Mens Tennis Forums banner

How would you rate the 2012 US Open?

Rate the 2012 US Open

2K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  Jimnik 
#1 ·
How would you rate this year's US Open. I'd give it a 5, and I think a slam couldn't have much worse rating, it still has so good a field. The court was too slow and scheduling bad as usual in USO, this year's weather just showed so well how stupid USTA are with scheduling.

From tennis perspective, I didn't find USO too exiting. Nole was so dominant except for the final and the 1st set against Ferrer. The final was awful, only good thing was that Andy won, maybe he'll have more confidence in his next GS finals, we may see better playing from him. Another match the result of which I liked was Berdy beating Roger, it was nice to see Tomas in SF and that match showed not even Federer is sure to reach SF.

#2 ·
it didn't do too much for me. few upsets, far too much grinding which i don't find appealing. seeing del potro, whom i don't even cheer for, go unrewarded for his offensive tactics against novak doesn't work for me.

if the balls were lighter, that'd have probably made things interesting for me. i think court speed was too big of an issue here... the balls themselves didn't seem to travel as fast as they should.

#5 ·
I give it a 3, and I'm being generous.

Disgusting surface, disgusting exit of the best player in the world in QF

Disgusting wind, disgusting rain.

Disgusting USTA.

Only Murray winning it saves it a little.

#8 ·
I rated it 10 but that is a joke.

This year the USO was a joke. Aside from Murray's win it was pretty awful.

#9 ·
Terrible. Speed up the courts and go back to 16 seeds instead of 32 and then your might regain some excitment at the event. Boring tournmanent this year. Comentary coverage was the worst I have ever seen. Very classless with little to no analysis. Get Wilander and Hewitt in the booth instead of ego driven Courier and Bitter Navratilova spewing garbage. Chris Fowler needs to go as well....Tennis Commentary should not be about politics.

Isner Kohlschrieber match was the only one I found interesting enough to sit through. Final was boring IMO. Looked like a match in the juniors.

#11 ·
Overall it was the worst slam in a long while. No excitement at all. Even the semis, normally my favorite round, sucked.

Only Ferrer-Tipsarevic and the final are matches worth mentioning. Del Potro retiring Roddick was good (no Roddick hater).

Nothing else worth remembering comes to mind.

#14 ·
Bad.
One of my favs wasn't able to play, and the other one decided after four practice matches that he wasn't in for a decent performance either. :eek:

Tsonga :help: Dolgo

Ferrer's performance and Murray winning it brings it trois points.

And yes of course - okay, the wet windy conditions may have to do with it as well, but I truly hoped that those slow-as-sh*t courts we witnessed in 2011 were indeed the result of an 'unfortunate paint mistake' as some claimed it was.
I have now come to the conclusion that those courts have been slowed down on purpose as it wasn't any better than last year.

Seriously, a 54-points rally in a USO Final? Which is supposed to be on fast HC and thereby facilitating fast, attacking tennis? :speakles:
Don't get me wrong, I like long grinding rallys - at RG, or any other clay tournament, or perhaps even at IW/Miami.
But at the USO??? It's just plain damn WRONG.

Who are these donuts among the tennis PTB who apparently think that endless, boring rallys ending up with an UE are 'the way to go' - on every surface? :silly: :tape:

#16 ·
2/10. worst ive seen since i started following tennis in 2003, but thats only based on all the players i dislike went far and all the players i like went out early. combined with the stupid weather and scheduling. u gotta say there were a fair bunch of 5 setters and comebacks from 2 sets down which is always exciting and saves the one point for me, but all the wrong players won all the time in my point of view :-/ murray winning it in the end obviously only made matters worse, the only good result was isner bowing out to kohlschreiber when i really apprehended that he might go far...

#19 ·
Ferrer v Tipsy is the only match worth mentioning for tennis quality. Other than that it's all unrelated to tennis with Roddick retiring and Andy finally winning one.

Was real bad in general. Gave it a 2 and it woulda been 0 if not for above mentioned reasons cause even the final was a junior class match.

#22 ·
All bad things mentioned above like court speed, wheather, schedulling ...

Positives for me : new, fresh grandslam winner and Klizan reaching 4th round and playing on Ashe :)

#23 ·
10/10 of course.

The scheduling and weather were not great but I could not care less now that Andy won. The final, while maybe not the best ever quality wise, was great drama and the way Andy closed it out in the fifth, to win his first slam, was excellent.

#26 ·
1/10

Mandy Windray lucking out against choking mugs and tired Djoker, assisted by USTA mafia made this the worst slam after Wimbledon.

This year's slams:

AO>RG>W>USO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.