MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - More News

Thread: More News
View Single Post

Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 AM   #131
country flag Stephan

Stephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond reputeStephan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More News

Centre Court high: Agassi had famously shunned Wimbledon for three years because his rock 'n' roll style was at odds with the conservative nature of things at the All England Club. He returned in 1991 and the following year the 22-year-old, appearing in all white baggy shorts, bike pants and untucked shirt, reached the final where he survived 37 aces from Goran Ivanisevic to win his first, and only, Wiimbledon title 6-7(8), 6-4, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. "Last year changed how I felt about this event, in the sense that there is no tournament like it and there never will be," Agassi said at the time. "You can have a tournament anywhere in the world and it will never have the mystique of Wimbledon."
Andre in 1992

He says: "I am honoured to be invited by the All England Club to take part in this landmark occasion. I have great memories of playing at Wimbledon and to be amongst the first to play under the new Centre Court roof is really exciting."

Player profile: Andre Agassi

© Professional Sport
Career singles titles: 60 including eight Grand Slams

Wimbledon record: W46-L13

First Wimbledon: 1987 lost in first round to Henri Leconte 6-2, 6-1, 6-2

Best performance: Champion 1992

Last Wimbledon: 2006 lost in third round to Rafael Nadal 7-6, 6-2, 6-4

Andre Agassi began his professional tennis career in 1986 at the age of 16. His performance on the court earned him 60 career men's singles titles, including eight Grand Slam singles championships. Agassi is the only male player in the world to win all four Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold medal. Agassi retired from his tennis career following the U.S. Open in the summer of 2006. In 1994, Agassi founded the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation which is dedicated to transforming U.S. public education for underserved youth. Agassi is married to former tennis superstar Stefanie Graf, and the couple have two children.
Stephan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote