Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nadal is the tennis player with the most weeks at No. 2 in the world?

22K views 111 replies 49 participants last post by  SetSampras 
#1 ·
Does anyone have this statistic?

#4 ·
I don't have the exact number, but yes, Nadal has spent the most time at #2 of all time.

Johnston, Lawford, Rosewall, all spent 4 years as #2, no one was ever 5 years at #2 like Nadal.

#6 ·
Yet. Transitional number 1 :) He has been number 1 during clay season, and when the competition was at it's lowest in 2010. Great achievement huh?

#7 ·
Crazy to spend that long at #2.

#12 · (Edited)
He only started "owning" Fed in 2008 when he entered his prime. 8-6 before that isn't owning.

#19 ·
nadal will always be remembered as the second fiddle, the only reason he was able to reach number 1 was because roger got mono in 2008 and the twins were borned the year after so roger cdnt focus and didnt have time to train properly. nadal really need to thank the twins and buy them huge birthday presents every year, because without them he wd never have won the us open and complete the career slam

#35 ·
Nadal is beating his rivals so often because when he's not in top form he's a lot more vulnerable to lesser-ranked players.

Hence, he usually plays the top guns on his best days as well as on days when the top guys are not always close to their best.

#42 ·
Learn not to interpret everything literally and then we'll talk, clown. :lol:

#56 ·
So you're saying that you're just trolling? Because you really didn't add anything to this dicussion.

But You still didn't answer the question !!!

How is it possible to have a No 2 where he has winning record over the Current No 1 (Djokovic) and the previous No 1 (Federer) and still spend the most time behind them ???

Answer the question properly !!! :rolleyes:

Well, part of the reason is that Nadal is often injured and/or exhausted at the end of the season.
If you cnnot play that often and miss some big tournaments, it shows in your ranking point breakdown.

#50 ·
#62 ·
#65 ·
Well, it wasn't even "match-up" wise, but you couldn't say that Rafa was a clear favourite in every one of their matches like you've been able to for the most part after 09. Both guys for the most part took care of their best surfaces and then in 08 Roger's confidence vs Rafa took a freefall, perhaps starting with that Hamburg defeat.

#79 ·
Now I've heard everything - a "non-competitive" nature lets you win 17 Grand Slams, and record 302 weeks in the No. 1 spot. Oh and a number of people besides Djokovic were already crimping Nadal's slam count after he recorded his first GS -- people like Ferrer, Blake, Youzhny, Hewitt, Gonzalez, Tsonga, Rosol and Darcis

#97 ·
Many many times most of them say they are injured etc... but that's really nothing special and not surprising. Most tennis players are quite feminine and pussies :D Look at those clothes they use outside the court in civil life. Most of them look like metrosexuals. I wouldn't use those clothes even if i got paid :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.