Mens Tennis Forums banner

Olek Dolgopolov Jr.

92K views 477 replies 70 participants last post by  TNX1.0E6TOPCA 
#1 · (Edited)
This Ukrainian kid seems to be pretty talented. Hasn't even turned 18 yet, started the year ranked in the 1400s and is now at #374. :eek:

He has won not less than five futures titles this year and loves playing on clay. Lives in Kiev, coached by his father who was a pro in the 80's, plays right-handed with a double-handed backhand.

Has anyone ever seen him play? I believe the other 1988s like Korolev, Del Potro and Cilic have some company here (without the same amount of hype surrounding him of course).

Started at age 3, "I was training with Andrei Medvedev and started to play tennis".

Hobbies: Play soccer and fish

Favourite player: Marcelo Rios, "I guess I just like him". :p

See less See more
#176 ·
Becoming another Lorenzi would mean he literally becomes a nobody who never sees the daylight of ATPs ever again after a fluke run. I don't think he's that bad, but he's starting to show himself as a Daniel or Vassallo type. He's still young, so now is the time to establish himself, and live up to the hype and potential.

#175 ·
It's too early yet to make the determination of what Dolgo is as a player, but the past 6 months, he's had chances to qualify and has been in a few ATP events directly, and has struggled mightily. A lot of it is mental, since it is hard for challenger guys to actually feel like they deserve to be on the main tour, unless they prove they do, and Olek hasn't yet. He also is too patchy and inconsistent in general, which may be due to his age and lack of matches against quality opponents.

It will be time to worry around July if he is still struggling on the ATP tour, because he has a hell of a lot of points to defend from July forward. This is his opportunity now to really do damage, so lets hope he takes advantage of this situation, because this may be the only chance he gets for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.