MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Jordan Cox

Thread: Jordan Cox
View Single Post

Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jordan Cox

17-year-old Jordan Cox has reached the final of the Junior Wimbledon Championship, having defeated doubles partner Devin Britton 6-3, 6-7(5), 16-14 in the semifinals. That's right, 16-14. They showed match point on ESPN, and both players looked completely drained. There was no celebration. No fist pump. No scream. Not even a smile. Believe it or not, they are scheduled to play doubles later today.

Cox will face Russian Andrey Kuznetsov in the final after Kuznetsov upset Bernard Tomic. I don't know who to consider the favorite in that match. Kuznetsov has an ATP ranking in the 500s and is certainly more accomplished, but the surface might prefer Cox. Fortunately they have tomorrow off (I think).

This result makes Cox quite a puzzle. He had done very little in juniors until now, and has performed even worse in pro tournaments. His ITF ranking is 80. His career high ranking is 50. This could be a fluke. Perhaps he's finally coming into his own, or maybe he just thrives on grass. Then again, he lost 6-0, 6-1 in another grass court tournament last week. So what I'm saying is . . . I have no idea. There's a guy on the general board who watched is semifinal match who thinks he's promising. I have heard that he has some pop, so that's good.

If he wins this, he will have positioned himself for a men's U.S. Open wild card, which would be bad news for the veteran pros because I think Britton and Ryan Harrrison are highly likely to receive wild cards as well. Then add in the French and Australian wild cards. Then consider that another junior like Alex Domijan could win Kalamazoo and you could be down to as few as two wild cards for everyone else. That probably won't happen, but it could.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote