Mens Tennis Forums banner

The best seasons of Rafa were always the ones after winning a Davis Cup final...

3K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  Warrior 
#1 ·
2004: Spain beat USA to win a DC final (Rafa defeats Roddick)
2005: First Grand Slam title (Roland Garros), 4 Masters Series titles (two on hard courts) and #51 to #2 in the ATP ranking

2008: Spain beat Argentina to win a DC final (Rafa didn't play, so this example doesn't necessarly count)
2009: Rafa wins first hard court GS (Australian Open) and 3 Masters Series titles befory injury stops his season

2009: Spain beat Czech Republic to win a DC final (Rafa defeats Berdych)
2010: 3 GS titles (RG, Wimby and first US Open title), completing Grand Slam, 3 Masters Series titles

Some other exapmles?
-Verdasco after winning DC in Argentina played his best Grand Slam ever in Australia reaching semis
-Djokovic after winning first Davis Cup title had the most amazing tennis season since many many ears
-whole Serbian team last year...

How will 2012 look like for Nadal?

See less See more
#2 ·
We could very well see a reformed Rafa, but this guy needs to take a good rest for the next 3 weeks.

He is playing exho in Abu Dhabi with Roger, Nole, Tsonga, Pics and Gael from 29th to 31st December. Abu Dhabi exho

It pretty much depends if Rafa can get himself out of the mental block he currently has against Nole, and whether a new year will change things. Will be interesting, as a fan, I'm definitely hoping 2012 will be better than 2011. :D

Also, he needs to work on his serve and the backhand.

#4 ·
It's there to see for everyone, Rafa can become the man to beat in 2012...

He needs to work badly on that serve though (will come if he has confidence, which this victory should help with) His backhand is already coming back at times, just needs finetuning. His forehand might be the second biggest issue after serving, dropping short, and sitting up instead of going through the court as well as bouncing high up.

Good luck beating him where it matters next year

#7 ·
It's there to see for everyone, Rafa can become the man to beat in 2012...
He needs to work badly on that serve though (will come if he has confidence, which this victory should help with) His backhand is already coming back at times, just needs finetuning. His forehand might be the second biggest issue after serving, dropping short, and sitting up instead of going through the court as well as bouncing high up.

Good luck beating him where it matters next year
Only if Djoker, Fed & Murray suck big time all year then he can be the man to beat in 2012. Rafa already passed his peak. His 2008 form won't be back.

#11 ·
There's definitely some truth - especially relevant with Djokovic. Obviously 2009 was not a good year but then he didn't even play 2008 final so arguably doesn't count

#17 ·
The Davis Cup is very important for Nadal because he is not a selfish player. Winning for his country always makes him more dangerous. People will need to watch out for Rafa in 2012

#29 ·
You are the worst Rafa fan ever. You always expect him to lose and don't say that you are realistic because a winner of 10 GS who still is in his prime will have an amazing year in 2012. Just like 2008/2010 and even better. The davis cup has boosted his confidence and he has a month to improve till AO. The surface there suits him well and he is going to be healthy.
Vamos Rafa!

#23 ·
I am surprised people are taking Nadal's recent bad form so seriously.

he has poor form at the end of the year more often than not, and honestly does he even care much about Asian/Indoor swing? no.

He just won the Davis Cup. he will come out strong in 2012. you forget that he has a month to train and get back into shape. definitely think he may surprise the general tennis population and all of these fair-weather fans

#24 ·
Only haters or Fedtards would count out a 10 time GS champ... I bet the same people were jerking off over Nadal's poor second part of 2009 season...Nadal will find a way, trust me.

#32 ·
How 2009 can be considered a good year for Nadal beats the hell out of me. :confused:

It would have been an amazing year for a lot of players sure, but for Rafa? First loss in RG? Doesn't even show up in Wimby. :shrug:

Edit: Oh ok, the OP says that 2008/9 "doesn't necessarly count".

#35 ·
I hope Nadal is healthy and manages his schedule, he needs to get his endurance up a little, he's been tired in later rounds with Djokovic.

He can beat Djokovic but has to be able to go all the way like he used to.

Last year he lost a lot of hardware so that should be enough to awaken his fighting spirit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.