MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Asia/Oceania Group I 3rd Round: Australia at India (May 8-10, 2009)

View Single Post

Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
country flag Labamba

Labamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond reputeLabamba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asia/Oceania Group I 3rd Round: Australia at India (May 8-10, 2009)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8006663.stm

Quote:
Australia seek Davis Cup switch

Tennis Australia are to appeal to the sport's governing body over its decision to allow their Davis Cup tie against India to played in Chennai.

The International Tennis Federation has cleared the third-round match in Asia-Oceania group one to go ahead in the southern city on 8-10 May.

But Tennis Australia has security concerns following March's attack on the Sri Lanka cricket team in Pakistan.

"We will be lodging an official appeal on Monday," said a spokesman.

"It will be on the grounds of security concerns for our team."

The ITF released a statement on Friday approving Chennai as a suitable venue, while the All India Tennis Association also said it was confident the tie would go ahead.

"There is no need to shift it," said the statement from the All India Tennis Association.

"The International Tennis Federation wrote to us about Australia's security concerns and we've sent a reply."

Australia's former world number one Lleyton Hewitt is awaiting the outcome of the appeal before deciding whether or not to play.

The attack in Lahore in March wounded seven Sri Lankan cricketers, while six policemen and a driver were killed.

Following the attacks a decision was made to move the Indian Premier League Twenty20 cricket tournament to South Africa.
Labamba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote