MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Lukasz Kubot (POL)

View Single Post

Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #77
country flag Björki
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch

Björki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond reputeBjörki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lukasz Kubot (POL)

© Getty Images

Roddick Falls On Mixed Day For Finals Contenders
Beijing, China

by ATP Staff

Lukasz Kubot recorded his first win over a Top 10 player.

There were mixed fortunes at the China Open on Tuesday as Andy Roddick, who leads the battle to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at London in November, made an early exit.

Qualifier Lukasz Kubot recorded the biggest win of his career as he stunned defending champion and World No. 6 Roddick 6-2, 6-4. It was the Pole’s first victory over a Top 10 player (1-3 record).

"I think first and foremost is you try to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals." said Roddick. "That’s certainly a goal at the beginning of every year. I missed an opportunity this week, but you certainly want to get confirmed into that tournament sooner rather than later."

The No. 143-ranked Kubot took advantage of a below-par serving performance from Roddick – the American was limited to just five aces and won only 59 per cent of points behind his renowned first serve – to break serve five times from nine opportunities in the 81-minute match. Roddick captured the title last year with victory over Dudi Sela.

"I didn’t play well," lamented Roddick. "I don’t know if I was super prepared. It showed. I was trying stuff out there, and nothing seemed to be working too well." The American, who is through to the doubles quarter-finals with Mark Knowles, added: "I'll just try to practice here in doubles, so I’ll try to do as well as I can in that and actually use that as a tool to get prepared (for the the Shanghai ATP Masters 1000). I certainly need to put some time in."

The 27-year-old Roddick, who was contesting his first match since suffering a third-round exit at the US Open (l. to Isner), will next have the chance to qualify for the season finale at the Shanghai ATP Masters 1000, beginning Sunday.

Kubot, also 27, improved to an 8-5 mark on the season, highlighted by reaching his first ATP World Tour final as a qualifier at the inaugural Serbia Open 2009 (l. to Djokovic) in May. He next will face Croatian Ivan Ljubicic, who fired 22 aces as he battled past Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu 7-6(8), 4-6, 6-1 in two hours and 17 minutes.

Bryans || Djokovic || Paire || Chiudinelli || Nalbandian || Hanley || Rojer || Nadal
Söderling || Verdasco || Wawrinka || Simon || O. Rochus || Leo Mayer

Björkman || Arthurs || Edberg || Rafter || T.Johansson || M.Norman || Aspelin
Björki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote