MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Irish Tennis

Thread: Irish Tennis
View Single Post

Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #54
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Tennis

Louk is up 3-2 in the second set. Some screen captures of the neck-less one:

He just lost the second set in a tiebreaker 7-6 (4), so it looks like this may be the end. I've been impressed with his play. Whenever John hasn't been power serving him, he has looked like the better player. Unfortunately, the height and the power counts for quite a bit.

Odd note: Louk's serve is terrific despite his 5'9 height. I've been impressed with how easily he has held his serve and how many aces and unreturnable serves he has had. Also, Louk doesn't hit many unforced errors and opponent really has to earn the point. These match stats up through early in the third set are revealing:

Just about a 2:1 winner to unforced error ratio. You can see how close the match has been too (75 pts to 71).
-------------------
EDIT: Louk just lost 6-3, 7-6 (4), 7-5. He lost his serve after scraping his leg in the 5-5 game when he had two break points to serve for the set. It seemed to take him out of rhythm on his next service game, and it was the only bad service game I witnessed today. He had some brilliant winners and played a solid match today.

The 70 extra points should improve his ranking to a career high, somewhere around #205. With a few more results like this he could break into the top 200 and set his sights on the top 100. Isner was very complimentary of his efforts and it was nice to see him get some major television coverage and exposure. He handled the big stage pretty well.

One obvious complaint, Louk needs to play the big points a little better. He had a couple of bad misses at the net that could have turned the whole match around in his favor, but flubbed them. Total points won was extremely close, only 99-94 in Isner's favor. That margin is not usually indicative of a 3 straight set loss.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================

Last edited by Nolby : 01-20-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote