Mens Tennis Forums banner

2013 Cheering Thread

32K views 452 replies 27 participants last post by  Ball toss fault 
#1 ·
Hoping for a good 2013 season.

Ryan is No.4 on the alternate list for Brisbane.

#288 ·
He played well the first three sets. He just didn't win the big points when he needed to. He's playing better than he was earlier in the year, so I'm hoping he can turn things around on the hard courts this summer.

#299 ·
With this loss to Isner, he's now 130 (according to live ATP rankings). Jack Sock and Denis Kudla are in the 80s. After Newport last year, he was 42. Hopefully, he can turn things around in the next few months. I'm starting to lose hope that Harrison is "the future of American tennis" -- maybe it is Stefan Koslov.

#298 ·
I think the good think is he has nothing else to defend for the rest of the year if I right ? if so every win will give him point & help him move forward up the ranking hoping he can get back into the top 100 by the end of the year

#300 ·
^ well he in a bad slump, he kinda in the same spot David Goffin in I think both player have potential too at least be top 20 players & if they improve more maybe even top 10 in the future with the rest of the new generation of player hopefully he get it together & at least can end the year in the top 100

#302 ·
I went to Newport today and back now (since both Ryan and Blake were both out) His first set was not too bad. He couldn't handle Isner's serving at all, and could only hold his serving game and left it to the tie-break. He played good enough to save all his serving games, but the tie-break was totally a disaster, shamefully 0-7.
In the second set he seemed to be influenced by the breakdown in tie-break and sometimes seems to lose the focus. He tried very hard to save his first serving game in the second set after some deuces, but Isner even served better in the second set and was also more aggressive in Ryan's serving game. Ryan could not hold his serving game and had not a chance to break Isner's. Totally a typical Ryan-John match.

#305 ·
He's looking rather...thick in some of the pictures I've seen of him in Newport. I think he gets his build from his dad, who looks to have that football player body type.

I think playing some more challengers can get his confidence up, hopefully. I'm sure he can also improve his conditioning, but I don't know what his workouts are like so...

#306 ·
I think playing some more challengers can get his confidence up, hopefully. I'm sure he can also improve his conditioning, but I don't know what his workouts are like so...
Yeah, he needs to play a couple of challengers. I wonder if he is going to have to play qualifying for the U.S. Open or if he'll get a wild card.

#309 ·
He needs to get his ranking up by playing tournaments and doing well in them. I wish he was playing Bogota. His close loss to John Isner in the second round of the French (8-6 in the fifth) makes me think he's about ready to pull out of his slump. But that means making a run in Atlanta or Washington, and maybe in a couple of challengers before the U.S. Open. He has few points to defend for the rest of the year, so I think it's time for him to get his act back together. I'm really hoping Harrison and Sock can get into the top 20 or so within the next couple of years. But I'm not putting money on it.

#310 ·
I agree he need too at least play 3-4 challengers before the year over with I just hoping he get back into the top 100 before the year over I think he can crack the top 20 when he find his game & get outta this slump right now jack sock loook like he on his way doing it, but i think Ryan will still be in the mix with the new generation of players

#311 ·
Ryan Harrison is in Florida this week spending time on court with BG via the USTA. Hopefully that is extended. BG would be good for him

new from twitter

#313 ·
BG as in Brad Gilbert? Gilbert helped turn Agassi's career around. It would be very good if Harrison started working with him.

#314 ·
Let's go Ryan :cheerleader:

Ryan Harrison vs. Marinko Matosevic

Harrison and Matosevic will be going head-to-head for the first time in their careers when they collide in round one of the BB&T Atlanta Open on Monday afternoon. Both players are struggling but returning to a familiar scene in hopes of gaining some momentum at the start of the U.S. Open Series. Matosevic is 10-19 at the ATP level after retiring earlier this month in the Newport first round. The 73rd-ranked Australian is 1-2 lifetime in Atlanta main draws, having qualified and advanced to the second round in 2011.

Like Matosevic, Harrison has participated in the last two Atlanta installments and fell in the opening round last season. In 2011, though, the American reached the semifinals before succumbing to eventual champion Mardy Fish. Harrison currently finds himself in a slump that registers him down at No. 132 in the world. The 21-year-old qualified in Eastbourne and reached the last 16, but he has since lost three matches in row. Similar to most Americans, however, Harrison generally plays his best tennis on U.S. hard courts. That should be enough for the crowd favorite to take advantage of Matosevic’s questionable form.

Pick: Harrison in 3
http://tenngrand.com/2013/07/21/atl...icks-matosevic-vs-harrison-kudla-vs-williams/

#318 ·
Hurray! Let's hope he can beat Sijsling.

#316 ·
:sobbing: I'm so happy to see good aggressive tennis from Ryan. Probably the best I've seen him hit his forehand. Now maybe I can stop calling him a grinder :lol: I hope he can keep up this type of play instead of that pushing crap that I had to witness live in person last year :eek:

#317 ·
Personally, still believe that Harrison can make his big breakthrough. Have decided to start using this site more, and seeing as Harrison is my avatar and all I decided to chime in on the some of the previous comments. Honestly, didn't realize that some people have given up on Harrison when he's still so young. I wrote an article this spring for Tennis Alternative about the upcoming generation http://www.tennisalternative.com/young-generation-on-the-tour-is-there-any-hope--rn2320.html Unfortunately, the chart listing the players and their ages when they won an ATP match, challengers title, and futures title is not there anymore. But Harrison was the youngest out of the ATP current contenders that include that likes of Janowicz, Dimitrov, and Raonic to get a futures title, challenger title, and ATP tour match. If that's not promising that I don't know what is. I mean he won his first ATP match just shy of 16 years old, Janowicz for example didn't win an ATP match until he was 21!! And, even though he's struggling he's still in the top 10 of players 21 and younger. It's not like there are a bunch of players around his age that are better than him, which makes one think that future is still bright for him. On top of that, he has multitudes of experience over most players his age, he's played many of top guy's on tour along with all of the top Americans, many more than twice. Someday he will be able to pull off the upset, he's still learning! Each time he gets a bad draw, which is often, I like to look at the bright side. I realize that with those bad draws he's playing some of the best guy's on tour, and learning with every match. It will take take, but Harrison will be back in the top 50!

#322 ·

@tweetsfrombrett on twitter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.