Mens Tennis Forums banner

I can be the best player ever: Tomic

21K views 213 replies 118 participants last post by  atennisfan 
#1 ·
OK, can someone kill me right now, please? :tape::banghead::explode::facepalm:
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/15566464/i-can-be-the-best-player-ever-tomic/

Bernard Tomic has brushed aside his reported axing from Australia’s Davis Cup side and claimed he can be the best tennis player of all time.

Tomic strongly denies he was dumped by Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter due to behavioral issues, saying he never made himself available.

"I was never meant to play that tie," Tomic said.

"I'm going to use that time to train to prepare for tournaments in America.

"I spoke to Pat and told him I would miss the first one and maybe the second one ... I was never meant to play, I told Pat that."

The world No.52 says he is getting his career back on track.

"I'm young and I'm learning. You get to a point where you need to stop and I think it's a good bit of advice," said Tomic.

"I'm working really hard and trying to push myself to become the best tennis player I can be.

"I've had a slippery slope the last year. It's changing me and I'll prove I'm going to be the best-ever player one day to play this game."

Tennis Australia director of tennis Craig Tiley was quoted on Thursday as saying Rafter won't consider Tomic for the tie against Taiwan while questioning the 20-year-old's commitment to representing his country.

Australia's most recent grand slam winner, Sam Stosur, believes it's time for Tomic to "knuckle down" if he's going to have any chance of fulfilling his enormous potential.

When asked what advice she would give the under-fire Tomic, Stosur said he must ask himself some tough questions if he's going to bounce back from a dismal end to the year when his ranking slid from No.27 in June to No.52.

"What are you doing? Are you wanting to play tennis?," Stosur queried in Sydney.

"If you are, then give it 100 per cent because you only get one crack at it.

"He's going to have to decide what he wants to do and how he's going to approach his career.

"Until that improves in a lot of people's eyes, he's going to have to deal with things like being dropped out of the Davis Cup team."

Stosur added it would be unfortunate to witness Tomic's undoubted talent go to waste.

"That's probably the most disappointing thing for a lot of people on the outside - that he's got this unbelievable tennis ability and he's not really using it at the moment," said the 28-year-old world No.9.

"So I think everyone would like to see him knuckle down and do his best and see where that gets him."

Tomic responded positively to the words of wisdom from the 2011 US Open champion, who is about to head into her 14th year on the WTA tour.

Tomic will get the chance to start proving the doubters wrong when he represents Australia at the Hopman Cup in Perth later this month.

See less See more
#12 ·
half? you are being so kind with Tomic :rolleyes:

This generation of players is so annoying, this one specially. He is still young and has time to develop, but please shut the fuck and win a crappy 250 title at least.

Nickname according to Wiki: Bernie, Grand Slam Kid
:facepalm:

#7 ·
Stosur giving Tomic career advice :facepalm:

not to be a hater, but Tomic is infinitely more talented than her, even in contrast to the leagues they partake in. Bernard may be being unwise at the moment, but he's 19/20 years old, he's been developing fine and he will certainly have big success in his career as things go on

he's the most promising person in his generation and has loads of talent. if I were him I would just do it how he prefers, he's shown he's got the game, he'll fill the shoes at some point. Stosur of all people though, with her up and down play and flash in the pan moments of success is not really a great person to have lecture however

#9 ·
Reaching the final of an ATP tournament would be a good start to his quest of becoming the best ever.

#16 ·
one more trolling thread : this article had been posted on this forum for long (except that Stosur's words were not detailed but who cares what she says about another guy ?) but by people who had understood that the only important info was that Tomic had not planned to play that DC tie and preferred preparing American tournaments in february.

Leave the kid a break, he has enough problems at the moment, he doesn't really care at the significance of such words :shrug:

#19 · (Edited)
first of all, I follow MTF on a regular basis (daily) and don't remember that anybody posted this. second it says that the article was released today. thrid, when you an arrogant young punk who has accomplished nothing but claims that he is going to be the best player ever, no I won't leave him alone, I'll abuse him to no end and enjoy along the way till he learns to speak with his racquet instead of his big mouth. and what problems really? who created these problems? Should I feel sorry for him? hell no. I'll respect him when he becomes 'the best player ever' :p. so far zero respect from me. sorry bud.

#23 ·
#27 ·
I thought you like other Djokofans said that the defying words which Djokovic had in his early carreer were very nice to read and good for the Tour :shrug:

anyway, I just don't like these blablabla gossipings on a few words. I prefer concentrating on the reality of the game.

As for following MTF you should do it better :

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209402&page=9

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=12595411&postcount=485
duong,
very young Djokovic who already won titles etc. said, at that time, that his goal was to become #1 player in the world. nothing cocky, just showed his ambition and his wish. he trained hard, improved and actually got to #1.

saying you want to be the best player EVER is a completely different thing. It is so narcissistic. and based on what? Tomic said too many silly things btw, this is his last gem. If Tomic said 'I'd like to become #1 in the world' I wouldn't have any problem with it. At least that's something that is measurable. but 'the best player ever', what does that mean? being better than Federer? hope you understand where I'm coming from. Tomic needs to think before he open his mouth, because right now everyone is laughing at him and he is making a making a fool of himself.

#45 ·
What's wrong with his approach? Ash Ketchum's goal is to be the best, but despite all of his goody behavior, he's made one semifinal in like five or so attempts! :shrug:

Bernard made the Wimbledon quarters as a part-time tennis player and full-time troll. Legend.

I believe it. With his clueless returning, giraffe movement, and average serve :yeah:

Destroying the prestigious grounds like a boss.
Hahaha, "Fuck tradition!"

So we now know that Tomic hates Wimbledon, yet he made the quarters there.

Just imagine what he can do at a place he likes! :eek:

#26 ·
No. You. Can't.

#28 ·
Well, he's halfway there. He's already better than Djokovic. And a few arguments could be made that he's better than Nadal also. I'm sure in a couple of years he would make points that suggest he's better than Fed. After that, who knows? Move over, Laver. Hey, that rhymed.

#36 ·
Destroying the prestigious grounds like a boss.

#32 ·
I believe everything Bernie's ass says. It really speaks to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.