Mens Tennis Forums banner

Grigor Dimitrov is the future.

35K views 367 replies 143 participants last post by  Dimitard 
#1 ·
I attended the AO this year as per usual and saw something quite special. Grigor Dimitrov is by far the MOST talented player I have seen since Roger debuted with all his majestic greatness. I was astonished at what I saw in both the Wawrinka and Golubev games. In Golubev the past unhealthy looking sloth Dimitrov took him out with such an awe inspiring ease that I had too look and wonder. His strokes are ridiculously effortless and his technique AMAZING. His backhand is a thing of legends as he takes it well (nice clean and early) and has a lot of control and power off that wing. It has potential to be better than Guga’s. His slice is cutting and once again his technique is very VERY good. I haven’t seen such a forehand since Fed & Blake as from a technical perspective it is flawless and right now one of the best forehands in the world. He possesses natural nous and flair around the net a sign of a great champion who is growing with confidence as every day passes by. His serve is huge and once an outstanding shot. I could go on praising such a complete player but then my post will be long and I don’t want that. Simply put Grigor has in his hands the best all court game since Roger Federer. He is a phenomenon. He is sponsored by Nike so he already looks the par and teenage girls will obviously chase him as he begins his path into greatness. I am a big admirer of his attitude which on court is cool, calm and collected. He is the new Roger Federer and I hold him in very high esteem.

He will be the one challenging Roger for the slam record. No one else.

I predict he will break the top 10 this year, go deep in slams and win a masters. He will crush Jo and win his first title this year. This is big for tennis, as Dimitrov will be the man to wash away all these drippy baseliners with his craft and flair. He will rise VERY fast and be number one once Roger has gone. Just an epic EPIC player and words cannot describe just how much potential he has. WATCH his match with Jo tonight to get a good look at how amazing his talents are. Such a clean ball striker. he has that it factor and understands what tennis is all about.

Thoughts?, is Grigor the future?

See less See more
#3 ·
My prediction isn't ambitious at all. He is unbelievably impressive. It's fantastic that their is after all live after Roger!

I suppose you went to the Ao as well so you know what I'm talking about. Raonic is also VERY good, surprised me how big he is off the ground and you better believe he has some quick hands at the net. Nishikori far too weak but his technique is their and like Tomic with an increase in effortless power will be top 20. Berankis Overrated.

Dimitrov however is something else. Something VERY special.

#6 ·
Knee jerk reaction much? Of course he's going to be a great player but to say he's going to win a Masters Series this year is a tad over the top. Have you suddenly forgot about Fed. Rafa, Nole, Muzza etc? No way he has the consistency or mentality yet to go deep in the big events.

To me, Dimitrov and Tomic look the best bet to rise to the top out of the emerging players.

Reactions: Mimi
#7 ·
Sounds like the OP needs to sneak into Dimitrov's bedroom for a play session - your love for the man is almost stalker level.

He'll win nothing of note this year. Guys like Nadal were already winning slams at 19 so until he does the same please stop these useless threads hailing the coming of the next tennis Jesus. Just because he copies Federer's game does not make him one.

Reactions: Hewitt =Legend
#10 ·
Great to have you back, Fed's Mate...

#12 ·
Bit late on this bandwagon?

#16 ·
:lol: I was about to say he dreamed Forehander's sig and decided to expand it to a thread.

Like Grisha, very much dislike over the top predictions. Let the guy develop at his own pace in relative peace.

my bet is that the dude is probably gonna be another marat safin.
I love how it's bad :lol: Wonder if he would sign on winning 2 slams and an assortment of other things right now.

#31 ·
watch him play before you judge :retard:

Bit late on this bandwagon?
As said before, never been so impressed by anyone since Fed. Simply breathtaking player.

Sounds like the OP needs to sneak into Dimitrov's bedroom for a play session - your love for the man is almost stalker level.

He'll win nothing of note this year. Guys like Nadal were already winning slams at 19 so until he does the same please stop these useless threads hailing the coming of the next tennis Jesus. Just because he copies Federer's game does not make him one.
haters gonna hate. Dont throw your pommy humor on me. Dimitrov will take the tennis world by storm. It starts TODAY

#24 · (Edited)
I had watched him in Rotterdam two years ago and had been very impressed.

I saw him this year against Wawrinka and was disappointed because the problem is that he has grown quite tall then his movement really seems to be a problem. What would Federer be with a poor movement and more than 1.90 m ? In modern game, the movement is hugely important, nearly as much as the shots, even more than in Fed's beginnings.

What's Dimitrov's current height actually ?

For the mental side, he doesn't seem to be cold-blooded yet as well. So far on the mental side Tomic (who won a lot of tie-breaks), Harrison, Raonic and Berankis have been much more impressive to me.

All these aspects and especially his height/movement rather make me think of Safin than of Federer for his future so far.

I was very impressed with Raonic in Melbourne : Ferrer had to struggle the most of he could to beat him, and with the quickness of surfaces in the 90s, he would have had even a tougher time.

Raonic would have been a great player in the 90s, unfortunately the period is different.

Dimitrov is my favorite ahead of Harrison and Raonic, but I'm not so optimistic about his future.

So far I think that Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and Del Potro (if in full health) still have many good years ahead of them before any of these players challenging them (Tomic is unfortunately too tall as well : imagine how Nadal, Djokovic and Murray can run comparing to him, and I don't think he may have Del Potro's power nor, more importantly, his game on clay : Tomic is such a tool on clay).

Tomic and Harrison might be the best ones in the future.

#32 ·
don't worry ill send some pics your way once i get hold of them. YOU wont MISS out.

As for the predictions being 'ridiculous' watch tonight. Grigor's killer forehand will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

#35 ·
His movement and footwork aren't good at all. He moves nowhere near as well as (peak) Federer, just lacks fluidity or raw speed of Nadal. Results in him frequently getting caught off balance or even near-falls. He won't be a great clay courter either. Good serve and FH though.

#39 ·
No one has Peak Federer movement...NO ONE. That being said all aspects of his game will improve in time and training. He will get lighter and the more atp matches he plays the better his defense and other aspects of his game that need tweaking. He will grow into a monster and i can see him being a real contender for Wimby and Flushing. I'm not sure about his clay prowess yet to fully judge but we will find out soon enough.

#40 ·
Thing is, Federer was an amazingly good mover, when he was very young. This new generation of Tomics and Dimitrovs are severely lacking in that aspect. Without movement, you can still be fairly competent on hard courts, but forget clay and grass. And I don't see how they will improve, your movement gets worse as you age not better. Furthermore some of Grigor's attempts to get at the ball make me cringe. I hope he stops that before he gets injured.

#43 ·
Dimitrov is annoying with his attempts to play all shots like Federer. It's weird he hasn't got longer hair and a headband ;) He hasn't Federer's talent to play quickly standing on the baseline, he needs more time to prepare his ground-strokes. He should have a decent career but the 2nd Federer he can be only on his play-station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.