MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - °_° - Stan's news - °_°

View Single Post

Old 05-10-2009, 04:24 AM   #71
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond reputeschorsch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: °_° - Stan's news - °_°

http://www.blick.ch/people/schweiz/a...m-roger-118760

Quote:
"Everything revolves around Roger"

The Swiss tennis ace Stanislas Wawrinka (24) is the nr.13 in the world ranking, but nobody seems to care that much.

Blick met Stan at the Niederdorf (shopping street in Zurich) and talked with him about his life on the tennis circuit.

Stan Wawrinka, how is it possible that you can walk around Zurich nearly unnoticed despite your big tennis results?
SW: A win in the QF or SF of a big tournament isn't that interesting for most people.

But tennis is more popular than ever in Switzerland...
SW: Yes, but only because Roger Federer has been winning pretty much everything the past 4 or 5 years, so winning tournaments is being taken for granted now.

Does that bother you?
SW: I just think it's a pity. One doesn't see the big accomplishments of a player anymore. We don't have that many top player in Switzerland, so the support of the crowd is even more important. But everything revolves only around Roger! What the others doesn't have a significance anymore for most people. Everyone thinks it's so easy to win, because Roger has always been winning. You can't even imagine how difficulut it is to even be a top50 player.

Do you feel left in the shadow compared to Roger Federer?
SW: I don't care about getting headlines in newspapers. I am happy with my life and I have the privilege to do what I love most: to play tennis. Roger is a good friend of mine and I don't blame him at all. It's just the Swiss's' attitude that bothers me.

If Switzerland didn't have Roger Federer you'd be a star.
SW: (laughs) Yes, maybe. But my goal is to perform to the best of my abilities. This is the only thing that matters!

Last edited by schorsch : 05-10-2009 at 01:10 PM.
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote