Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rotterdam R1: Nieminen def. Goffin 6-0 6-0

16K views 180 replies 91 participants last post by  Chris Kuerten 
#1 ·
The future of tennis :worship:

#87 ·
Haas :bowdown:

#88 ·
In moments like this, there are only two letters in the alphabet to describe it:

GG.

#90 ·
Omg

#92 ·
His hand is placed on a pedestrian part of Rogi's backside. Missed opportunity IMO.

#94 ·
The hatred for David Goffin is absolutely ridiculous. As a big supporter of him, I feel I have to at least attempt to defend him in this case.

Firstly, what does Federer have to do with this? Yes, he likes Federer and perhaps likes him a lot, but why is that sufficient means to bash him? :shrug: It's just plain stupid and highlights just how limited some of the posters on this website are when it comes to ways they can disrupt proceedings. :lol: He most certainly does not play anything like Federer. People might try and tell you he does, but he doesn't. David plays more of a counter-punching game, yes some of the flashy winners are there, but he's inherently less aggressive than Federer and lacks the variety that the Swiss has. :yeah:

Secondly, yes this was a dreadful performance by Goffin, but we are exaggerating how much if a disaster this is. Maybe he'll take a few days to get over it, but then he'll be bursting to go when it comes to Marseille or Dubai and I expect him to produce a good level again. One bad match doesn't break a season.

#127 ·
Wait, let me see if I'm getting this right: So Goffin gets double-bageled and this loss is somehow, someway, supposed to be metaphysically connected to- or rubbing off on- Federer or Federer's 'judgment', because at some point, somewhere, Federer had hugged this kid and said that he might have a future? Therefore... Federer's 'judgment' is somehow poor, or was premature, or, ahem, he's just bad or stupid period because he had the audacity to charitably, if somewhat minimally, encourage a young man at the end of a competitive match last year in the 4R of RG without foreseeing that that young man would then get double-bageled at some point in the year following. Therefore, that hug and those nice words, which will forever live in infamy, were an abject failure on Federer's part and the Swiss should never be nice to a young person who MAY fail in some match at some point in the future.. And Federer should just collapse on the floor and writhe with shame. ??? > :stupid:

Is this what passes for 'logic' in this forum? Are these the kind of angles Federer haters have been reduced to? I mean they couldn't go after his wardrobe choices or his apparent superiority complex or something? Now it's about who Federer happens to hug and whisper nice things to? :smash:

Have some of these people even matriculated from grade school yet, or is business just slow in momma's basement or what?

Reactions: MissMoJo
#133 ·
you need to relax a little bit, ok? :cool:

#130 ·
The player with the brighter future won.

Seriously, it's absurd that people ever considered Goffin the future of tennis, having posters of Federer in your room does not earn you tournaments unfortunately. I predicted Nieminen in easy 2 in the WWW thread, but not even I expected two bagels :lol:

#144 ·
This was downright embarrassing. Though Goffin got a little unlucky (a 6-2 6-2 score would've been possible if not for a few points) the amount of effort he put into this match was pathetic. Nieminen was solid, but didn't do much, just waited for David to implode. This he did aplenty.

I'm done with Goffin for now

#145 ·
I envisioned these scorelines for Nemo after I saw his devastating form against Hass at the AO.

#149 ·
Forgetting the bagel muncher for a sec, got to say that Nemo is in his best early-year form since '06 by far. Usually he's able to generate one or two good showings in the first three tourneys, then plummets to obscurity.

This year, even though he didn't win a title like last year in Sydney, he's been playing really well and most important consistent in all tourneys. The semi against Gasquet last week was really good even tho he lost.

#151 ·
I love Jarkko:) Something about him I have always loved; his fighting spirit and genuine good nature...He never gives up and that Haas match at the AO solidified why I love to watch him play...He doesn't get enough credit here which isn't shocking, though considering the calibre of mentality with some of the these posters

He has been playing pretty well this year each week...Last year, he did seem to stall after winning Sydney but that doesn't seem to be the case this year...Hope he keeps this up because I would love to see him back inside the Top 30 or 40 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.