MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Irish Tennis

Thread: Irish Tennis
View Single Post

Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #52
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irish Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyirl
Matt Doyle won matches at Slams as an IRL player?? No??

Why does the article say first in Open Era.
RTE's contribution interprets history a little differently than the three English newspapers (see below). Since they didn't even get Louk's last qualification opponent correct in Chennai, it will probably be necessary to do some individual research to get this question resolved. See EDIT below article for facts on 1985 AO and Matt Doyle.

Sorensen records historic win in Oz
Tuesday, 19 January 2010 17:28
http://www.rte.ie/sport/tennis/2010/...stralianm.html

Louk Sorensen became the first Irishman to win a grand slam match in 25 years when he defeated Yen-Hsun Lu in the first-round of the Australian Open.

Sorensen reached the main draw of a major for the first time in qualifying last week and continued his dream run in Melbourne by beating a player ranked almost 200 places higher 6-4 3-6 6-2 6-1.

Ireland had not produced a player that had won a match at a grand slam since the Californian-born Matt Doyle won through to the round of 32 at the 1985 Australian Open.

But Sorensen, ranked 287 in the world, defied the odds to bring that record to an end.

The 25-year-old's match had been postponed after Monday's rain with the players assigned to arguably the least glamorous court at the Melbourne Park complex - Court 14 where the shunting trams just metres away are more audible than the cheers from the other courts.

Regardless, the court will long live in the memory of Sorensen who, with only five players ranked below than him in the whole main draw, was expected to come unstuck against world number 101 Lu.

But the outsider, whose father Sean coaches the Davis Cup team, showed his gritty resolve early as he broke in the opening set which he took out, with his third set point, by firing a forehand down the line.
There was little between the players and when Lu levelled the match at one set apiece the contest had already lasted more than an hour and a half.

But from there Sorensen took control as he raced through the next two sets in an hour to claim his historic win.

Sorensen has spent most of his career on the Challenger tour while also playing for third division Bundesliga tennis club TC Doggenburg to earn enough money to continue to play.

'It's the biggest achievement of my career so far,' said Sorensen, who grew up in Germany but whose parents live in Dublin.

'I got through the first round now so I'm very happy.

'I don't know what it will be like in Ireland. I don't want to know until after the tournament.'
Sorensen will next play 6ft 9ins American John Isner on Wednesday and after revealing his coach had been unable to travel with him to Australia, said he was likely to prepare for the match by watching YouTube highlights.

'He (coach) had to go back to Germany, he has an important meeting so he couldn't come to Australia,' he added.

'But I will call my coach in Germany definitely.

'Isner is a big server. I have never played anyone that tall. He is huge.

'I am maybe going to watch a few points on YouTube.'
---------------------------
EDIT:
According to Wikipedia, RTE is incorrect again. Matt Doyle did finally play under the Irish flag in 1985, but lost in his first round match. See Section 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Au...en%27s_Singles
========================
Just to make things more confusing, The Irish Times reports (in a pretty spare article):
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/oth...262645616.html

"The result saw Sorensen become the first Irishman to win a grand slam singles match since 1984 when Matt Doyle beat Sandy Mayer at Wimbledon."

But according to Wikipedia, Doyle was still playing under the U.S. flag at Wimbledon in 1984. See Section 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Wi...en%27s_Singles
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================

Last edited by Nolby : 01-20-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote