MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina

View Single Post

Old 12-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina

David Nalbandian, King of Buenos Aires
Published by Sebas on 12/21/2009 Monday December 21, 2009
Deportes

''The 'King David'' yet again
David Nalbandian prevailed once again in a 6-4, 6-4 win over Marcos Bagdatis in the finals of the Copa Argentina. In this exhibition tournament, the Cordovan returned to tennis after eight months of inactivity. Earlier, he had lost to Gaudio in the final Group 1, but got into the finals based on a 3-2 advantage in number of sets won in the round robin event.

Nalbandian offered glimpses of his best tennis in a spirited contest that displayed both ups and downs.

The Córdoban had fallen prior to Gaston Gaudio 6-3, 5-7 and 6-4, but also qualified because he only needed to win one set in order to become a finalist.

In turn, Baghdatis beat Juan Monaco 7-6 7-5 on Sunday and defeated Fernando Gonzalez 6-2, 6-2 on Thursday.

Both meetings for the semifinals on Saturday had been suspended due to rains in Buenos Aires and its surroundings, so that today these players had to play two matches apiece.

In this final Nalbandian started playing with determination and focus, but then the match began to get more difficult as he started hitting some unforced errors.

"At one point I would play a good game, at another point less so, but I'm finding that is why this tournament has been so helpful," admitted the native Argentine tennis player.

After taking a 3-1 lead, Baghdatis fought back to even the match at 3-3 in the first set and gained much confidence, while Nalbandian started to make some errors.

But this time, David put those uncertainties aside and the same thing began to happen to the Cypriot's serve when he had the lead and that is when he suffered the second break in that set. As a result of unforced errors, the match got close, and at times lagging, despite the good intentions of the players, who also cited fatigue, the result of having to deal with a semifinal and a final on the same day.

Despite the mistakes, there were some remarkable quality shots, as the battle against Baghdatis picked up with the first set at 5-4, after the Argentine had returned to be two points from taking the first set. But Nalbandian stiffened his resolve when the last game got tight and won the first set by 6-4.

Already in the second set, the symptoms of fatigue were evident in the native Cypriot in the first game and at that moment he seemed about to become easy prey to Nalbandian, but Baghdatis fought to recover and so the final was won on emotion.

With Nalbandian up a break and serving at 5-4, the tension rose until a bad Baghdatis return of serve gave David a Match point, but the Argentine had to keep fighting and appealing to his best weapons until he could take the match by a double 6-4.

Nalbandian, currently #64 in the world, had to fight to defeat a rival who is ranked 42, and finally reached the goal of being the champion.

On his return to the court, three-time champion David Nalbandian was dedicated to the Peugeot Argentina Tennis Cup also cash delivery-as usual-a car brand of the lion. David is a known lover of cars and this year took the latest release of the mark in the country, the Peugeot 308 CC.

Just like lasy year, almost as a ritual, he pushed friends to the convertible for the photo but when taking the microphone, the Cordoban thanked the crowd and then gave a complaint to Peugeot: "Let's see if this year I I give because I always give a 206.
Thus, Nalbandian will sponsor a public charity to deliver the beautiful and exclusive local car whose price is $179,000 .

Report Jorge Parodi
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote