Mens Tennis Forums banner

Canadian players

349K views 5K replies 126 participants last post by  Eric LeClair 
#1 ·
If I start talking about Canadian players, will I be alone? Lol. If anyone else wants to talk about them, let me know please!

Dancevic, Niemeyer, Larose, other players not ranked as high in Canada.

#3,698 ·
I think Haessig has a lot more of a future ahead of him than Krainik. Krainik's scored a decent result in a futures tournament, whereas Haessig has had strong losses to competitors in Challenger qualies and etc, whereas Krainik crumbles against the stronger opponents and gets those 0,1 results we see a lot out of him. Peliwo is definitely the kid to watch out for in the future. Currently the 14th highest junior born in 1994, of course that will probably go down a bit in the next few years, but it could also go up, we'll have to see.

#3,700 ·
Vasek :eek:

Nice to see some of the other guys getting wins, though :)

And what a nice DC draw :D Sure, two road ties, but we got the two weakest teams in the Zone in our section (especially if Nico is indeed done with Davis Cup). Of course, the draw being good is probably contingent on either Milos or Frank finding enough game to win at least one singles rubber on clay. Of course, neither team has much depth; Milos or Frank should be able to beat a #2 player on the level of Endara, Campozano, Rodriguez or Garza.

#3,703 ·
WTF happened to Vasek? So disappointing :( I thought he would reach far in this tournament.. Guess I was wrong :(

#3,705 ·
vasek really has to work out his consistency and his mental game..i mean this is just sad

he does good on futures yet at the same time can have these kinds of losses, his record when he moves from from futures is just plain awful.

its hard to imagine he's feeling pressure to do anything what with milos and peter ahead of him and presumably all the attention on milos now it should relax him, take eyes off him and allow him to do something.

#3,706 ·
I hope so. I hope you're right. He has some things he need to work on. That is very clear after this loss. But well.. It's not impossible and he is quite young. Most young guys do struggle with consistency. That's why there are so few young ones in the top 100. I do think Milos has slightly more potential than Vasek though.. He usually doesn't lose first rounds in futures and he even managed to qualify for a major! That is very good imo. I think we'll get to see more good stuff from him, but yeah.. He'll definitely have some ups and downs before he establish himself, so he's also bound to lose a few matches. He needs more consistency, though he's already better than Vasek.. Now all rests on Frank. I really hope he does well here. He seemed solid playing Davis Cup this weekend, though it's kinda hard to tell how he'll do against better guys. Because the guy he played against was awful. lol

Did anyone go to see Vasek play? Just curious of anyone who was there maybe has something to add?

I'm just wondering.. I think I read there will be another future in Canada, is this correct? So I'm guessing there will be more Canadians playing that future next week?

#3,711 ·
At Canadian Futures, all the seeds moved through to the QF, except of course Vasek the #1 who was already out. So we have Chvojka, Dancevic, Duclos and Diez still in. Now if they can just all play well tomorrow, we could have all-Canadian semifinals!

Phillip SIMMONDS (USA) defeated Peter AARTS (USA) 6-4 6-2
Erik CHVOJKA (CAN) (8) defeated Haydn LEWIS (BAR) 5-7 6-3 7-6(6)
Frank DANCEVIC (CAN) (3) defeated Ahmed EL TABAKH (CAN) 6-1 6-2
Nikolaus MOSER (AUT) (5) defeated Ashwin KUMAR (USA) 6-7(0) 6-4 6-2
Nicholas MONROE (USA) (7) defeated Chris KLINGEMANN (CAN) 7-5 6-0
Pierre-Ludovic DUCLOS (CAN) (4) defeated Pavel KRAINIK (CAN) 3-6 6-2 6-2
Steven DIEZ (CAN) (6) defeated Conor POLLOCK (USA) 6-3 6-1
Brendan EVANS (USA) (2) defeated Brett JOELSON (USA) 3-6 7-5 6-3

#3,716 ·
Like I said.. Frank seems solid. Nice to see him playing this well. He should move up the rankings pretty fast if he continues like this! BTW, the ranking as it is now doesn't do him justice at all. It's obvious he's a much better player than Vasek who was the #1 seed..

Oh, and I almost forgot.. Thanks for the results :)

Are we sure Peter is going to try to qualify for the ATP 250 event? Because he just updated on Facebook saying he would be practicing for the rest of the week?:confused:

At least Milos confirmed he will try to qualify for the Malaysian Open tournament.

#3,718 ·
Ok I have a question that's not really related to Canadian tennis. Hundreds of people applied to play at this tournament, and now when I look at the qualifying draw, why didn't they just add more people to that. Like I can see all the seeds getting byes, but when wildcards like Philip Davydenko get a bye and others don't it doesn't make sense.

#3,719 ·
the original "applying" to play the tournament was for main draw entry only. All tournaments ATP 250 and less get their qualifying draws from sign ins. In this specific tournament only 17 people signed in to play singles qualies so the other 15 spots were given byes;)

#3,720 ·
Peter has a much tougher road to the main draw, if he makes the second round he will most like have Yang (Top junior 2 years ago) and if he gets past that he will get Dodig in the final round. Funny how we thought he a few weeks ago that he had a good shot against Blake, but since his loss to Rieschick, expectations have been toned down again.

On the other hand, it would be disappointing if Milos didn't make it through.

Right now I would have to rank the Canadian players in this order as to how well they are playing.
1. Dancevic
2. Polansky
3. Raonic
4. Bester
5. The rest since they are all hot/cold.

Bester should make the semi's in France and maybe even the final. How many points do you get for the semis of a 15K+H? I know you get 1, 4, ?, ?, 35. but I don't know how much for the semis and the finals.

#3,730 ·
Oh.. and btw, it has been windy has hell here today too.. Probably storm. It's probably around 12 degrees, and with a cold wind.. Well, it's not exactly warm. lol. At least it's sunny, considering it rains 300 days a year here. Gotta love living in the rainiest city in Europe... sigh.

#3,729 ·
Regarding Erik, I sent Tennis Canada an email and got this reply.

Hi Michael,

Leaving Erik out of the article was our oversight. We had not received all of the match results from the tournament desk at the time the article was written and we used what we had. In hindsight we should have double checked to see if Erik had won his match or not. If he wins today, he will certainly be mentioned in tonight's story. We appreciate your interest.

Regards,

Sarah

----- Original Message -----
To: Info
Sent: Fri Sep 24 12:31:58 2010
Subject: Erik Chvojka

I noticed on your website you have an article called: "Diez, Duclos and Dancevic Advance to Tevlin Quarters". There is also a fourth Canadian, Erik Chvojka in the quarters. Is there a reason he wasn't mentioned.

Thanks

Michael

#3,734 ·
Ugh.. why did you do that? :(

Anyways, he's one of the few Candians who is consistent and is actually doing well. Even with the loss, it's still better than most of the other players. lol.

This guy obviously has a lot of potential, so I'm happy to see him win a few matches :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.