MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2011 Davis Cup Thread

View Single Post

Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #24
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2010 Davis Cup Thread

so he takes the year off

Roddick to take year off Davis Cup
January 08 2010 at 01:52PM

Brisbane, Australia - American Andy Roddick confirmed Friday that he would not represent the United States in the 2010 Davis Cup to avoid causing any further damage to his suspect knee.

Roddick was speaking after he beat Richard Gasquet 6-3, 7-6 (7/5) in the quarter-finals of the Brisbane International.

The world number seven injured his knee during the ATP event in Shanghai last October, forcing him to withdraw from the tournament.

He said while the knee was not causing him any problems now, he wanted to protect it as much as possible throughout the coming year.

"I want to switch surfaces as little as possible this year with my knee, because of the way last year finished," he said.

"I'm not going to be one of the guys who plays when it's convenient, when it's close to home and on a good surface for him. ( )

"In Davis Cup my view has always been you decide at the beginning of the year whether to go to everything or not and at this point we just decided that it was smarter as far as long term health is concerned, to at least be consistent with surfaces as much as possible."

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...4835573C760360

Roddick to miss 2010 Davis Cup because of fragile body
Friday, January 8, 2010; 7:51 AM

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Andy Roddick has made himself unavailable for the U.S. Davis Cup team this year in the hope of preserving his ailing body.

Roddick, 27, has been a regular member of the American Davis Cup squad for almost a decade but has decided to miss this year after a knee injury cut short his 2009 season.

"I am not playing Davis Cup this year, (but) I am not retiring from Davis Cup," he told reporters at the Brisbane International on Friday. "I am not going to be one of those guys who plays when it is convenient, when it is close to home and on a good surface for them.

"In Davis Cup my view is that you decide at the beginning of the year whether you are going to go through everything or not.

"Sometimes you have to listen to your body and do what is smart even though it is not an easy decision in the short term."
ad_icon

Roddick's decision is a huge blow to the U.S. Davis Cup team following reports his long time team mate James Blake may also be pulling out this year.

The United States have won the Davis Cup a record 32 times, most recently in 2007, but face a tricky first-round tie away to Serbia this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010800920.html

Roddick to miss Davis Cup in 2010
American Andy Roddick has announced he won’t be playing Davis Cup by BNP Paribas in 2010.

Roddick, who made his debut in 2001, has enjoyed an illustrious Davis Cup career. He has compiled a win-loss record of 31-11 and was a key member of USA’s victorious team in 2007.

“I’m not playing Davis Cup this year but I’m not retiring from Davis Cup,” said Roddick. “We [Roddick and his team] just agreed that I’m going to switch surfaces as little as possible this year with my knee and the way that last year finished.”

Roddick was hampered with a knee injury at the end of 2009, causing him to miss a number of events including the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London.

“It certainly wasn’t an easy decision but I do feel confident in the fact that we have capable players who are ready and willing to step in and we’ll re-evaluate for next year,” said the 27-year-old.

Roddick is a former world No. 1 and US Open champion. In 2009, he reached the final at Wimbledon for the third time, losing to Roger Federer in an epic five-setter on Centre Court.

“Andy Roddick is an exceptional Davis Cup player and, over the years, his commitment to his team and to the competition has been outstanding,” said Francesco Ricci Bitti, ITF President.

“I have always seen him as a potential captain for the American team and I believe he would be a great one.

“While we regret that he will not participate in 2010, we have to respect his decision to change his programme to give him the best possible chance to win another Grand Slam title.

“He came so close last year at Wimbledon in what was surely one of the best finals ever and I believe that he has the talent and, more importantly, the determination to add one or more Grand Slam titles to his resume.

“We certainly wish him good luck in his endeavours and look forward to having him back playing Davis Cup in the future.”

James Blake has also decided not to play Davis Cup by BNP Paribas in 2010. The former world No. 4 - like Roddick - made his Davis Cup debut in 2001 and has since posted a win-loss record of 21-12. He was also a key member of the triumphant American team in 2007, winning both his singles rubbers.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsart...rticleid=16690

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish

Last edited by Kate87 : 01-08-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote