MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Davis Cup thread

View Single Post

Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
country flag bluequeda

bluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond reputebluequeda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Davis Cup thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bunny* View Post
I suspect many of the spectators who will be there don't even know how the DC works, like that Kei doesn't play doubles or that if Japan wins three rubbers by Saturday, Kei, the No.1 player of the country, won't play on Sunday under normal circumstances. I think he will play even the dead rubber this time just for the sake of the crowd and he probably wants to play in front of the home fans. Playing two five setters against a lesser opponent shouldn't be a problem for him physically, too. But I hope in the future there will be mutual understanding between the fans and the organisers that Kei may not play a dead rubber.

I say this because I've learned from some coverage of Kei's press conference that the reason he had MR scans on his arm was that the pain actually got worse about two weeks ago and at one point he thought about withdrawing from the tie. Fortunately, it got better so he decided to play, but I'm a bit worried about this whole situation that this injury, which turned out to be tendonitis, doesn't seem to go away, and I know that for tendonitis resting is the best way to deal with it.
I'm a bit surprised that he hadn't had an MR scan earlier and a little disappointed in his physical training staff.
Thanks for the report bunny!
That does sound worrying. I hope Kei came to the decision under sound advice and didn't 'force' himself to play because he didn't want to let the team and fans down. Much as I love the Davis Cup, it still comes second after players' health.
bluequeda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote