Mens Tennis Forums banner

Australian Open QR1: Johnson def. [WC] Kokkinakis 6-4 6-7(5) 17-15

3K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Dund 
#1 ·
Johnson led 5-2 in the second set and had a match point on serve at 5-3.

In the decider he had another match point at 5-3* and served for the match at 5-4.

Multiple choke from Steve, but he got away with it.

Kokkinakis was great when it mattered but had some kind of injury towards the end of the match.
Johnson plays De Schepper in R2.

#4 ·
feel bad for the young Aussie but he's got a great future ahead of him wow, he's played really well for a 16 year old.

Johnson :yeah:, but please don't choke 4 times next match

I got kinda annoyed with the announcers saying like 15 times that Johnson had only broken twice when he had actually broken 4 times, maybe I just have OCD, once I can let slide but please check to make sure something is correct before you repeat it 15 times

#5 ·
Not impressed by Johnson, his serve looks great but his return looks really weak. First time I've seen him play, so not sure if this is his usual, but he kept chipping the forhand return back way too much. He's going to need to learn to swing at the ball.

#6 ·
Great match to watch, some big points and I'm glad Johnson stepped up to take the victory.

However, this Kokkinakis kid did amazing, his serve is really good and he showed an impressive form for a 16-year old boy, he can make it far.

#18 ·
He's either even more vain than Lopez, or he's gay. That hair and that earring :facepalm:

#21 ·
Was intrigued by him as a fill-in at Hopman Cup. Nice to see him put up such a fight.

#24 ·
The Aussies look set to be the dominating force in around 5 years. Some of their kids are so far ahead of the rest in terms of development, it's almost unfair.

#25 ·
Cockinakis :hug:

#26 ·
I watched the match last night. Inspite of it was not one of Johnson's best matches (he wasted several chances and even serving for the match at 5-4 in the 3rd set he looked very nervous and frustrated he was unable to find a way to beat Kokkinakis). And the teenager Australian played a fantastic match. I was kind more impressed with his determination, the strategies he set along the match and his ability to keep his cold feet to close that 2nd set and keep on the match for almost 4 hours. He is still really young and has a long way yet but definitely seems to have a big potential. Definitely a name to write down to follow him in the future.

#28 ·
this kok is developing some serious balls, but too deflated in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.