Mens Tennis Forums banner

Olek Dolgopolov Jr.

92K views 477 replies 70 participants last post by  TNX1.0E6TOPCA 
#1 · (Edited)
This Ukrainian kid seems to be pretty talented. Hasn't even turned 18 yet, started the year ranked in the 1400s and is now at #374. :eek:

He has won not less than five futures titles this year and loves playing on clay. Lives in Kiev, coached by his father who was a pro in the 80's, plays right-handed with a double-handed backhand.

Has anyone ever seen him play? I believe the other 1988s like Korolev, Del Potro and Cilic have some company here (without the same amount of hype surrounding him of course).

Started at age 3, "I was training with Andrei Medvedev and started to play tennis".

Hobbies: Play soccer and fish

Favourite player: Marcelo Rios, "I guess I just like him". :p

See less See more
#177 ·
Well said, and Lorenzi is pretty much a nobody, but he has become a top 100 player the same way Dolgo did, by winning challengers.

But as you said, he is still young and let's hope this is a learning process, but it would be very well if he gets some ATP-wins to gain confidence. And he still has three months before his first points will drop off, so he has some chances on ATP-level by that time I guess. Let's evaluate some more then.

Meanwhile, maybe it would have been a better idea to play Tunis this week, instead of Rome qualis. So maybe one or two challengers, to get some rhytm and wins, combined with smaller ATP-events which he can enter directly.

#188 ·
I like Ace drop-shot Ventura a hell of a lot, but Dolgo needs to win this match so ridiculously badly. Santi hasn't won a match since February. These are the types of matches Olek won in challenger events, so I don't see why he would lose this match. If he does, then there is clearly something not right with him.

Don't even want to think of his next opponent, got to take things one step at a time. Good luck Dolgo!

#191 · (Edited)
I know most people dont want to hear about it, but there has been a big odds drift on betfair in the olek match(odds have gone from 1.45 to 2.6)

dont be surprised if he loses, someone seems to know something here

30000 euro waiting to be matched @ 2 on ace ventura

really hope olek proves me wrong today

#204 · (Edited)
That was an unfortunate situation. Even with little experience with knowledge of fixing, I could tell pretty quick it was a fix. Why is he doing it? Probably because he's a scared and ignorant kid from a place where fixing is prevalent, because he has no money, and probably because he thinks this is the best way for him to make a living. If he would actually win matches on the ATP tour he could get money easier and more honestly, but I'm guessing he doesn't believe in himself either.

Really, Dolgo just has a lot of growing up and maturing to do, which is why I'll still support him, because I'm assuming he'll grow out of this and do better down the line. But he's CLEARLY let it be known he is not ready for the ATP tour right now.

#207 ·
So, Dolgo is scheduled to play in Madrid tomorrow for qualifying, we'll see if he is healthy or not, would be interesting if he recovers from his "serious" injury in about 3-4 days.

The qualifying list is weak so he should qualify, if he is healthy enough to play at 100% or close to it.

#208 ·
Here is Olek's section of the draw at Madrid qualifying:

(4) DOLGOPOLOV JR., Oleksandr UKR v (WC) MENENDEZ-MACEIRAS, Adrian ESP
(WC) GOMEZ-HERRERA, Carlos ESP v (8) FISH, Mardy USA

Obviously he should win this section, but after what happened in Munich and his possible injury situation and obvious lack of confidence, I'm not certain he will make it through here. He must do so really, however, no excuses if he doesn't. Hopefully he gets the job done. Good luck to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.