MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Jordan Cox

Thread: Jordan Cox
View Single Post

Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jordan Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_s_m View Post
Good post (and thanks for the YouTube links btw). Sweeting and Evans both deserve one in my opinion if they have decent summers (they both bombed out of Winnetka in the first round so who knows). Same goes for Young, but probably a little more so since he literally has been terrible except for that one week. He's been doing well in Winnetka, though, so hopefully he'll pick it up. I would probably give one to Odesnik too unless he can boost his ranking and get direct entry. He's getting to be a little old, though, so he may be getting lower on the priority list.

One player who would have been completely out of the running until recently is Alex Kuznetsov. He's still young (22) and made a good run to a challenger final a couple months ago. He also just made the semis of Winnetka and has a good chance to go further. His ranking is still terrible (404), but that could improve quickly with a couple other good results. Obviously he has been absolutely terrible the past two years, but I have no problems with him getting a WC if he has a solid summer. I was able to see him against Almagro at the 2007 USO and although he lost I was still impressed. Unfortunately he has literally been miserable since then.

Cox, Britton, and Harrison should at least get qualy WC's. I'd give one to Domijan too.
Young lost to Smyczek in straight sets today. The hits just keep on coming. A couple good results can improve a player's chances in a hurry, but right now there's no way I'd give him a wild card.

I find it inconceivable that Britton won't get a main daw wild card. 99.9% chance he gets one. I'd put Harrison at 85% and Cox at 90% if he wins Sunday. Cox's mediocre record makes him less than a total lock even if he wins, but I still don't see the USTA denying the Junior Wimbledon champ a MD WC. Heck, Wimbledon has a history of giving MD WCs to the Junior Wimbledon champ regardless of nationality, and the USTA gives a qualifying WC to the previous year's Junior U.S. Open champ if it's a foreigner. Now, if he loses, he'll probably have to settle for a qualifying WC unless he backs this up with a couple more impressive results. Domijan will get a qualifying WC for sure, but he's also a threat to steal a main draw WC by winning Kalamazoo, especially if Britton doesn't play (and it sounds like he won't based on his comments in the interview). Winning a Futures event would put him in contention as well.

All other juniors will have to win Kalamazoo to have any chance of getting a MD WC.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote