Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Yevgeny Kafelnikov Thread

43K views 156 replies 31 participants last post by  The Prince 
#1 ·
go Zhenya go !!!!!!!!!
time to pick up your game and win the DAVIS CUP :)

#54 ·
Kafel's daughter is sooo cute!! Imagine how Marat's kids will look like?!? hehe.

#56 ·
Zhenya's interview after the first round match

-I didn't start very well because I had to wait for a long time that's why I wasn't focused.

-With whom did you come to St. Petersburg? Is it true that you spend a lot of time with her lately (*I guess this Q was about his daughter)
- Yes, we came together so the whole family is here. Btw tomorrow is my daughters birthday, she's turning 4.

- What's your reaction to Spartak's loss to Liverpool?
- I didn't see the match, but I knew the result when I went on court. I hope the team's coaches will do some corrections to their game.

- Today you practiced with Andre. How useful was it, they can't be a substitute to an official match, can they?
-Sometimes a practice like this can be more useful than a match, you have to give 100 percent all the time or you will not be invited to train again.

- So how did you find his form?
- Fantastic

- Did you get upset about your loss in Madrid?
- Lately I don't get upset about my losses. The only exception are the upcoming DC matches, they can become a tragedy. That's why I try not to waste energy on ATP matches.

#60 ·
An interview with: YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV
After defeating Nicolas Lapentti in the second round at TMS Paris

Q. Are you satisfied with your game today to win this match after three set points against you?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I'm satisfied with the results. The game wishes to be better.

Q. It was difficult to focus on tennis after what happened in Moscow, was it difficult for you?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: To a certain degree, yes, it was difficult. But, you know, obviously if we can avoid such accidents, I'll do everything I can to avoid it.

But, you know, it's not up to my hand ‑ unfortunately.

Q. Have you followed this? On TV?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I did, yeah. Unfortunately, it happened on the birth of my daughter, on the 23rd of October. So that day was kind of ruin a little bit.
But, you know, I follow every step, every news throughout three years ‑‑ throughout three days.

Q. Did you know anyone who was involved?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I don't know exactly because it's been 700 people in there. Many people still don't know where their relatives are inside or not. And I don't know to be honest if there are some friends or some member of the friends there ‑ has been there, no.

Q. Must be scary if you see that.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: When you do realize what could have happened, 800 people could have blown away, makes you feel a little scared, you know, that perhaps, you know, there is no guarantee you go to such a show and things like that happen. I could have been there.

Q. But are you happy the way the Russian government handles this?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I am definitely behind them one million percent what they did. They had no choice. Like I said, I told to many people, much more than people could have died. I'm sure they did best what they could and they did the right thing.

Q. You don't like the criticism on the Russian government in this?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: What many foreigner agencies talking, what many TV agency criticizing that they could avoid such thing; no, they could not. Because those people are fanatic and lunatics. Like I said, they prepare to do worst than that.

Like I said, they've done a great job, even though about 200 people died. But I'm sure that's the best what they could do.

Q. Last year after the disaster in Sochi, you made it a point to win the tournament in Moscow and give half of your prize money ...

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: All of my prize money.

Q. All of your prize money, sorry. Is it something you're thinking about doing if you win here, to help those families?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Absolutely. Absolutely.

Q. Do you know the building? Have you ever been to a show in it?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Unfortunately, it's a bit far of the downtown. It's perhaps ten miles away.

But I never been to that neighborhood, no.

Q. Changing the subject and looking ahead, we're not too far away from the Davis Cup final. What are your thoughts at this stage?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Obviously, to do as well as I could. But like I said, results would not affect on my approach to the Davis Cup, even if I lose next match. I won't be disappointed as much as perhaps the outcome of the Davis Cup will be.

So saying differently, I'm going to prepare three weeks before, go somewhere where basically no one can find me (smiling). Not many people could distract me with the way that I want to dedicate myself for the Davis Cup final.

Q. Will you be obviously looking for an indoor clay court to practice?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: No, no, not an indoor clay. Would be outdoor clay. It's gonna be either south of Spain or south of France, one of those two places.

Q. You still think France made a big mistake choosing the surface?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I don't say they make a big mistake, but definitely by chosing the clay they completely equalize the chances to both team ‑ I think.

Q. If you win the Davis Cup, you will stop your career or...

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Absolutely.

Q. If you lose?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I'll make a second thought on what I'm gonna do.

Q. Is it a bit difficult to focus on Davis Cup?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Uh‑huh.

Q. Is it the only thing you live for basically all year?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Right now, yes. Right now, yes. Well, perhaps after we won the quarterfinal match after Sweden, and then with the outcome of the other matches ‑ you know, playing Argentina at home ‑ it's change all the approaches.

Q. It means Davis Cup has been the most important thing, you're not that disappointed about your results on the tour?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: No, not at all. Not at all.

Q. How difficult is it then to play these kind of tournaments if your mind is already somewhere else?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: The mind, yes. But all I know is I have to keep my body in shape. I have to stay in the competitive spirit, you know. If I would not play the tournaments, I will lose basically the confidence, and this is an important thing to me.

Throughout playing, you know ‑‑ I obviously always didn't like to lose any matches in any tournament. But, you know, right now I'm not putting any pressure on myself with the results on the regular tour.

So all I'm thinking is to win the Davis Cup.

Q. Are you sure Safin has the same approach as you?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: That's the question you have to ask him, but Marat has been very helpful to me throughout this year. He understand that this is important to me. Perhaps he also started to realize that, you know, this thing also could be important to him. If we do accomplish what we have wanted to, you know, his image will be even bigger than it is right now. He'll be No. 1 player in the country and he'll be the star there.

Right now we have two ‑ me and him. When I stop, he will be the only one. There is a big difference.

Q. Argentina, they showed a lot of character.

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: They did, and Marat also showed a lot of character by winning two singles matches. To be honest, I'm really proud what he did.

Q. How did you find the public today?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Public was spectacular. For the second day of the tournament, you have almost full stadium. It's extraordinary. Imagine what's gonna happen in one month when we play on Friday against France (smiling). Not even comparable.

Q. Did you feel they were behind you?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: You know, throughout the years, playing here in France, I have, I think, earned many, many fans here in France. I'm sure, you know, there will be many of them in a month's time supporting me as much as they can because they do understand how important this event will be for me.

Q. We've been so used to seeing you in the Top 10 seeds. Here you are at 14. Does it sometimes surprise you to look so far down the list to find out where you are?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: For the first time, I really thought about it, and it's been, what, eight or nine years since I have seen myself so low in the ranking.

But it's logical process, you know. The results never says different. I've been playing poorly, and nothing I can do about it.

Q. Are you encouraged by the quality of the talent that's coming through the ranks at the moment? Do you think tennis has a healthy future, the men's game?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Definitely. Definitely. I think young guys are ‑‑ you know, Mathieu, he's won the last two tournaments he played. It's very unfortunate he got injured here and could not play. But he's the one who could challenge in the future all those guys. He's got a good natural game, and he can be the one.

Q. Do you prefer to play against Hewitt or Nieminen?

YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: It's not that important to me anymore, believe me. You know, of course, you know, if I were destined to lose, I'd rather lose to the No. 1 player in the world tomorrow ‑‑ Thursday.

So to be honest, I'd like to play Lleyton, yes.

#64 ·
Metreveli was talking about his retirement and he refuses to believe it, neither does Tarpishev. Both of them are close to and know Zhenya well so there is still some hope. Metreveli also said that Zhenya told him in St Petersburg that his foot injury is really bothering him, he said it was even painful to drive :( He isn't playing badly at the moment though

#65 ·
what's the name of Kafel's daughter?!?!

#67 ·
Nina said:
Metreveli was talking about his retirement and he refuses to believe it, neither does Tarpishev. Both of them are close to and know Zhenya well so there is still some hope. Metreveli also said that Zhenya told him in St Petersburg that his foot injury is really bothering him, he said it was even painful to drive :( He isn't playing badly at the moment though
Ahh, that tease! ;) I really hope he doesn't hang it all up this year :(

I also hope his foot is better! :eek: Thank goodness the DC final is still a few weeks away. And it's on clay, which always helps.

#69 ·
TennisHack said:

Ahh, that tease! ;) I really hope he doesn't hang it all up this year :(

I also hope his foot is better! :eek: Thank goodness the DC final is still a few weeks away. And it's on clay, which always helps.

Even Marat also has mentioned in his interview about Zhenya's anke foot... :sad: IT muz be pretty serious....

#71 ·
Kafelnikov may delay retirement to chase Davis Cup dream

By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Yevgeny Kafelnikov will put his retirement from tennis on hold if Russia fail to win the Davis Cup final in Paris this year.

"I have said several times that I want retire at the end of the year," the 28-year-old Russian told a news conference on Friday.

"But in all honesty nobody knows what is going to happened, not even myself.

"All I can at the moment that I will retire only if we win the Davis Cup, but if we lose the show must go on."

Kafelnikov desperately wants to bring Russia their first ever Davis Cup trophy after losing back-to-back finals in 1994 and 1995.

Russia face defending champions France in the final which starts on November 29.

"So far, it has been my worst season ever," said the former world number one. "But if we win the Cup it will definitely make up for all the disappointments this year."

Kafelnikov said that although Russia have a stronger side on paper, he nevertheless expects a tough tie.

"If you look at the titles, the grand slams, that we, myself and Marat (Safin), have won, the French don't even come close to what we have achieved over the years," said the former French and Australian Open champion.

"But they have a very strong team, they're playing at home, so it will be a very, very difficult match for us to win."

DISAPPOINTING SHOWING

Kafelnikov also predicted that Safin would bounce back from a disappointing showing in this week's season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai, where the Russian number failed to win any of his three group matches.

"Please, don't make a tragedy out of Marat's three defeats there," said Kafelnikov.

"I want to look at it from a positive side -- he should be extra motivated to do well in Paris."

Russia's Davis Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev added: "It's the end of the season and everyone is mentally and physically tired.

"So whichever team is fitter and fresher that team will have the edge.

"The only problem is that the French have five players to choose from while we can basically rely on just two.

"The French are known for their great team spirit. We all remember how they beat Australia, playing away from home in the final last year."

France won their ninth Davis Cup title by edging Australia 3-2 in the Melbourne final.

"Nevertheless, we have a good chance against the French in any of the five rubbers, so I like our chances," the Russian captain said.

In preparation for the final, which will be played on clay in Paris Bercy sports hall, the Russians will depart for a week-long training camp in Monte Carlo on Sunday.

"We'll train there for a week and on November 24 we plan to leave for Paris," Tarpishchev said.

"We also expect Marat back in Moscow from Shanghai later today and hopefully he will be able to fly with us to Monte Carlo on Sunday."

#74 ·
Kafelnikov hides from the media

Russia's Yevgeny Kafelnikov began his preparation for the Davis Cup final with his partner Andrei Cherkasov at the Monte-Carlo Country Club on Monday. Kafelnikov is fully concentrated and wants to stay away from the media. Marat Safin and Mikhail Youzhny will join them on Wednesday.

The Russian squad has stated that they want to concentrate on the task at hand and they are not going to waist their time with the media.

In a rare interview, Kafelnikov told France's daily l'Equipe that he was very satisfied with his first day of training. He explained that the team had chosen Monaco for their preparation because "it's a direct flight from Moscow and the weather is nice".

He also said that from now on he just wants to train and that it's going to be hard for journalists as they "are going to say no" to any interview.

For the moment Marat Safin is taking a well-deserved rest after last week's Masters Cup in Shanghai while Mikhail Youzhny, who has had back problems, is undergoing therapy to overcome them. Both players will fly in from Moscow in the middle of the week.

At 28 and 26 titles under his belt, the Russian told the French Tennis Federation that the Davis Cup has become " a goal after I won the gold medal at the Olympics".

Kafelnikov reached the finals in 1994 and 1995 but the team failed to pull through and he has announced that a victory over France will complete his trophy cabinet and therefore he will retire, "It's the best thing that can happen to me at the end of my career".

But if Russia fails to grasp the title, Kafelnikov said he might come back on his decision but "to be honest I'm starting to lack energy". For the moment he is focused on his preparation and he will give everything he's got. After that "I will like to take a long break and think things over".

Eurosport : AS

#75 ·
Can anyone help me with following DC final? I will be in the area where it will not be covered, I will have no PC, nothing. But I will have my cellphone, from which I can read Hotmail. Would someone be kind enough to send me some updates with scoreline in the subject?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.