MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Asia/Oceania Group I 3rd Round: Australia at India (May 8-10, 2009)

View Single Post

Old 04-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
country flag Rae777

Rae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond reputeRae777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asia/Oceania Group I 3rd Round: Australia at India (May 8-10, 2009)

Aussie Tennis Team Pulls Out Of India Trip

8 hours 35 mins ago
SkyNews © Sky News 2009

Australia's tennis team has said it will not play the upcoming Davis Cup tie in India due to security concerns.

Team Australia said it would be "irresponsible of us to send our players into an area of such high risk".

The International Tennis Federation has instructed the team it must play the match in Chennai, despite its safety fears.

The ITF said they were satisfied with the security conditions in the Indian city.

Australia had appealed against the decision to play the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I third round tie there from May 8-10.

"We asked for the tie to be moved because we have major security concerns for the players, particularly during the (Indian) election," Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard said in a statement.

"The ITF decision has left us with no other option. We cannot send the team. It is extremely disappointing.

"Davis Cup is very important to us but some things are more important than tennis," Mr Pollard said.

The Australian team, which includes former Wimbledon winner Lleyton Hewitt, risks a one-year suspension from the competition.
Rae777 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote