Mens Tennis Forums banner

#Support the Swiss *** DC SF vs Italy

7K views 166 replies 19 participants last post by  SUKTUEN 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Good luck to Olderer and the other mugs :D

#12 ·
Hopp Schwiiz :D

that crowd, wow. The place looks packed, and it's only wednesday haha.
Anyway, I'm confident for this sf. Both Fed and Stan have great records against Fognini and Seppi, and the doubles, while tough, is winnable. Hopp!

#22 · (Edited)
Have lots of fun, Eden.

Match Report by Chris Bowers
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND: Roger Federer will be first out on court for the Swiss on Friday as the nation bids to reach its first Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Final for 22 years.

Thursday's draw saw the 18-time Grand Slam champion (sic) pitched against Italy's Simone Bolelli for the first match, and Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka will follow against Italian No. 1 Fabio Fognini.

For the time being at least, Federer and Wawrinka are back again on Saturday as the power combination for the doubles, against Paolo Lorenzi and Andreas Seppi.

Bolelli was a surprise pick as the Italian No. 2, as at No. 76 he is ranked 28 places behind Seppi, who played singles in both rounds this year to help Italy reach its first Davis Cup semifinal since 1998. It's likely however that Italian Captain Corrado Barazzutti felt that Federer's 10-0 record against Seppi would do him no favours in this crucial encounter, and neither would Wawrinka's 8-3 record against Seppi. Bolelli has less history against both Swiss, although he still has losing records.

The odds appear to be stacked in favour of the hosts in the next few days. Although Italy leads previous Davis Cup encounters 3-2, Switzerland has never lost on home soil to the Italians and won their last two match-ups. Add in the fervent local support of 15,000 fans in the Palexpo over the next three days and Italy's No. 1 Fabio Fognini will need all the passion he can muster and a repeat of his heroics in the quarterfinal against Great Britain.

More soon...

The full draw is as follows:

Roger Federer (SUI) v Simone Bolelli (ITA)

Stan Wawrinka (SUI) v Fabio Fognini (ITA)

Roger Federer/Stan Wawrinka (SUI) v Paolo Lorenzi/Andreas Seppi (ITA)

Roger Federer (SUI) v Fabio Fognini (ITA)

Stan Wawrinka (SUI) v Simone Bolelli (ITA)

Read more at http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/184138.aspx#m6O0XX8spGf6gVwh.99
PS: I added "(sic)", as Chris Bowers inadvertently alluded to Fed as the 18-time Grand Slam Champion

#24 ·
I'm a little bit afraid that Stan will screw up, like in the QF against Golubev, and he wasn't good against Kukushkin either. I just hope he can play okay, that will be probably be enough. Just don't give us the horrible performance like in the QF.

Fed shouldn't have any problems.

#82 ·
Yeah, right on both counts :D Was Fog particularly bad, or was Stan on fire?

needs to cut down on the UEs... that would help
Couldn't believe the UE count - from both players, actually.

Fed willl ya stop farting around and wrap up the set!!! grrr
I seem to remember saying something like that around that time, too :)

Looking good now :) I expect they'll rest Fedrinka and let the other guys play doubles.
Sounds from the feedback I've seen so far as though they ought to, for Fed's sake. Seems to me he's overplayed this last month or so: he's already indicated that he didn't expect to do as well as he did at Toronto and Cincy, and then he went further at the USO than in the previous couple of years too. After all, he hasn't played all three since before 2012. I won't be at all surprised if he pulls out of Shanghai, because I think he needs a rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.