MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - There is no finish line...

View Single Post

Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
country flag ApproachShot

ApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond reputeApproachShot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is no finish line...

Thanks for the positive responses everyone!

I'll try to add those in JediFed - and yes, if Federer plays every slam up to US Open 2013 then he will match Wayne Ferreira's record of participating in 56 consecutive slams. I think there were a couple of other ones I missed out as well like overtaking Borg and Sampras for the most consecutive years having won a grand slam. Then there's also the fact that if Federer can do the impossible and win the French Open this year, then he will be the only person to have defended all slams (he already has the record for the most individual number of slams defended, at 9. Moreover, even though Laver was the only man to win the Calendar Year Grand Slam in the Open Era, Federer holds the record for winning the most Grand Slam matches in a year as he won 27 in 2006 while Laver won 26 in 1969 as he only had to play 5 matches in the Australian Open.

Does anyone have data on consecutive weeks in the top 2 other than the ATP webiste?

Also, doing this thread has made me think that in the Open Era, Federer can lay claim to being the greatest player at the Australian Open. While he's not far off earning the same distinction at Wimbledon and the US Open, I don't think he's quite matched Sampras at Wimbledon or Connors at the US Open. For me one more victory in each would seal the deal.

Last edited by ApproachShot : 05-30-2010 at 07:34 PM.
ApproachShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote