MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Groove Dude cheering thread

View Single Post

Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groove Dude cheering thread

4 hours on the court today

My forehand is really clicking. I played this guy who was pretty hit or miss, but when he hit, he was really striking it well. A Youzhny style game except much less consistent. I won 6-4, but I was really impressed with how solidly I played.

I recently got my rackets strung up at 55, when I usually have them around 60, so I'm still getting used to the extra power.

My backhand either sails long or lands deep, something I'm desperately trying to work on. My forehand is the basis of my game. Heavy spinners cross-court until the opponent gives me a short ball, of which I usually strike to the nearest corner deep and close the net. My net play though, leaves much to be desired My serve is ok, very kicky, 50-60% first serves and about 3 df's per set. It gets the point started, though, and once the rally is going on, I firmly believe I have the upper hand.

I weighed 178 about 3 months ago, and at 5'9'', thats a bit of weight to be luggin around. Due to a combination of being broke as fuck and playing for ridiculous hours in 95 degree Florida summer heat, I've lost 20+ pounds since March and I now weigh 154

I'm now faster around the court and my footwork is infinitely better. I can outlast the other guy in rallies if I need to, and I've always been mentally strong as a rock.

I still want to work more on my serve, to the point where it can be a fearsome weapon. My backhand still needs lots of work for that to also become a weapon, and solidifying my forehand is another area I'm working on. I'm getting better at recognizing spins from my opponent mid-shot and moving accordingly, so I'm striking the ball pretty cleanly. I need to do some abdominal workouts to strengthen my mid-section, as well as continue my work in the gym to get to my ideal playing weight of 165, similar to David Ferrer.

145 days until the tournament
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote