MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ATP Race points 2011 for juniors (1993 and younger)

View Single Post

Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP Race points 2010 for juniors (1992 and younger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrijagajic View Post
What do you think who can be the best from this generation?
I have not seen them play, except a little bit Tomic, then I'm surely not at all an expert for that : you should rather ask Springer89 .

I only check the results, and that's my only job here

For a very quick approach from a mere statistician, I can only say that :

- so far Tomic has always had the best results of his generation whereas he's one of the youngest of that list (born october 1992).

- Harrison, Krajinovic, Bhambri have also received a lot of hype, and had corresponding results (whereas Boluda, born in january 1993, had also had a lot of hype but didn't deserve it by his results except when he was very young).

- anyway, these players from this 1992 generation look more promising than the previous generations, that's why this generation is esp interesting. From time to time in tennis there is one generation with many good players who actually play against each other from the young age and who get good results at adult level, partly because of their mutual competition (for instance generations 1981-1982, 1986-1987, 1971-1972 ... )

Also something to note : all of these players are allowed to play in junior tournaments and many of the best ones don't do it.

That's why I think it's esp interesting to look at their results in ATP tournaments, where the best ones of this generation are actually trying to compete now.

People make a lot of hype about results in junior tournaments but if players succeed in junior tournaments while being already nearly 18 years old (like Monfils in the past), I don't think it's really interesting as the main competitors from his generation have already stopped playing junior tournaments.

I rather look at junior results for younger players (it's still OK for generation 1993 and younger ones, but for generation 1992, I don't think it's really interesting to look at their results in junior tournaments anymore).