Mens Tennis Forums banner

~~The "Young Hopes" Thread~~

29K views 317 replies 28 participants last post by  Tanya 
#1 · (Edited)
Inzerillo+Botti+Eysseric+...+... = La relève??? :shrug:

From left to right: Kevin Botti, Jérôme Inzerillo, Jonathan Eysseric winners of the 2005 16&U European Winter Cup

Same team without Botti replaced by Stéphane Piro (in the red shirt) with their coach Aloïs Beust in the middle, winners of the 2005 Jean Borotra/ 16&U European Summer Cup

This group/team of young players (especially Inzerillo) is quite successful in the juniors individually and together. They just won the Jean Borotra Cup/ 16 & Under Boys European Summer Cup two days ago after winning the 2005 16&U European Winter Cup before for France for a record nineth time (in the Final round Stéphane Piro replaced Kevin Botti who was there in the Qualification phase but then sustained a back injury...). They made France win this summer Cup for the sixth time (in 1981, 1990, 1992, 1993, 2000 and 2005). The same team ( without Botti but with other promissing talents Slilam, Allouch and Michon...) was also the winner of both the 14&U European Winter Cup and Summer Cup in 2004 (Copa del Sol).
We know that (especially for French players it seems...:tape: ) results at the junior level doesn't imply anything for their progression and how they'll do in the pro tour if they ever get there but still that made me think that we could have a 'Young Hopes Thread' dedicated to all of them here...
So if you follow the juniors a little bit, feel free to post here especially if you had the chance to see them play live for exemple! It's always interesting to follow young promising players and see how they evolve...

To begin with, a few pics of the team taken during the qualifying phase of their group, D, (held in Cartagena, Spain for their group...other groups qualification matches were held in different countries...). All these guys from the South (well Botti's from the Alps but...) were coached by the always smiling, potbellied Alsacian (like "Paulo" Mathieu...) Aloïs Beust (to lead this turbulent bunch to victory under the direction of someone blessed with the well-known and praised «Franco-Germanic» sence of order i presume...). And the final round was held in Le Touquet, France (go to www.tenniseurope.org in the Junior section to get more informations).

More pics at this link: http://josecelda.free.fr/gallery/category.php

Then some informations (so hard to find...) and other pics (just click for the links to them...) about those who compose this team and after i'll try to post more about as much players as possible ...

Jérôme « so-called potentially better than Gasquet » Inzerillo
-Their number one Jérôme Inzerillo won the 2004 14&U European Championships individually and in doubles with fellow Frenchman and friend Slilam who he had beat in the final to win the individual title. And he was the runner-up in the 2005 16&U European Championships ( lost in the hard-fought tight final match (at least in the first set... :p i needed enough words to put all the links to the pics...)against the almost unknown Slovakian talent Martin Klizan who he beat 7/6(2), 7-5 just a few days later in his singles match of the quarterfinal of the European "team" Cup this time). He also won the French Individual Junior Boys Championships in the 13/14 years old category in 2004 beating Eysseric in the final (the year Alizé Cornet won the Girls' one (the one who made her "breakthrough" honoring her WC winning her first round match in RG 2005...) ) and the «team» one too the same year. He also won a few other junior tournaments. The guy has quite an impressive junior «palmarès» so far both in singles and in doubles ...
-Birthdate: February 15th 1990, in Rognac
-Started at age 6
-Right-handed, very nice one-handed backhand
-1m78 (5'83''), 65kg (143.3 lbs) (he'd better get taller and heavier...)
-Coaching: Bernard Fritz (and Hervé Gauvain) in one of the «Pôle(s) France» at the "CREPS" PACA in Boulouris.
(Explanation from their site:Le pôle France Tennis de Boulouris fait partie des centres fédéraux de Tennis en collaboration avec le Ministère de la Jeunesse et des Sports (autres centres: Poitiers, Reims, Insep à Paris). Sous la conduite de deux entraîneurs, Hervé Gauvain et Bernard Fritz (et Jean Sengès comme entraîneur physique), Boulouris accueille 8 Jeunes Joueurs venus de différentes régions de France. Ces jeunes joueurs sont tous scolarisés avec des horaires aménagés leur permettant de pratiquer leur sport tous les jours à partir de 14 heures. Un programme annuel est préparé dès la rentrée scolaire de Septembre qui comporte des périodes d'entraînement ainsi qu'un accompagnement sur les différentes compétitions auxquelles ils participent.
= The "Pôle France Tennis" of Boulouris is one of the FFT centers created in collaboration with the Ministry of Youth and Sport (other centers in Poitiers, Reims, and the Insep in Paris). Under the direction of two coach: one from the Federation, Hervé Gauvain and Bernard Fritz (with Jean Sengès as a physical trainer), Boulouris welcomes 8 young players from many different regions of France. These young players are all provided education with special timetables/ schedules which allow them to practice their sport every day from 2:00 pm till the end of the day. An yearly programm is prepared for each of them which includes periods of training and a close support/accompaniment with them in the different competitions in which they'll participate during the year. It means they're kind of part time students: they train half of the day and spend the other half on the court practicing, playing, training etc... And their schedule is adapted when they participate in competitions...)
-Club: Country Club Aixois (where Arnaud Clément learned tennis...)
-Favorite surface: clay (even if many think that, with his game, he can play on every surfaces...)
-Favorite shot: Forehand
-Least favorite shot: the volley
-Favorite male player: Marat safin (says he likes Roger Federer and Clément a lot too)
-Favorite female player: Amelie mauresmo (and Justine Henin-Hardenne)
-He thinks he has work on /to progress with his serve and his forehand first and of course in all the other departments of the game and , according to him, his strong points are his volley, his backhand and his mental. (Weird that he thinks he's a good volleyer but that volley is his least favorite shot and that a shot he thinks he still have to work on: his FH is his favorite... :scratch: ). He moves very well on the court, is fast.
-Personal infos:
Has a 19 year old brother
-Like/Hobbies: Playstation and music
-Don't like: To do his homeworks...he he (then he'd better succeed in tennis because if not...)
-Highest rankings:
2005 #7 ETA B16
2004 #1 ETA 14&U
2003 #8 ETA B14
(I'll add their French rankings and its evolution later if that interests someone... :confused: )

Jonathan « i've been playing tennis since i could walk » Eysseric
-Jonathan Eysseric, born May, 27th 1990 in Saint Germain-en-Laye
-Left-handed, two-handed backhand
-1m80 (5'9''), 67kg (147.7 lbs), the guy has strong legs
-Profile:
He says he started as soon as when he was one year old (son of a tennis coach managing a "Tennis Etude" (where children can keep a scolarity and practice too, he wrote a book about how to train children etc... and bla bla bla...You get the picture, don't you?...) but other sources speak about a more realistic age: 4 years old...
-Coaching: Didier Eysseric (father) plus Gauvain and Fritz
-Formation:
He's in Boulouris too with Inzerillo and some others.
-Game:
He has a great powerful leftie forehand and he's a risks taker kind of player on the court.
-Club: US Cagnes-sur-Mer
-He says he likes all surfaces.
-He thinks his strong points are his forehand and the fact that he has a complete game.
-His main weakness is his fitness (still runs out of gas in long matches...and he's the kind not to know saving his energy during a match, he puts too much in his shots...). He moves very well on the court too, is quite fast...
-Personal infos:
Has two brothers: Florian , 8 years old, and Benjamin , 11 years old, both playing tennis too and...a dog named Slicé ! :p :lol:
-Personal Interests: Music & Playstation
-Favorite male player: Guillermo Coria
-Favorite female player: Mauresmo (i think that's only because she helped him through her action with the foundation of Phil Collins, "Little dreams" and because she's his hometown hero (they're born in the same place) like Inzerillo with Clément...)
-Even if it's less impressive than Inzerillo's or Botti's, he's got a good «palmarès» both in singles and in doubles.

The one in white

Kevin "i'm already the old one" Botti
-Kevin Botti is one year older (born January, 14th 1989 in «Savoie», don't know his exact hometown...)
-Started at age 8
-He's not very tall...
-Left-handed,
-Club: TC Aix-les-Bains
-I suppose hardcourt is his best surface since he won a lot of stuff on it (most of his wins, i think...) and even beat Inzerillo in a final on it...
-Coaching: Lionel Calderini
-Formation: He trains at the «INSEP» in Paris (it's not the "CNE" in Roland-Garros, this is different...)
-He had very good results: Orange Bowl 2004 winner etc... (just have a look at his profile at juniortennis dot com...)
-Highest rankings:
2005 #3 ETA B16
2005 #66 ITF B18
2004 #8 ETA B16
2004 #6 ETA B14
2003 #22 ETA 14U
(sorry: i couldn't find a lot of informations about him...that's because he's not close enough to the federation it seems and that's from it that i get most of my informations on the junior players through all of their many sites...)

I'll post some more infos about other players of this 89/90 generation later but that's a a start...;) And i may post in other countries sections of MTF as well about other "young hopes"...

See less See more
#52 ·
Eysseric won 4-6 6-3 6-2 :yeah:

#55 · (Edited)
silverwhite said:
Just realised that he's the only French junior in the draw. :eek:
Yep. Alizé Cornet is sitting her baccalauréat like other young French sportsmen (normaly in june but they ask for it to be postponed to september for them because of RG in her case or the other things they participate to at the time) so no representant in the girls' draw. And the other guys have no real motivation for coming here. It's far and they have other way to progress or so they think or were told anyway unlike him who wants to keep his current momentum and try to get the #1 spot and even went to train a bit at Bollettieri's alongside Mary Pierce for better preparation.

Just one thought. There's the same number of Madagascan and French players in the draw. That's a big thing for me! :eek:

#60 ·
silverwhite said:
No. I sort of followed the scores while following the other matches. :p
Then lucky you because you could follow the scores. :p

CooCooCaChoo said:
Bester is a tough draw!
I know. And considering how their respective first matches went...:tape:

Court 10 11:00 AM

1. Jr. Boys' Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Philip Bester (CAN) vs. Jonathan Eysseric (FRA)[2]

Not Before 1:00 PM
2. Women's Doubles - 3rd Rnd.
Maret Ani (EST) / Meilen Tu (USA) vs. Nathalie Dechy (FRA) / Vera Zvonareva (RUS)

followed by

3. Women's Champions - 1st Rnd.
Jana Novotna (CZE) vs. Magdalena Maleeva (BUL)

4. Jr. Boys' Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Ricardo Urzua (CHI) / Jose Roberto Velasco (BOL) vs. Philip Bester (CAN)[4] / Jonathan Eysseric (FRA)[4]
Playing against each other in the morning, and together in the evening on the same court... :devil:

#63 ·
silverwhite said:
He won 6-3 7-5. Into the QFs. :bounce:
:yeah: He's doing good, beating mostly players who are 1 or 2 years older than him.

#64 · (Edited)
Don't get carried away. Next round will be another story. First seaded player he faces (Luka Belic [9] CRO). That's the first time Eysseric gets this far in a Slam => no experience. He lost in doubles with Bester. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Same with the fact that he had to fight more to reach this point than Belic, he's already used to it and maybe more ready to face that again (if not too tired out...). Good luck to him.

Eysseric's old man takes care of the news on the TÉ's site and posts some short reports of his son's match among them. That way we learn that Bester (Jr RG finalist) i's not only Jonathan's doubles partner but also his roommate during this USO...That his last match was really weird and that he managed to win despite not playing good and came back from behind at 4-2 in the 2nd set during which Konecny couldn't put a ball in the court to save his life, that a ballboy vomited on the court etc...and things like that. :p

http://www.tennisetude.com/fr/news.cfm

#65 ·
He lost the 1st set 6-4 :(

#66 ·
He lost 6-4 6-4 :sad:

#68 ·
I think he's doing OK considering he's currently the youngest player in the juniors top 25, according to the ITF juniors website. But of course Delsa is right, we should not get carried away...You only have to look at the difference between the Juniors Grand Slam winners list and Men's Grand Slam winners list of the past 10 years...One has many French players, the other none :eek:

#71 ·
True. I mean even Paulo won a junior Grand Slam :haha:
Sometimes it doesn't quite work out for successful juniors (Arnaud Di Pasquale :sad: ) but sometimes it does: Grosjean and Mauresmo were junior number 1's I think... And of course so was a certain Roger Federer :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.