Mens Tennis Forums banner

Miami 2009

3K views 58 replies 13 participants last post by  sigmagirl91 
#1 ·
David's quarter:

(4) Andy Murray (GBR) vs BYE
Marc Gicquel (FRA) vs Juan Monaco (ARG)
(WC) Ryan Sweeting (USA) vs Nicolas Massu (CHI)
BYE vs (27) Mardy Fish (USA)

(24) Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs BYE
Stefan Koubek (AUT) vs Albert Montanes (ESP)
Viktor Troicki (SRB) vs Nicolas Devilder (FRA)
BYE vs (14) David Nalbandian (ARG)

(12) Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) vs BYE
Igor Kunitsyn (RUS) vs Guillermo Canas (ARG)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs Bobby Reynolds (USA)
BYE vs (18) Radek Stepanek (CZE)

(32) Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs BYE
Gilles Muller (LUX) vs Sam Querrey (USA)
QUALIFIER vs (WC) Jesse Levine (USA)
BYE vs (8) Fernando Verdasco (ESP)

See less See more
#29 ·
Don't blame him for that, the sun was obstrucking him and he did not want to risk it. End of set with a DF.

#28 ·
Yup, very lazy movement... As a result he is putting most of his shots from both wings into the net.

#32 ·
*0-1. Wind, lazy movement, this torture could be over in less than an hour.

#33 ·
1-1*, but I don't understand what is David doing? When you have a wind of court you should lower your toss, he is still tossing the ball high as ever. That is why he had 30% first serve in in the first set. :mad:

#34 ·
David being killed with dropshots, that says how bad he is moving.:eek:

#37 ·
Well, this is going to be his 5th exit in first match played in Miami. It became sort of a tradition. :shrug:

#40 ·
He had a chance BP to get back in the match, but with this kind of display he doesn't deserve it.

#41 ·
Troicki is choking, but David can not get advantage of that.

#42 ·
It is over. David had 2 BP to get that break back in the last game but Troicki served very good on them.

#49 ·
Hmm. That match reminded me a bit of the one against Ferrero at last year's AO. Worst possible start and then some improvement. But too little and way too late...
Exactly, but it was more that Troicki choked a bit and played passive and tentative than David playing much better.

#45 ·
WOW...David never fails to surprise!! a bad one this time. I didn't expect him to lose to Troicki :mad:
Didn't see the match but as I read he played really bad, I'm afraid it's the effect of the last Nadal match (hope not)

Get your confidence back David, and please get a serve. 30% 1st serve, what the...anyways hope he has a better luck in the clay court season!

#50 ·
It was nowhere near enough. It came far too late. And those two shots in the final game (the easy forehand and the drop-shot) really broke his neck. What I don't understand is - what has become of David's ability to turn around matches? To come back from virtually hopeless situations?
Apart from that, throughout the second set I kept asking myself not only how he could possibly take that match to a third set. But also whether he'd be fit enough for a third set...

#48 ·
:rolleyes:
Predictable!
Just like last year, after a hard loss in IW (Nadal/Fish) an early exit in two easy sets in his first match (Troicki/Malisse).
This is getting really boring.

#55 ·
Clearly, he's still not well from that virus. I don't think he ever had a virus, but that's another news flash/story altogether.
Ehhhh, I wish I could have the ability to believe in that. Maybe we should be prepared to use the virus excuse until the indoor season. ;)

#57 ·
Such a shame, cause he was indeed the player who was able to turn around matches even on MPs and most of the commentators are saying just that, without noticing that was the ability he already lost long time ago.

#58 ·
That's exactly the point, Krystle.
I mean, the first set today was shocking. I'd be fine with that if it was just a bad or even horrible day he had now and then. But what I find alarming is not only his more recent tendency to fail at closing out sets/matches. It's also that once he's down a set and maybe also a break, there's practically no way he'll recover from that.
Both signs that he's struggling mentally. And in my opinion, it all began at the DC final...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.