MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - new blog!

Thread: new blog!
View Single Post

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
country flag dunlopkickserve

dunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond reputedunlopkickserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new blog!

Here is a little tease of my first post. Please feel free to comment, critique etc.

The 5th Set
Boris Becker once said that the 5th set is no longer about tennis. After a certain point raw talent becomes worthless. Our heart takes over and it is the only thing that carries us. When mind and body tell us to shut down; give up, something almost supernatural propels us forward. I was playing a friendly match with the number one player on my college club team. The match was intense, and I was at the point of complete exhaustion. I was down 3-4 and serving at duce. I had nothing left to give. I stared across at Sam, my friend, my opponent. He had hardly broke a sweat. I tossed the ball into the air praying that my serve would just go in the box. Bang. I hit an ace out wide. Advantage me. Surely that must have been a fluke. I wiped the sweat from my face and prepared for another, even more exhuasting point. I tossed the ball into the air once again. Bang. Another ace down the middle to stay on serve. I donít know how to explain those two aces. My body said no more, and yet somehow I managed to hit the perfect ball. After I hit the second ace a strange, almost divine feeling washed over me. The mixture of exhaustion and pure bliss is so rare that most of us feel it only a few times in our lives. What is it about our passions that cause us to go the extra mile? I know that what I am feeling is not adrenaline, serotonin or dopamine- for all of those have long dissipated from my system. What could it be? Aristotle believed that the meaning of life is to be happy. Could that be Godís plan? Does God want me to keep playing tennis? I think that is why we are all here. I think that when we go that extra mile in anything; be it tennis, school, or our relationships with others, God gives us that inexplicable feeling, the feeling of true happiness, and that feeling brings us a little closer to him. The feeling is fleeting, and almost impossible to attain, but when we do, there is nothing in the world that could satisfy the human soul more.

-Adam Andexler
dunlopkickserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote