Mens Tennis Forums banner

*~* Alex Bogdanovic *~*

27K views 417 replies 44 participants last post by  Count Zero 
#1 · (Edited)
Alex bogdanovic is making a steady rise up the rankings playing mostly challengers at the moment.
His most memorable moment this year has to be opening wimbledon championships on centre court against roger federer and he performed really well, he didn't roll over.
I think he deserves to be recognised and supported...he's british tennis's future...

Date of Birth: 22 May 1984
Place of Birth: Belgrade, Yugoslavia
Lives: London
Height: 1.81m
Weight: 65kg
Handed: Left Handed
Singles: Ranking 171

This week he's playing in a challenger in manchester and is playing his quarterfinal after beating the number 3 and 4 seeds in earlier rounds. Today he plays mark hilton another young brit

GOOD LUCK ALEX!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Attachments

See less See more
#406 ·
I didn't get to see Alex's match at all. I have no idea when he played since I could not figure out for the life of me what the OOP meant. I was there until the end of the day when it started raining and it appeared that Alex had played in the early afternoon. It wasn't on a show court since I saw all of those match. Where and when he played I haven't got a clue.

The court I'm assuming he played on was an outside court where I wouldn't be able to take photos anyway. Those courts are surrounded my fence and those pictures come out terrible. Sorry!

I'm planning on attending the US Open qualies next week so I'll try to get more photos then of Alex.

#408 ·
I tried to take as many Alex photos today as possible :)

He came back so many times in the first set. Lacko served for it, but Alex broke back. Then in the tiebreak Lacko had an early lead, but Alex fought back. He had a chance for a set point, but then he hit a shot out and the set went to Lacko. He immediately was broken in the 2nd set and the break held to the end. Brad was really encouraging though telling him to "stay positive and keep fighting Al." John Lloyd was there as well. Fun match though and a pretty big crowed.

Attachments

#409 ·
thnaks for the report and photos.
have to say i am very dissapointed with alex lsoing this one, if he want to get to the top 100 he cant afford to lose matches like this.
however the fact john lloyd was there might explain something as he never plays well when he watches.

#412 ·
To be honest i dont see that Duncan.

if Alex were to retire from tennis he would have to go into coaching and i just dont think that is for him (yet). He can make a living from the pro tour, and whilst this loss to Lacko was dissapointing this summer itsself has been decent. He competed at tougher challengers in the US (rather than the easier ones in asia) and did ok, winning 1, reaching 2 qf's and a 2nd rd, picking up 95ish points which is bad. He also got some decent wins along the way over the likes of Kendrick, A.Beck & Udomchoke and he is moving his ranking back in the right direction. if he can stay injury free the points has to defend over the indoor season are managable and hopefully he will finish the year inside the top 150. From there he can make a fresh assault on the top 100.

i agree he hasnt had the sucsess we belive he should have had in his career, but i think he has to still keep on pushing at it, if he can find a way to get in the top 100 and play atp most weeks i think he will stay there, he should also make some nice sponsorship money as he is english (even with hsi surname) which really does help in that regard.

ps thanks for the mini vid S4R

#413 ·
I think this years progress has been down to Gilbert though and as far as i know that partnership ends shortly? Plus is his funding not being taken away again? He will soon be on his own as far as money is concerned. Unless he breaks into top 100 before end of year his career could be pretty much finished.

#414 ·
his relationship with BG has ended now that is true, but as far as i am aware he hs not been cut off by the lta (and i would almost certinaly know). He is still training at the NTC (when he's in london) and the lta will contiune to provide him with coaching services. For the time being he will not have a 1 on 1 coach, but will have a shared coach with the likes of Josh Goodall. A coach wont travel with him to every event but will perhaps be at some that both he and josh is at.

Its very hard to know what the recent up turn in form for Alex is down too. he has had Brad since xmas but its only around wimby that he managed to get a few decent wins and get some confidence back. Alex had got himself to his best ranking (108) with peter lundgren, and looked fairly set to make the top 100 before a injury wiped out a large part of last year post wimby.

i dont see him breaking the top 100 by the end of the year, of course its possible, but i dont think its relaistic, he didnt earn enough points at the start of the year to make it feasible. Year end rankings arnt the be all and end all, as its a running system, if he can end the year inside the top 150, or possibly the top 130 then i think he could be in a good position to break the top 100 next year, remember this year he had the DC early part of the season which really knocked his early season plans out of kilter, indoor hard courts have been his best hunting ground in years gone by and he missed a few weeks of them for the DC in Argentina, both in events played and preparation. ok the DC will be around next year, but we cant get agrentina away, nor australia away so hopefully it wont be too bad.

if you think alex should retire, what about all the other slighlty older players that not even doing as well as him like jonny marry or richard bloomfield?

#415 ·
I aint saying he should retire. I just think that with him being the age he is and still not being able to make that breakthrough then i think he would consider it. Alex is one of my favourite players but its painful to see him struggle down where he is when his potential has always been huge.

Marray and Bloomfield should retire IMO.

#416 ·
just a quick update on boggo post DC. He has struggled since the Tie, initially with a hamstring injury he picked up vs Melzer then unable to find a win in any of his last 3 events:

Losing to Gabashvilli (understandable), and tight loses De Chaunac and Karol Beck, mean that Alex is having a fairly dire end to the year. He has opted to take a training break rather than play an ATPQ and will play a couple of challengers in the states hoping for a change of fortunes before heading back to europe for the final few events.
would be nice if he can get a couple of decent results and maybe end the year close to over even inside the top 150. he doesnt have much to defend early next year so could make some gains then, at least there wont be a DC tie in argentina to contend with.

#418 ·
another poor loss by alex today, losing to comfortably to players he has easily beaten in the summer shows the dramatic turn around he has suffered after the DC tie. i personally think he just stop for the year and take a break. try and make sure he is fully focussed for the start of next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.