Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO SF: Djokovic outmarathons Murray 6-3 3-6 6-7(4) 6-1 7-5

41K views 418 replies 191 participants last post by  Paylu2007 
#1 ·
Was Nadull playing in the first 3 sets? More than 3 hours for these sets.

Djokovic nearly choked the match from 5-2 in the 5th. Murray didn't take the gift at 5-5 blowing mulple BPs.

Hopefully Djokovic is fine for Sunday.

#156 ·
does anyone have a video clip of the interview... i missed it (office hours grrrr)

#151 ·
If there's three things that Murray has been criticised for lacking in his game it's

1) Powerful Forehand
2) Mental Strength
3) Second serve

I think he showed today that he at least has the first two of those in abundance...

#155 ·
Exciting match. Even though Mr. Murray lost a close one, it looks like Murray-Lendl is working...:)
He must continue fighting. If he keeps giving himself the opportunity, I'm convinced he'll win a major soon.

Well done to both players.

-masterclass

Attachments

#162 ·
Conditions were perfect for Andy : was really fresh mentally and physically coming to this match thks to his cakewalk draw, the fact that it was not the final, Novak far from playing his best, crowd slightly on his side...and Lendl in his box.
Result : another fail.

Even if we forget the relative "weaknesses" in his game like his forehand, it seems he just can't find the champion's mentality players like Fed, Nole or Rafa have.Not sure if there is anything he can do to reverse things at this point.

#211 ·
according to nole it never happened. courier asked how he recovered and nole responded "water, energy drinks and bananas". no mention of the brown substance he was eating while hiding his face (and said substance) under a towel :shrug:

i doubt it was anything illegal, but why hide it?.....chris fowler found it very odd as well.

#169 ·
Amazing fight by Djokovic, balls of steel in the end. Pity he will be walking dead in the final. A 5 hour match with Murray is like playing ten hours with Federer. I hope I am wrong and he will be fine come Sunday.

As for Murray, I dont know if this is indeed a positive for him. Ok, he took Djokovic to five. So? He still lost. Rather, he was up 2 sets to one, outplayed Novak for much of the match, had chances to win the fifth and still lost. Basically this match doesnt tell anything we didnt know. We knew that Murray at his best is capable of matching and outplaying the very best and that he chokes at the big stage.

PS: Though one thing is clear, no way in hell is Djokovic going to have a reign at the top like Federer did in his prime. He just relies on defense too much.

#172 ·
Glad Djokovic won. I simply can't stand Murray or his tennis whereas I''ve always like Novak and like the fact he's finally reached the very top. Can't see Murray ever winning a slam, never have done. He's been at the game for years and still people talk about if he improves this,if he improves that, etc etc he'll win his first ever slam. If he was going to win he'd have done it by now. Time marches on and each loss is a bigger nail in the coffin.
Good luck Novak for Sunday.

#174 ·
Bravo to both fells.

Murray :hatoff: He really impressed me. He came up with some clutch 1st serves in some huge pressure moments. Novak had opportunities to put Andy away earlier but he denied him time and time again. Broke his serve at love while he was serving for the set. That alone should be applauded. He never gave up and seems to be making significant strides toward collecting that elusive major

Djokovic: :worship: What can I say? We've already seen how mentally tough he can be during the important points all last year and he's reminding us again why he's No. 1. That 4th set was a message to Murray; he let Murray know that if he was going to lose, he was going to go down swinging and not make things easy for him. Novak said in his on-court interview that Nadal and Federer made him a better player, so perhaps this will make Murray a better one, too.

Great stuff from both :yeah: Both guys were deserving for a spot opposite Nadal in the finals (although the 2nd and 3rd sets were pathetic :lol:)

#178 ·
For me, a key thing today was Novak's ROS, especially against first serve. He managed to put a few bombs back into play, and that definitely helped him. Against 2nd serve, he was so-so, missing some opportunities but burying a few also when Andy just popped them midway through the service box.

p.s. These threads are great for expanding ignore lists. All the trolls come out of the woodwork after big matches. Just wish people wouldn't quote them the whole time!

#189 ·
don't like either of these 3 characters but I'll be rooting for Novak and hopes that he recovers on time and hopes that he plays extremely well and gets under Rafa's skin

This post has been deleted
#200 ·
Very good match :worship:

I think a matter of experience separated these two terrific fighters, Djokovic had already played similarly long matches against Baghdatis and Stepanek, besides he had beaten Federer twice in shorter but even more demanding mentally US Open semifinals. Murray on the other hand, had played only two matches which barely hit the 4-hour mark, and in both cases the 5th set was lopsided. He'd been at 5 all in the 5th only once before, last year against Troicki, but it was a resuming match so the tension was different than in a match with similar scoreline when you are constantly running on the court 3 or 4 hours.

#201 ·
Once Murray watches the match he will see how much strides he has made. Although, it is heartbreaking in one respect, and the wait for a British player to win a slam continues. Somehow, at the same, I couldn't help feel heartened after seeing him fight so hard, complete contrast compared to last year. The match started very slowly but in the end it was far superior match than the other semi.

I am convinced more than ever that Murray has all the tools and fight to win a major. He threw the kitchen sink at djokovic except the 4th set, and that was his major undoing IMO. Andy suprisingly made more forehand winners and was dictating from that wing after the 1st set. The forehand is so much better than before. However, one big weakness that remains is the 2nd serve, especially against Nole.

Djokovic is definitely in a territory of his own, in terms of being super clutch on the biggest points. I remember that gigantic point at 30-40 at 5-5. Just insane DTL FHs. Djokovic is just continuing his add tales and slowly rising among the pantheon of tennis greats. Congrats to Nole, he played wonderful and deserved it in the end. I will definitely watch the replay of the 5th set. :)

#206 ·
Once Murray watches the match he will see how much strides he has made. Although, it is heartbreaking in one respect, and the wait for a British player to win a slam continues. Somehow, at the same, I couldn't help feel heartened after seeing him fight so hard, complete contrast compared to last year.
Yeah, while I'm very disappointed there are some good things to take away from this. It was nothing like last year and hopefully Murray won't go off on a losing streak like before, and build on this instead. I do feel like he's getting closer.

Still fucking gutted right now though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.