MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - interview with David

View Single Post

Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
country flag krystlel

krystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond reputekrystlel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: interview with David

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl91 View Post
I want to say that too, but I think there is something else that is claiming his attention at the present time(not outside stuff like rally racing). I don't know what that is, but it will come out soon enough.
It sounds like the article that chabela posted reveals more (though I'm not sure if it addresses what I mentioned earlier), but I can't really make out some of it. I tried with some parts, while others were more difficult.

About his ranking...
"The ranking does not worry me. I never gave it much importance, although the higher you are, the better. But for seven years, I was in the top ten or within the top 12 or 13 and that's commendable. With results, the ranking will come."

David wants to concentrate on his tennis, and how well he does. To erase the image of the last quarter, where he only made the news for non-sporting reasons. For his alleged fight with Juan Martin del Potro in the Davis Cup final. For not paying a toll on a route in Cordoba, for dancing in the Carnival and for a virus that had affected him for weeks. He wants to talk about tennis because that is where he feels more comfortable and confident.

What the press says about him
"I have no problem with the press if they are speaking the truth and are being critical on what actually happens. It's understandable because I'm a public figure and in the news all the time. But I would like to be spoken of in terms of what I do, and not based on assumptions. For example, the toll was a joke between me and my friends that went wrong."

About his career...
"It's true that you lose part of your adolescence, but putting it in balance, you have many more pros than cons. If I turned around and had to choose again between a different life and having this life, I would choose this life. On the pro tour, things grow and change quickly. At 15-16 years, tennis is already like work, a source of income, you see your money and that you're building a future. If you were a normal boy growing up, you would still be finding ways to have fun and studying. I already had responsibilities and other things."

Your success was a magnet for people to seek returns. How difficult is it to be surrounded by people you trust?
It is difficult leaning on people and not knowing their intent. In the end, I was very skeptical at first. But in the end, I believe that family and friends are the containment of any athlete or famous person, the rest you never know what their intentions are until you know them.

Working with Luis Lobo....
There will be a change in the routine of work, aimed at improving his physical condition in long matches. On the court, everything (i.e. physical condition) is revealed and it's not possible to be on top of your game for that long if you're in a bad state, physically, he says to dismiss those that suggest that he should lose a couple of kilos.

Do you feel that your talent allows you the luxury of doing things that other players could not do? Running rallies or doing bungee jumping ...
No, because one thing does not remove the other. Any athlete gets a Friday or a Saturday night to have fun. And it's not that I go out more or less than the rest. I think that is totally independent of talent, effort, everything. It is a moment of fun that everyone has all over the world, until a guy who is in a office needs to wake up ...

Your profile of loving the speed and adrenaline is slightly at odds with the personality of an average tennis player. How do you balance the two?
It is the personality of each person. Ferrero is a lot like me: likes cars, go-karting all day, and threw himself into a parachute ... There are others that do not like to do anything except stay at home sitting watching TV. There are different personalities, ways of grounding yourself. And I like the rally car race, the adrenaline ... and I enjoy whenever I can.

It's like a way of recharging your batteries in order to return to the circuit. I'm now touring right now but I will have a quiet weeks in July. So it's very hard, and there are couple of days you want to do what you want. And if winter comes and I want to go skiing, I will go and if I want to stay in my house, I stay, and if I get into a race car, I'm going to do it. They are like vacations from work. Although at one point, this is worse labour having to travel too much, spend a week in a different hotel in a different country, with changes of time ... It is not easy.

It sounds very tiring. When will you say you've had enough of it?
When I do not have anything left to give. While my physicist has helped me to not have major injuries, I will continue because it is a beautiful sport that has given me a lot ... I am not going to leave that easy.

Some say that there are some benefits to players marrying and having children early ... What do you think about the topic?
I think it's the reverse. I believe that when travelling it is very difficult to have a family. I do not see too many players that are married, with children, travelling the circuit. They can be counted on the fingers of one hand. It's complicated. Some try to do it, but when their first child is born it becomes an uphill battle. I think it's best to have balance in every way.

Last edited by krystlel : 03-28-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Corrected translation
krystlel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote