MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina

View Single Post

Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
country flag Nolby
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond reputeNolby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2009 Off-Season Exhibitions: San Juan/Copa Argentina

Wow! I guess everyone was expecting someone else to post this news. Surprised there is no discussion on it.

David won the Copa Argentina yesterday, defeating an in-form Marcos Baghdatis 6-4, 6-4. This victory was to me the most impressive of the matches he has won since coming back from hip surgery and the seven month recovery, as Baggy has recently healed from his own injuries and was riding a hot streak. Prior to this match, Marcos had won back to back titles at the end of October at the Tashkent Challenger, and then he won his third ATP World Tour title at the Stockholm Open, and that launched his ranking from #87 back to #41.

Baggy had fallen as lows as #151 following a knee injury that kept him out of competition through Wimbledon. Prior to that success at the end of the season, he had won two ATP Challenger Tour titles at Vancouver and St. Remy, and then looked extremely sharp pushing No. 2 Rafael Nadal to three close sets in Beijing.

I was following his run at Stockholm, because Robin Soderling was playing his fourth straight tournament in as many weeks hoping to make the Elite Eight and a place in the London WTFs. Robin made the semis and was due to play Marcos, but that was the match where he pulled out and stopped playing tennis for several weeks (missing the Valencia ATP500) due to tennis elbow. However, to my recollection, Marcos never dropped a set in winning the Stockholm title. He looked impressive, and in my eyes is back in the mix.

At the Copa Argentina, Marcos routed World No 11 Fernando Gonazalez 6-2, 6-2 and then defeated Juan Monaco 7-6, 7-5 on Sunday afternoon. This basically meant that Marcos had not lost a set, let alone a match since mid October. I fully expected him to dominate David, maybe giving David his first bad loss since his return. David had already incurred his first loss since his return earlier in the day to Gaston Gaudio, 3-6, 7-5, 4-6, and this did not leave me feeling very optimistic although he had won his three previous matches against Massu, Gaudio (in San Juan) and Moya. But the Gaudio/Nalby match was played in extremely hot and humid conditions, causing a bottle of Santa Julia ( ) to explode during the match. The night conditions were obviously more favorable to his game.

Ok, I've written the build up as to why I didn't think he would win this match and how big this win really is. David deafeated Baghdatis 6-4, 6-4 and looked extremely sharp. Check out Vamos David for news on the actual match itself along with more pictures and a great video summation.

This has been simply unreal how well he has played so far since he has returned. Unbelievable that he was on crutches just several months ago.
Baggy: 2010 Sydney Champion
Gulbis: 2010 Delray Beach Champion
Del Pony: 2009 U.S. Open Champion (Please come back! )
======================================

Last edited by Nolby : 12-21-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Nolby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote