Mens Tennis Forums banner

Masters Cup update

2K views 69 replies 8 participants last post by  esther 
#1 ·
Hewitt out of Masters Cup

Hewitt cup sacrifice
By Leo Schlink
October 9, 2003

LLEYTON HEWITT will make a multi-million dollar sacrifice in his quest to deliver Davis Cup triumph for Australia.

Hewitt - multi-million dollar sacrifice.

The former world No.1 will withdraw from a string of highly-lucrative European indoor events - and surrender all hope of defending the Masters Cup he has won for the past two years - to ensure he is at his peak for the Davis Cup final against Spain in Melbourne next month.

Hewitt, 22, last week underwent a procedure to remove a wart from his right foot and is now recovering in Adelaide, where he will begin preparations on Memorial Drive grass with his coach Roger Rasheed for the Davis Cup final.

Hewitt's management Octagon would not place a figure on Hewitt's commitment to the Australian cause but victories in Madrid, Paris and Stockholm and Basel would potentially earn him more than $2.5 million.

By opting out of the European swing, Hewitt has effectively lost hope of snaring a third Masters Cup trophy in Houston where, depending on round-robin results, the winner's cheque could be as high as $2.17 million.

Hewitt is also believed to have withdrawn from an exhibition in Portland the week after the Masters Cup, costing him another large appearance money cheque.

Industry estimates put Hewitt's average guarantee at $362,000 for International Series (gold) events and more for exhibitions.

Octagon vice-president Tom Ross last night praised Hewitt's decision, acknowledging Hewitt had willingly taken a financial hit to ensure he was in prime condition for the November 28-30 clash with Spain at Rod Laver Arena.

"He's making a number of sacrifices personally in terms of prizemoney, guarantees, ranking points and title defence at the Masters to give himself the best chance at the Davis Cup," Ross said

Hewitt said last night he was still unable to run after being treated with a course of injections, which would eventually cause the wart to wither and die.

"At the moment, I can't put too much weight on it and I can't run on it," he said. "But I'm on the bike and swimming."

Hewitt said he might have been able to persist with tournament plans despite the inconvenience of a sore right foot, but he wanted to be in top shape for the Spaniards, who won a sour final in Barcelona in 2000.

"The foot was not a huge dilemma," he said.

"It was bothering me some of the time, but I thought if I had it done now, I'd be right for the Davis Cup final.

"I could have kept playing and if I was playing for the dollars - and I could have got a lot of dollars by going to Europe -- you could end up jeopardising your Davis Cup preparations, which is not what you want to do.

"Davis Cup is a huge consideration for me.

"I could go over there (Europe) and chase (rankings) points to play the Masters Cup but, even if I did, that wouldn't give me enough time to get back to Australia and prepare properly for the Davis Cup final.

"It's not every day you get to play in a home Davis Cup final and I want to be ready for it."

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
1 Roddick, Andy (USA) 807

2 Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP) 726

3 Federer, Roger (SUI) 629

4 Agassi, Andre (USA) 605

5 Coria, Guillermo (ARG) 589

6 Schuettler, Rainer (GER) 535

7 Moya, Carlos (ESP) 398

8 Nalbandian, David (ARG) 358

9 Philippoussis, Mark (AUS) 321

10 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS) 290

11 Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA) 287

12 Schalken, Sjeng (NED) 283

#5 ·
Hewitt will not play any tournement this year, he has a footinjury and he wants to prepare himself for 100% for the daviscupfinal.
I hope spain can win this final!!!!! Train as much as you can, but i think we will see a big surprise, spanjards will win on grass!!!!

#6 ·
Okay, so as it stands now there are two places left at the Masters Cup and the ones in contention are more or less:

Moya, Carlos (ESP) 421 (429 and counting)
Nalbandian, David (ARG) 358 (now 358)
Philippoussis, Mark (AUS) 321 (now 329)
Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA) 287 (302 and counting)
Schalken, Sjeng (NED) 283 (now 291)
Srichaphan, Paradorn (THA) 279 (294 and counting)

Hewitt has pulled out of Madrid and Bercy and Nalbandian has pulled out of Madrid. Also, Philippoussis has lost in the 2nd round of Madrid and so has Schalken. Seb and Scrichaphan have already made the round of 16, Moya still has to play Gaudio. That (if I'm correct) gives Philippoussis and Schalken 8 points for this tournament, Seb and Scrichaphan at least 15 points and Moya at least 8 points.

That means Seb would have to make the SF in Madrid to overtake Philippoussis in the race this week. Can be done with Spadea in the 3rd round and either El Aynaoui or Ginepri in the QF. Good draw, could be a lot worse! Does anyone know Nalbandian's condition? Is he going to play Bercy?

And if a player has a 'bye' in the first round, do they still get the points for 'making' the 2nd round?

#7 ·
Let's not for forget that there is also another player going to the Masters as substitute (or is it 2?)

Of course it's better to be in the first 8 but if you're 9, you may still have a chance to play.
(BTW is Coria coming back for Paris?)

:bounce: Mark and Sjeng losing early :bounce (sorru guys but I really want Seb and Paradorn to make it to Houston!)

#8 ·
Isn't Moya a sure bet? I don't really know when it is exactly that you qualify. Is it when you get a certain amount of points or when there is to big a distance between you and the other guys?

So imho Moya and either Nalbandian (injured right now), Phipou (lost 2nd round Madrid) or Seb/Paradorn (still in the game at Madrid) will be placed to go to Houston. It's going to be hard but it can be done, like in 2001. That was a lot of fun, remember? Either way, Seb has a great chance of being 1st substitute.

#9 ·
hopefully Moya will lose early too! :devil:
yes I want Paradorn/Seb in the Masters Cup but i'd also like to see Mark going there...:confused:

#10 · (Edited)
RODDICK LOST RODDICK LOST RODDICK LOST!!!!!
and...SO DID MOYA!!!

So...AFTER THIRD ROUND:
7. Moya- 436 (out)
8. Nalbandian- 358 (out)
9. Philippousis- 322 (out)
10. Grosjean- 312 (Will play El Aynoui in QUARTERS)
12. Schrichapan- 304 (Will play FERRERO in QUARTERS)

*GO FERRERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
13. Schalken- 284 (out)
13. El Aynouai- 275 (Will play SEB in QUARTERS)

#12 ·
Seb lost :tears: :tears: :tears:
i'm really disapointed but i think it sounded like a really tight match...seb knows what he has to do from here so hopefully he's still got a chance from Houston...even though if would have been fantastic if he could have lessened the gap in the champs race with so many others beaten or injured at the moment...*sigh* oh well all is not lost...i'm positive but trying not to get my hopes up

#14 ·
still got to quarters here...and is really catching up and if only he could have overtaken philippousis...and nalbandian is injured it could have been so much better if he had just won ONE more match but i guess its always like that.
newayz the main thing is that he's healthy and he's positive...i was relaly hapy with what he said in his interview

#15 ·
Yeah, he should have started this coming back a little bit earlier :).. But then again he would have injuries and all that, so that's not okay either.. But quarters is good indeed.. But you know, when Seb loses (only big matches), I just feel bad about it for a whole day.. Especcialy when he loses like this.. But let's be positive... Next time better!!

#16 ·
no i think first round losses are worse but it really depends on the situation...like i guess this situation could be more painful if he misses out on Houston and he misses but those couple of points...but i dunno if that will happen newayz, but the positive is, he's gotten all these points from quarters and overtaken mark so all is not lost.
i dunno maybe i will be more sad tomorrow lol

#18 ·
yeah, see the updates? and seb was already higher than mark after 3rd round so do players get poitns for losing? i guess they wouldnt would they they would get them for REACHIGN which is the same thing newayz so seb is still between mark and nalbandian...unless schrichi overtakes somehow i dunno

#21 · (Edited)
So do we know what's next? I assume Seb is going to St. Petersburg to defend his title... But what will Nalbandian and Phipou do?

I've got to say "vamos JC!", beat Paradorn back to Thailand and far away from Houston :) and now all of a sudden El Aynaoui is threat as well... If he wins the title, he would overtake Seb in the race!

Juanqi :smash: and :boxing: Srichaphan or else I'll be :sobbing: and :bigcry:

#22 ·
sebgrosfan said:
Juanqi :smash: and :boxing: Srichaphan or else I'll be :sobbing: and :bigcry:
lol
well paradorns in stockholm, seb's going to defend ST petersburg,
philippoussis and nalbandian are meant to be in basel (along with arnaud, coria and jc)

#23 · (Edited)
ENTRY AFTER MADRID:

1 Ferrero 4,570

2 Roddick 4,235

3 Federer 3,925

4 Agassi 3,170

5 Coria 2,965

6 Schuettler 2,850

7 Moya 2,705

8 Hewitt 2,465

9 Nalbandian 2,070

10 Grosjean 1,870

#24 · (Edited)
Champions Race

1st Ferrero, J. 826

2nd Roddick, A. 822

3rd Federer, R. 700

4th Agassi, A. 605

5th Coria, G. 589

6th Schuettler, R. 569

7th Moya, C. 436

8th Nalbandian, D. 358

9th Philippoussis, M. 322

10th Grosjean, S. 312

11th Srichaphan, P. 304

12th El Aynaoui, Y. 295

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.