Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO SF: Djokovic outmarathons Murray 6-3 3-6 6-7(4) 6-1 7-5

41K views 418 replies 191 participants last post by  Paylu2007 
#1 ·
Was Nadull playing in the first 3 sets? More than 3 hours for these sets.

Djokovic nearly choked the match from 5-2 in the 5th. Murray didn't take the gift at 5-5 blowing mulple BPs.

Hopefully Djokovic is fine for Sunday.

#207 ·
I'll tell you why Murray lost to Djokovic

First of all Murray is a great player but a very unlucky one, Fed got Flip in his first slam final. Rafa got Puerta. Djokovic got Tsonga. Murray always runs into one of the GOAT (Fed, Rafa, Djok) in his slam semis and Fs. Murray never gets a freebie, if Murray were as lucky as the Big 3 and got like a Soderling, Tsonga, Monfils, Roddick in his first three slam finals he'd have three. Just tough bad luck for Murray. Today he played the match of his life. Awe inspiring effort by Andy. Djokovic is an unbeatable machine playing arguably the best tennis in history, having surpassed the level of the two GOATS Fed and Rafa. Murray was equal terms with Djok today. it came down to the end. Who wants it more? Murray's box let him down. Lendl and Kim and crew were sitting there like zombies. At 5-5 in the fifth, Djok got a push from his girl Jelena who shouted and implored him on lovingly and forcefully. He got that push. Murray never got that push from Kim or Lendl. He needed that little push at that moment. That was the difference. Who want it more? Djok's box wanted it more than Murray's. They need to make once change and get someone there who can provide that energy, that extra motivation in the moment of truth. And to repel off people like that assho7e who yelled double fault when Murray was serving, that did not help the sensitive Murray. Murray was right there today. Grand unforgettable effort. Murray is a great player don't ever forget that. He almost took down the unbeatable machine today. Epic match.

#216 ·
Re: I'll tell you why Murray lost to Djokovic

First of all Murray is a great player but a very unlucky one, Fed got Flip in his first slam final. Rafa got Puerta. Djokovic got Tsonga. Murray always runs into one of the GOAT (Fed, Rafa, Djok) in his slam semis and Fs. Murray never gets a freebie, if Murray were as lucky as the Big 3 and got like a Soderling, Tsonga, Monfils, Roddick in his first three slam finals he'd have three. Just tough bad luck for Murray. Today he played the match of his life. Awe inspiring effort by Andy. Djokovic is an unbeatable machine playing arguably the best tennis in history, having surpassed the level of the two GOATS Fed and Rafa. Murray was equal terms with Djok today. it came down to the end. Who wants it more? Murray's box let him down. Lendl and Kim and crew were sitting there like zombies. At 5-5 in the fifth, Djok got a push from his girl Jelena who shouted and implored him on lovingly and forcefully. He got that push. Murray never got that push from Kim or Lendl. He needed that little push at that moment. That was the difference. Who want it more? Djok's box wanted it more than Murray's. They need to make once change and get someone there who can provide that energy, that extra motivation in the moment of truth. And to repel off people like that assho7e who yelled double fault when Murray was serving, that did not help the sensitive Murray. Murray was right there today. Grand unforgettable effort. Murray is a great player don't ever forget that. He almost took down the unbeatable machine today. Epic match.
Give him Gulbis for the final, he still finds ways to lose it.

#208 ·
Novak is a cheating bitch.:rolleyes:He created impression he is tired in third set.Andy believed it and cannot concentrate after third set expecting Fakovic to play slow.But Fakovic surprised him with fast shots.:wavey:
Novak is a cheater.El Matador will kick this cheating butt in sunday.Poor Andy:hug:

#215 ·
This what i call,clutching at straws.:wavey::hug:

I'm just glad that giving the awful awful start that a bad match turned into a pretty epic one.
Crazy that the quilty got better after more than 4h:rolls:

Oh I've almost forgotten to dedicate today's result to Sapeod. He is surely having a great time :lol:
Thought i missed someone:lol:

#222 ·
And Murray was doing exactly the same in set 4 :lol:. It's just that while Djokovic completely dominated when Murray was tired, Murray put in a shocker and mentally folded in that third set until the very end.

Both of their energy levels went up and down all match. Murray looked dead until he reeled off those 3 games in a row in the 5th. So if Djokovic is a faker then so is he.
You have little clue of ATP tennis, stick to the mickey mouse WTA.

#223 ·

scud was a probably the hardest match in wimbledon 2003

roddick was the most dangerous player on grass between 2003-2005

puerta was shit however

tsonga was lethal at the ao- his demolision job of nadal is still my fave match of all time

#224 ·

Djokovic's box wanted it more? :lol: I don't think they were that big of a factor but some other good points there...have to admit though I was surprised at Jelena's support, she was really cheering hardcore for Nole. And she's smoking hot to boot, lucky Nole...

#225 ·

Think you're looking for excuses.Muzza's box,was as supporting as Nole's.And as much as i like Nole,he is in no way surpassed Fed/Rafa's level.Mentally though he was the stronger of the two today.

#226 ·
Dedicated to worst journalist ever - Mats Wilander.

Great match indeed.

First of all, congratulation for Murray, he fight like a lion, nothing to be ashamed for... after this match I begin to respect his chances to win some GS title.

Novak....trully champion, average play, but forehand DTL in 5-5 30-40 was work of art, after 4.30 hours you are in position to lose the match after that point, and you dont afraid to pull the trigger?!

Like some fellow said - titanium balls of steel :)

Rest well champ for the final...

#228 ·
Congratz to both guys for this great match. I am starting to believe that Novak has what it takes to get even the double digit slam count. I hope he does.
Murray impressed me a lot, even though Novak didn't seem as well prepared physically as last year.
Looking forward to the final match. It should be epic, although I suspect that Novak is to deep in Rafa's mind. One clue is that he mentioned 6-0 on a post match interview against Fed...
We'll see, and I hope both guys will show us their best tennis.

#229 ·

Murray could have won that match and should have won it. Djokovic played crap. Murray had several break points which he choked. Had this match been during the hot day Murray would have won in 3 or 4 easily.

#230 ·

The box absolutely makes the difference sometimes. I sat behind Hrbaty's crew at the US Open grandstand one year. These college kids were going crazy cheering Hrbaty after every point in a match vs. Kafelnikov who was top 3 in the world at the time. I mean they were going crazy ape shi7, it was awesome, how much energy they showed and were giving Hrbaty who of course fed off it and killed Kafel in straight sets that day. Kafel wasn't tanking either, he was so pissed off. I asked the kids why are you so for Hrbaty? They told me they did the same thing for him at the Hamlet Cup the week before and Hrbaty loved it and gave them all free tix for the Open and they came and worked their magic. So the point is sometimes the boxes make the difference. Today it made the difference, they gave Djok the push he needed at the end, the love the support the energy. Murray never got it. That was the difference.

#236 ·
Tiresome and repetitive BS on GM about faking Djokovic and slamless Murray.
They both started nervous, Murray more so. Leaking UEs left and right lost him the set.
The first momentum swing came in the second set. Djokovic was 2-0 up and wasted opportunity to get a double break and kill off the second set. From that point onward, Murray relaxed, Djoko lost some breath and spring in his step. Murray came up with the goods, while Nole's two key elements disappeared: serve and return. With so many second serves coming his way, Murray got into the rhythm and started killing them. Djoko's serve percentage for the second set was abysmal, under 40 percent. The same continued in the third.
What happened afterwards? Just like against Nadal in the USO, Djoko started swinging. It helped that Murray had a mental lapse. He started rolling serves in without much purpose, and suddenly Djoko's return reappered. Just at that time, he started nabbing aces left and right.
At 5-2, ever the pessimist, I had the feeling that Djoko has to break or will get broken serving for the match. Unfortunately, I was right. Kudos for Djokovic for saving BPs after that collapse in the ninth game.
Murray is on the right path and will be a huge force in 2012. He can definitely win any of the three remaining slams this year.
Not sure about the final. Seems that both Novak and Rafa are slightly below their 2011 level. Novak will be extra exhausted, that is for sure. For Rafa, this is a very good chance to end his miserable string of losses against Nole in the finals.

#237 ·
What a match. Firstly congratulation to Novak Djokovic on reaching another grand slam final, I don't mind Rafa but hope Novak wins. After the first set I felt like turning the TV off, same old same old. Andy's forehand looked like crumbling & his serve was under pressure.

Something just clicked though, his aggression started to win points & games and I started to have hope of a competitive match. I believed in winning the third set there was only one winner, so only critique of Andy today was his head/game going walkabouts at start of fourth set. At 5-2 in the fifth again, I was close to turning off the TV. But in resisting, I hope as a fan we seen why Andy can win slams.

A great return game, some big forehands & actual belief gave hime one more shot to win the match. It wasn't to be, but looking at the stats, they are close considering Andy went walkabout in set 4. Only 2 winners behind Novak, close on break points earned etc

Gutted, but proud as hell too. Well done Novak, the best player on the planet right now. But you know you were given a fright & I believe Andy is getting closer to the best. But his mental lapses must be eradicated for that next step to happen.

On the aggression front, if you hate/disllike Murray cool. But the 'pusher' stepped up today, no doubt.

Great match :)

#239 ·
One other thing dedicated to all the guys that never tried any physical sport in their lives...
I trained boxing, and I was practically dead while warming up because I am an avid smoker, but once the crisis goes away, I would continue training normally. That happened to me as a kid as well while training judo. That's just the way body handles tremendous effort, so please, please stop trolling.

#241 ·

Del Po got Nadal in the semis and Federer in the final of his first slam, so :shrug:

#252 ·

Hope Nole brings the whole family for the final.

They'll want it more than all of Nadal's relatives put together.
Marko still trying to get into turkish futures no..?

Reactions: Ben.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.