MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The most #1 record reached thread

View Single Post

Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #96
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The countdown to most #1 record thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
Erm...exactly. It is very bad already even though I'm sure he's motivated just to beat the Sampras record. When the Sampras record is gone there's really very little incentive for Roger to do well outside of slams. I do kind of fear his downfall if he doesn't find some motivation from somewhere.
he said in the beginning of the year that he wants to finish the year as number 1 :

- to equal that other Sampras's record : number of years finishing number 1 (6)

- because he just likes to be number 1 in front of these youngsters

I thought in the beginning of the year that 2010 would be his last really great year, so far I've not changed my mind.

But actually I think that what might change perspective in the coming months would be a huge Nadal coming back : he could make the number 1 very hard to approach.

Like every year, we will know better after Wimbledon

But anyway, whether or not he's number 1 or other, things depend on Fed's extra-life (it has obviously changed since last year ) and also on his desire.

For instance, I had the impression that he was "hungry of tennis" in Indian Wells although Baggy beat him, whereas in Miami, he doesn't look like a player with a lot of desire

I think that even when he's not number 1 anymore, he may have some moments when he's "hungrier" and moments when he's less.

It often happens with old players actually, even when they're not called Federer