Mens Tennis Forums banner

In my opinion, the Challenger Tour Finals should be...

5K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  duong 
#1 ·
Held in Spain.

No, seriously- Why is Bellucci even allowed to play there? Its terrible, how can anyone take the Challenger Tour Finals seriously?

See less See more
#5 ·
It's not like Bellucci is a mentally solid player anyway.

#6 ·
The event should be scrapped IMO. It makes no sense.

#9 ·
they should change the name to "Bellucci Invitational" and make it an exho

#24 ·
But he can be seeded though with those pathetic points from here, shameful ending of great 2012 year.
So, he should be seeded, he's a top 32 player IMO, he did get points from it last season, though I suppose it's not a tourney where you have to defend?

#15 ·
Because if a Brazilian doesnt play there it doenst get attendance maybe. Remember that is a 220 k event with only challenger players.

Besides, the idea for this event came from a brazilian ex-player, Thomaz Koch. If you are gonna to criticize the event, at least know that the initiative came from brazilians that are eager to pay challenger players a lot of money (6,300 for losing in three rounds). Now, if another country wants to hold the same event and pay the same, then you can change the place.

The price of the tickets are 2,50us$ and 5,00 us$ by the way.

You all want to rise the prize money for challenger players but cant accept a wc to a local player?

#16 ·
Nationality-biased post.

If you want to give a WC to somebody (stupid anyway) give it to Thiago Alves and not that freaking vulture Bellucci WHO IS ATP TOUR PLAYER AND NOT CHALLENGER TOUR PLAYER. But he is the Vulture, not Ferrer or Monaco.

#18 ·
other players than bellucci are solid challenger league, though i think the level could be really nice if it was on clay, they're all junkballers (maybe except bellucci, who is the best on clay but also has results elsewhere)

if the ones who earned their place would be in (klizan, janowicz, donskoy) they could be more competitive for bellucci

as for stebe, it's not like he had such a fantastic 2011... he's just a young guy gathering experience, it seems he just peaked in the challenger tour finals week with the level :lol:

#38 ·
as for stebe, it's not like he had such a fantastic 2011... he's just a young guy gathering experience, it seems he just peaked in the challenger tour finals week with the level :lol:
Stebe has had a lot of injuries this year but he's showed since then that he's talented enough to compete with the big guys imo.

But last year yes his rankings did improve a lot thanks to weak-field Asian challengers.

What didn't look fair then still allowed a talented young player to emerge.

#19 ·
it should be played in Bruxelles, WC to Ollie Rochus.

#21 ·
Bellucci plays it because he is from Brasil and it is held there, but the WC is a bit odd.

#26 ·
It has to do with the atp because they award ranking points, it feels not right to have a tournament organized in such a way to reward participation for challenger players and then award a WC, its totally fine if some Brazilian wants to had a tournament and give out lots of prize money by if said tournament is sanctioned by the ATP, gives out ranking points and has such a name as the ATP Challanger finals then it should rewards entrants in abetted way than giving out a WC to a player who doesn't play challengers, its an unfair advantage for Bellucci in terms of gettin a better ranking, one that players around him can't get entry into through regular means because they can't enter challengers.

I'm totally fine with some Brazilians shelling out money to challenger level players giving a WC to Bellucci and calling it the challenger level Brazilian invitational. But since its involved with the atp in such a manner they shouldn't be allowed to hand out a WC to whoever they want just because its their money and their idea

#28 ·
I agree that this WC is as exclusive as it gets, however other tourney's can be quite exclusive with their WC's too.

#29 ·
I'm a hardcore Bellucci supporter, a brazilian, and I think this wildcard is an outrage. Just think how unfair it is to the first guy not to qualify to the tournament. Besides that, Bellucci is not at the same level as the others.

#32 ·
Bellucci has played this event at least once, last year he did not do that well, maybe wasn't that motivated, so he might not play to his level, probably uses it for practice more than anything.

#37 ·
Lets be honest, go check the official site, the tournament is a partnership between the Brazilian Federation and ATP. The biggest interest in making this tournament is still the brazil crew who got the sponsors. If ATP wants to make it a fair tournament, they must search for another country that wants to make the tournament with the 8 best players, but I dont think any country wants to host it, so the challenger players should thank Brazil this tournament as a bonus, and not complain like Klizan did last year.

#39 · (Edited)
exactly, that's economy, there was an opportunity and they did it, that's all :shrug:

and it may well not last long, yes :shrug:

Why was it endorsed by the ATP ? because it helped to improve the visibility then the economy of the challenger tournaments :shrug: (and it seemed partly effective for that from all of the gossipings on that challenger finals although of course it's aonly a very small marketting step on the whole challenger economy problem)

#44 ·
Here's a thought: Just invite the top8 challenger tour players, award them point etc.
After round robin matches from Saturday through Thursday, semis on Friday and the final on Friday, we'll crown the new Challenger tour champion.

But wait, that's not it yet.

Just when the winner thinks he's done playing, things will get interesting.
Smoke fills the arena, lights dim and when the smoke is gone and lights are back on, there he is.
"Tomorrow, double or nothing, same time, same place, be there."
Yes, on Sunday, there will be the final battle against the fearsome end boss Thomaz Bellucci!

#50 ·
Yeah that's what surprises me, most of the players hi dominate the challenger for are clay players(why is that? Are there more clay challengers?), and Brazil is more known for clay courters, why do they play it on hard?

#47 ·
abolished.

#58 ·
I think the deal is simple : it's either all of the conditions or nothing, the tournament would just not exist without all of these conditions (I think it will disappear in a few years anyway as this balance is too fragile and the success doesn't look big enough)

And the idea from the ATP's point of view is that this event is good for the visibility of the challenger Tour and then for the economy of this challenger tour ... and then for the prize money which players get in the end (not ideal of course but rather good)

That's economy, even if I know of course that economy is a topic which people don't want to take in consideration in this forum :rolleyes:

#62 ·
Yes, in Bellucci's match (evening) the public was better, but during all day the public was weak.

Wow, that's the exact opposite of the O2's audience. Brazilians really don't like tennis that much. If ATP has balls, they will move this event in a more welcoming country, despite the fact that Brazilians came up with the idea. But that's another matter, probably duong will be right.
Here we have the sponsor's problem again.

From everything I read Brazil is very fond of tennis, in general south America seems to be the part of the world most fond of tennis, tickets for Fed's exhos were sold very quickly and there are many challengers and futures tournaments in Brazil and quite many young players emerging.

I don't think it's the problem.

But I do think that there's a real problem in the recognition of the challenger tour in the public, and that's a big part of the reason why the prize money has not increased for long and even more worrying, the number of challengers keeps on declining.

There may be other topics more specific to that tournament, like the fact that the arena is very big :shrug:
The true is there are many people who like tennis here, but just about the top players, Davis Cup and sometimes when brazilian guys are in play. This explain the empty stadium of challenger finals during the day. The arena has 10,000 of capacity.

#60 ·
Wow, that's the exact opposite of the O2's audience. Brazilians really don't like tennis that much. If ATP has balls, they will move this event in a more welcoming country, despite the fact that Brazilians came up with the idea. But that's another matter, probably duong will be right.

#61 ·
From everything I read Brazil is very fond of tennis, in general south America seems to be the part of the world most fond of tennis, tickets for Fed's exhos were sold very quickly and there are many challengers and futures tournaments in Brazil and quite many young players emerging.

I don't think it's the problem.

But I do think that there's a real problem in the recognition of the challenger tour in the public, and that's a big part of the reason why the prize money has not increased for long and even more worrying, the number of challengers keeps on declining.

There may be other topics more specific to that tournament, like the fact that the arena is very big :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.