Mens Tennis Forums banner

Frederico Gil

32K views 167 replies 32 participants last post by  joaodias69 
#1 ·
Fredrico Gil

This guy is playing in his home countries only ATP Event this week in Estoril, Portugal and he doesn't even need a Wild Card! Vamos!

#31 ·
Re: Fredrico Gil

:sad:
Damn unlucky draw again! Gil played well, but Simon was just better in the decisive moments.
I hope Gil might secure some decent points in the next two weeks, otehrwise it's relying all on Estoril where he would need at least a SF to remain at Top-100 (best case scenario, I think he needs around 90 points from one tournament, or 100 from two, in the next four weeks, if he doesn't want to play Wimby Qualies).
But he's playing really well, I think he can make it!
A good run in Monte Carlo would be 2 wins at qualifying and a win on first round. Am I dreaming too much? I think not!
C'mon Gil!

#34 ·

:sad:

A good run in Monte Carlo would be 2 wins at qualifying and a win on first round. Am I dreaming too much? I think not!
C'mon Gil!
As you can see from previous post, better rum Then IN my Dreams now.
Great victory today, NeXT Clownfils, it's not impossible, since he comes from injury...
I'm positive that he already secured a direct entrance IN Wimbledon, even if NeXT week CH and Estoril turn into a disaster. But I really expect the Best, since He's playing so well.
Go Gil!

#33 ·

What a clear message! In-form clay-courter. Took down Stakhovsky, a top-40 in a solid fashion (6-1 6-3), after demolition work in Qualies.
Next F. Mayer, Gil beat him last year in Estoril, decent chance. Then, back-from-injury Monfils?
Must have been an agressive display, not many long rallies, I imagine, due to duration of match.
This is what he needs to advance a bit more and climb in the ranks, before Estoril (home tournament, final last year, lots of points to defend).

Go Gil!!!

#35 ·

He defended Estoril Points enven before it starts Estoril. No he almost got no pressure. Even playing like that will be hard to repeat the final of last year cause this feild is too good, but with a good draw he can reach at least QF or SF at his best.

#36 ·

:worship::worship::worship:
What Gil achieved today is beyond what words can describe, for a Portuguese Tennis fan, but I'll try (this might seem exagerated, but this is really the first MS QF ever for a Portuguese player...).
He played like a portuguese had never played before. He is our best player ever, and I saw him play last year at Estoril Open, where he reached the final, and it was mostly heart and will. This is also his hignest rank points in one week, since he acummulated already 205 points in Monte Carlo.
Today, he was a machine, reaching to every ball, getting the corners or the lines at almost every point, and with a lot less unforced errors than Clownfils.
Monfils was great at first set (Certinfy called this first set the set of the year), just exhausted in the second set.
I think that first set was at least the set of a lifetime, something for Gil to see over and over again. Gil was a true warrior, but with a lot of class in it.
So, he is not a Top-10 player, he lacks destroying weapons, but now I'm more confident that he will reach Top-50. He will reach his best ever rank next week, what ever is the result tomorrow.
But maybe tomorrow he makes it, can you imagine... I think that he stands some chances against Murray, if he's fit, althought it's beyond my wildest dreams.
We'll see, but today was the most glorious page of Portuguese Tennis yet, I can tell you.
One might think that a lot of goods are to come, from the likes of GastĂŁo Elias or Frederico Silva, but the fact is that, with Gil in this form, the future is now!!!

#39 ·
Re: Barcelona Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated April 12, 2011)

can't Gil still get that SE? Smucav has it cleared so it must be right but in theory he could, I guess maybe he denied wanting it or something? I thought he could still get it even if he withdrew from this entry list, or has he entered a challenger or something?

and yesh222, there is a site I refer to that has the entry lists, but last time I posted the link it got deleted so I assume it isn't allowed to be posted:confused:

#49 ·
Re: Barcelona Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated April 14, 2011)

But nobody used SE in last year in Shanghai...

Anyway I really don't know. :confused:
I asked about it before that players round 2 match, I was told if he did reach the SF he would be eligible, he lost round 2, he wasn't eligible. I was told that if he did make the SF he would be eligible, I never said nothing about him actually getting that far and using it:confused:

#51 ·
It seems that Gil has changed coach once again. He left Cunha e Silva (again) and is starting to work on experimental basis with To Van Grichen, former coach of Azarenka (took her from nowhere to top ten), Ivanovic, Cirstea, etc. First experience on men's tennis, though...
Let's see if it works, but Gil really had to do something: from Masters Monte Carlo QF and best rank ever, to out of Top 100 in four months, losing to everybody. So, can't get worse. Go Gil!

#52 ·
After two more first-round losses (Winston Salem and US Open), To Van Grichen told the portuguese press that this was just a quick period of common training, never to be extended, since Gil wants to live and train in Portugal, and van Grichen always wanted to stay at the US. So, we'll hear about a new coach in the next weeks, certainly. Gil will probably play GenovaCH without a coach, and then he has a week rest, before ATP Bucharest, maybe by then we'll have some new info...

#53 ·
Fred overall has had an awful season which is really unfortunate. Basically two good tournaments, Monte Carlo and qualifying and making R2 in Sydney. He's only won back to back matches 4 times, and not made any SF at any level. He's got to find a way to pick it up and start winning. Hopefully a new coach brings renewed confidence.

#55 ·
Fred is playing shit, and had a all shity season, but I think he already did enough to Top-100 season end, and Aussie Open Direct Acceptance. Top-100 normally closes around 530 points (lot of guys loosing big points in 80-100 spot), and he can´t go down that amount. It´s amazing how you can finish in Top100, with only one very good tournament in all season, and than just average or very bad performance.
Buk he still as a good number of CH in South America to play this year, and then let´s rest and get a good coach for pre-season.
Go Gil!

#57 ·
What a hell of a way to finish a season. Gil lost to his friend and my other portuguese fav, Gastso Elias, after holding two MP. But still, Gastao needed this points more, to secure Top 200 finish. What an amazing year for Gastao, appart from injuries, shitty year for Gil, only one very good tournament at Monte Carlo. But secured Aussie Open direct acceptance. See you next year, Gil!

#58 ·
Gil has a new coach for the first months of next season, the spanish Juan Esparcia, who coached until recently with some success the also spanish GGL. Let´s see if things work out this time, he really needs some decent results in the first tournaments, to secure his Top-100 spot and regain some confidence in his game. Go Fred!

#60 ·
Gil has now won back-to-back matches at Aussie Open 2011 and 2012! So important to set his mind, and reinforce his belief that he is a Top-100 player. Now, a decent chance tomorrow, it was a good draw, hope he can take advantage of it, he has three months to collect 275 points just to stay in Top-100. Go Gil! You have to show the way for the youngsters to come, GastĂŁo and Frederico Ferreira da Silva!

#62 ·
Such an important win today against Granollers in Aussie Open round 2. First in Portuguese mens tennis history. Now, back inTop-100, and a huge boost of confidence in his new game, his new coach, his new racket. Gil is once again a Top-100, I'm sure that also in his mind now!

#63 ·
After a great start to the season at the Aussie Open, and now a decent ATP250 Vina del Mar in singles (QF), and a victory in doubles (which gives a lot of confidence), skies cleared a bit. Gil needs to secure about 200 points until mid-April (Monte Carlo week) to secure Top-100 for most of the season, and GS direct acceptance, beggining in Roland Garros. If he manages this 200 points, it will be possible to attack something near top-50 till the end of the season, assuming his good form endures. But, for now, really, the main challenge is to get 200 points in about two months. Otherwise, he will go through qualies at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, and that is always a downturn in a players career, with unpredictable outcome. But all reasons to believe that he will make it, since he just won an ATP event, even if it was the doubles draw. Go Gil!

#64 ·
Fred lost in R1 of Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires and as of right now, his provisional is #84. He's in the MD of Indian Wells, as he lost in the final round of qualifying but received a LL position. He plays another qualifier, Rhyne Williams, in the first round, so a win is absolutely necessary. After Indian Wells, Fred is playing the Dallas challenger in Texas, then Miami qualifying. He'll need to continue to win as many matches as possible as a buffer for the Monte Carlo points that will drop.

Qualifying at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon is a real possibility at this point, however Fred has done enough to put himself in position to regain a top 100 spot during the summer, where he doesn't defend much, and make the USO MD and AO MD in 2013. It's all up to Fred to continue to have the decent season he's had and cut out all bad losses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.