MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Jarkko News and Articles

View Single Post

Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
country flag Eden
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jarkko News and Articles

Biofile with Jarkko Nieminen

Written by: Mark "Scoop" Malinowski on 3rd March 2010

Biofile with Jarkko Nieminen

Status: Winner of one ATP singles title. Career high singles rank #13 in July 2006. Has career wins over Sampras, Agassi, Djokovic.

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 172

DOB: July 23, 1981 In: Masku, Finland

Tennis Inspirations: “Vilas when Borg and McEnroe played. Becker, Edberg and Sampras.”

Nicknames: “Just my first name. I haven’t had any nice nicknames [smiles].”

Hobbies/Leisure Activities: “Well, listen to music, watching movies, doing the sports like ice hockey, soccer, basketball, floor hockey, badminton.”

Early Tennis Memory: “I have so many of those, which ones should I pick…I remember when I was hitting the ball against our living rooom window. I was doing that like the whole day. Playing tennis inside, hitting against the window (age 5). And the window didn’t break, just like, it was loose [smiles].”

Pre-Match Feeling: “It depends on what kind of match there is. But the first time I played against Sampras was really fun because he used to be my idol. I started to play better and I was able to beat him. I was really excited and deeply concentrated to my own game. Because he was really my idol when I was a young boy. I just try to concentrate on my own game. And try to analyze my game and the opponent’s game as well as I can.”

First Job: “Tennis.”

First Car: “That was Fiat (blue).”

Favorite Meal: “Meatballs.”

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Blueberry.”

Greatest Sports Moment: “Well, I think when I won my first title in 2006 (Auckland). I was so close so many times before, finally won it. So it was, at least, one of the best moments.”

Most Painful Moment: “Hmmm…there’s many painful moments. But it must be the most painful matches when I had – I lost a few – after I had match points. Not so lately but a few years ago.”

Favorite Tournaments: “U.S. Open. Wimbledon. Stockholm. Madrid. Barcelona. Australia. I also like playing in Asia.”

Closest Tennis Friends: “I’m pretty close with the Swedish guys like Simon Aspelin. Guys from Nordic countries, guys from Sweden, Denmark.”

Funniest Players: “Simon Aspelin. (Aspelin interjects with a smile, “Ask him again what he thinks before the match because I want to hear the truth.”)

Toughest Competitors: “Well, Federer has been the toughest for me. And obviously many guys. But I have played ten times against him and never beaten him, never won a set.”

Embarrassing Tennis Memory: “No I don’t have any embarrassing memories. Just playing really bad on big courts – that’s maybe the most embarrassing.”

Funny Memory: “It’s tough to pick one. There’s many but not when you ask [smiles]…well, once I served to my doubles partner’s ass. And really, real like hard. That was pretty embarrassing. It was a guy from my club (age 17).”

Favorite Vacation: “I would like to go to Nepal. The big mountains, Himalayas.”

People Qualities Most Admired: “I like open-minded, polite, respect other people.”

Family: Wife, Anu.

Source: http://www.10sballs.com/2010/03/03/b...rkko-nieminen/
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote