MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Tennis Tipping Rules & Questions

View Single Post

Old 02-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
country flag keqtqiadv

keqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond reputekeqtqiadv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

3. The event begins: Draws, OOP, Picks

3.1 Draws

3.1.1 Draw size

- Tennis Tipping follows the same draw sizes as the ATP, with the exception of byes, which are not used in TT:
a) ATP 28 or 32 player draw (Challengers, most of the ATP 250 & 500 Tournaments):
o Singles -> 32-player main draw & 16-player qualifying draw
o Doubles -> 16-team main draw & 8-team qualifying draw.
b) ATP 48, 56 or 64 player draw (some ATP 250 & 500 Tournaments, most of the ATP Masters 1000):
o Singles -> 64-player main draw & 32-player qualifying draw
o Doubles -> 32-team main draw & 16-team qualifying draw.
c) ATP 96 player draw (Indian Wells & Miami):
o Singles -> 128-player main draw & 64-player qualifying draw
o Doubles -> 64-team main draw & 32-team qualifying draw.
d) 128 player draw (Grand Slams):
o Singles -> 128-player main draw & 128-player qualifying draw
o Doubles -> 64-team main draw & 64-team qualifying draw.
- In special occasions, the size of the qualifying draw can be increased in order to give all the players a chance to play.
- If there are less than two players in the qualifying list for each qualifying spot of the Main Draw, the tournament will have a custom qualifying draw which will give less spots to the Main Draw, as follows (examples for 32-player events):
a) 32 players: all players are directly qualified to the MD; no qualifying is played.
b) 33 players: 31 players are directly qualified to the MD; the remaining two players play a 1-match qualifying round.
c) 34 players: 30 players are directly qualified to the MD; the remaining 4 players play a 2-match qualifying round.
d) 35 players: 29 players are directly qualified to the MD; the remaining 6 players play a 3-match qualifying round.

3.1.2 Minimum draw size

- The main draws of a Tennis Tipping event must have at least 16 singles players or 8 doubles teams for the tournament to be run.
- If the minimum number of players or teams isn't reached until 2nd the deadline, the players can then move to other tournaments being held in the same week without being marked as late entries.

3.1.3 Seeds

- Seeds are players or teams who are given preferential positions in the draw based on the TT rankings (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament).
- Number of seeds:
a) Main Draw:
o 16 players - 4 seeds
o 32 Players - 8 seeds
o 64 Players - 16 seeds
o 128 players - 32 seeds
b) Qualifying (always two seeds for each MD spot):
o 4 Q draw (2 MD spots) - 4 seeds
o 8 Q draw (2 MD spots) - 4 seeds
o 16 Q draw (2 MD spots) - 4 seeds
o 16 Q draw (4 MD spots) - 8 seeds
o 32 Q draw (4 MD spots) - 8 seeds
o 32 Q draw (8 MD spots) - 16 seeds
o 64 Q draw (16 MD spots) - 32 seeds
o 128 Q draw (16 MD spots) - 32 seeds
- The placement of the seeds can be found here.
- Players who are Late Entries or Special Exempts can be seeded.
- Protected Ranking is not used to define the seeding order.
- Top 30 singles players are not able to be seeded in challengers.
- Qualifiers & Lucky Losers can be seeded if the Main Draw is released after the qualifying is over, but the tournament managers don’t have to wait for the qualifying to be played to post the Main Draw.

3.1.4 Byes

- If there are not enough players to fill a draw (Qualifying or Main Draw), byes should be awarded to the highest seeds.
- If there are still remaining byes, they should be awarded to the highest ranked unseeded players (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament).

3.1.5 Lucky Losers (LL)

- Lucky Losers are players who lose in the final round of the qualifying event (or if more lucky losers are required, those players who lose the previous qualifying rounds) but still get to play the Main Draw of the tournament, replacing a player who doesn’t send picks on the first day of competition.
- The Lucky Loser order is determined by the following (for more information, check the TB rules):
a. Amount of correct picks (Qualifying Final Round)
b. Amount of correct SR's (Qualifying Final Round)
c. SR shootout (Qualifying Final Round)
d. PTS (Qualifying Final Round)
e. Amount of correct picks (2nd round if played)
f. Amount of correct SRs (2nd round if played)
g. SR shootout (2nd round if played)
h. PTS (2nd round if played)
i. Amount of correct picks (1st round)
j. Amount of correct SRs (1st round)
k. SR shootout (1st round)
l. PTS 1 (1st round)
m. PTS 2 (1st round)
n. PTS 3, PTS 4, …., PTS X-1 (1st round)
o. PTS X-1 (1st round – last match of the OOP)
p. GD (Qualifying Final Round)
q. GD (2nd round if played)
r. GD 1 (1st round)
s. GD 2 (1st round)
t. GD 3, GD 4, …., GD X-1 (1st round)
u. GD X (1st round - last match of the OOP)
v. Ranking

3.1.6 Alternates/Lucky Losers replacements

- Lucky loser and alternates replacements only happen in first rounds (Main Draw or Qualifying). There’s an exception to this rule (Rule 3.1.7).
- For the purpose of alternates/lucky loser replacements, a player who forgets to send their picks on the first day of competition (qualifying or main draw) will be considered a missing player.
- For the purpose of alternates/lucky loser replacements, a team will be considered missing in doubles if one of its players forgets to send their picks on the first day of competition (qualifying or main draw).
- Alternates and Lucky Losers must send picks to be eligible to replace a missing player. In doubles, both players of an alternate/lucky loser team must send picks.
- An Alternate will take the spot of a missing player in the Qualifying Draw.
- An Alternate will take the spot of a missing player in the Main Draw if no qualifying was played.
- A Lucky Loser will take the spot of a missing player in the Main Draw if the qualifying event was played.
- An Alternate will take the Main Draw spot of a player who withdraws from the tournament after the qualifying draw is made but before the qualifying competition starts. In this case, the first player in the qualifying list will be the Main Draw alternate.
- A Lucky Loser will take the Main Draw spot of a player who withdraws from the tournament after the qualifying competition starts.
- Lucky losers or alternates will not replace a player who sends picks on the first day of a two-day first round but forgets to send picks on the second day.

3.1.7 Round 1 exception - Lucky Losers

- When both players or teams in a first round match fail to send picks and there are no alternates or lucky losers to replace one of them, the loser with the best score in this round will take their spot in the following round as a lucky loser.
- When the first and the second rounds are played on the same day, the loser with the best score in the first round will take the spot of a player or team that receives a bye from the first to the second round but fails to send picks on that day.
- This exception applies to both the qualifying event and the Main Draw.

3.1.8 Placing Alternates/Lucky Losers in the draw

- For the purpose of Alternates/Lucky Losers placement, every missing player will be treated as a bye.
- Alternates and Lucky Losers should be randomly placed in the draw.
- Alternates and Lucky Losers mustn’t receive byes unless all the players who are directly accepted into the draw also receive a free pass to the following round.
- If there are more missing players than available replacements, the spots where to place the alternates/lucky losers should be decided as follows:
a. One spot in matches where neither player has sent picks.
b. Against the lowest ranked player whose opponent hasn’t sent picks (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament)
- After the steps above, if there are any alternates/lucky losers placed against a player who hasn’t sent picks, the draw should be adjusted in order to give the byes to the best ranked players who have been directly accepted into the draw (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament). In this case, the opponents of these players should be slotted to play against the alternates/lucky losers.
- Examples of Alternates/Lucky Loser placements can be found here.

3.2 Order of Play

3.2.1 Tournament Schedule

- Tennis Tipping tournaments start on Monday (even if there are Main Draw matches played on Sunday), except for the following events:
a) Roland Garros: Sunday start (1st day of MD play).
b) The 64-player event which precedes the US Open (currently played in Winston-Salem): Sunday start (1st day of MD play – both rounds of qualifying should be played on Saturday).
c) Indian Wells: Thursday start (1st day of MD play).
d) Miami: Wednesday start (1st day of MD play).
e) Challengers which start on Tuesday: manager’s choice, depending on the number of qualifying rounds played.
- The standard schedules of the Tennis Tipping tournaments can be found here.
- Depending on the number of matches played on Monday, the manager can decide to add some of the Tuesday’s matches to the singles first round.
- The use of qualifying matches played on Monday (first day of MD play) is a manager’s decision.
- Qualifying matches played on Monday will count for the Main Draw play, unless the manager says otherwise.
- If play is suspended due to rain or darkness, the postponed matches will still count for the previous day’s round. These matches will not be used for the following day’s round.

3.2.2 Order of Play

- The order of play is the list of matches scheduled to be played on the following day.
- The order of play will be posted in the tournament thread, together with the following instructions:
a) The deadline after which no picks will be accepted.
b) The username of the person to whom the picks should be sent.
c) Instructions on how to send picks (up to the manager).
d) Any other information managers may want to provide.
- The deadline is usually taken from the official order of play and set at the time when the first match is scheduled to begin.
- Managers may occasionally set an earlier deadline if their personal circumstances require it and plenty of warning is given, attempting to give a window of at least 12 hours for the players to send picks.

3.3 Picks

3.3.1 Instructions on how to send picks

- Picks must be sent via Private Messages (PM), according to the manager’s instructions.
- The desired format of the picks usually is as follows:
a) The picks should be sent in the same order the matches are disposed in the Order of Play.
b) Only the last name of the winner should be sent (nationalities, first names, seeding should be erased).
c) The names of the players should be spelled correctly.
d) Picks of matches marked as SR (Set-Ratio matches) should be followed by a prediction of the score of the match in sets.
e) Picks of matches marked as PTS (Predict-the-Score) should be followed by a prediction of the score of the match in games.
f) Examples can be found here.
- The same set of picks count for singles and doubles.
- Picks must be sent by the player themselves. Players are not allowed to send picks for another username.
- The use of the manager’s e-mail address (published on the first page of the tournament thread) should be restricted to situations of MTF’s malfunction. Picks sent via e-mail will still be accepted, but it’s highly recommended to send picks by PM.
- Players are allowed to change picks at any time until the deadline.
- Players are not allowed to send a particular pick they’ve missed after the deadline has passed.
- Players should send picks even if they have a bye in the first round (for Count-Back purposes – more information here)

3.3.2 Possible problems

- Picks sent after the deadline will not be accepted, even if a point hasn’t been played.
- Picks must be sent to the correct manager, as instructed in the Order of Play. Picks sent to the wrong person will not be accepted, even if they’re sent to the person who posted the Order of Play.
- In case of missing players:
a) First round: the missing player will be replaced by an alternate or lucky loser.
b) Second round onwards or if there are no alternates/lucky losers available (one-day round): the opposing player will be given a walkover.
c) Second round onwards or if there are no alternates/lucky losers available (two-day round): walkovers will not be awarded if the missing player sends picks on one of the two days.
- In case of matches where neither player sends picks:
a) First round & alternates/lucky losers available: check Rule 3.1.8.
b) First round & no alternates/lucky losers available: check Rule 3.1.7.
c) Second round onwards: the winner will be decided by the TB rules.
- If one of the players of a doubles team forgets to send picks and there are no alternates or lucky losers to replace them, a walkover isn’t awarded to the opposing team. The missing player gets 0 points, but the score of the other player still counts.

3.3.3 Sending picks incorrectly

- Tournament threads must have instructions on how to send picks correctly.
- Picks sent incorrectly can be punished as follows:
a) First infraction: a warning (manager should send a PM to the player)
b) Second infraction: a point penalty.
c) Third infraction: disqualification.
- No punishment is applied if the picks are sent before the OOP is posted
- The imposition of the punishments is up to the tournament manager.

3.4 FAQ
Code:
1) I’m high ranked, but missed the first deadline. I managed to get into the qualifying draw. If I had entered the tournament directly, I’d have been a seeded player. Can I still be seeded if I qualify? Must the manager wait to post the main draw?
You can still be seeded if the manager decides to post the Main Draw after the qualifying spots are decided. But he doesn’t have to wait to post the draw.

2) I lost my first round match. Should I send picks for the second round to take a potential lucky loser spot in case someone forgets to send picks?
No. Missing players can’t be replaced by lucky losers after the first round, so unless you’re playing doubles there’s no need for you to send picks.
There’s one exception to this rule (if there are two missing players in a R1 match but no alternates/lucky losers to replace them), but the player who gets the lucky loser spot is known as soon as the R1 matches are finished.

3) Two players (who were not assigned to play each other) didn’t sent picks, but there was only one alternate available to replace them. After the replacement, the player who received the bye wasn’t even seeded.  Should the draw be adjusted so that the #1 seed gets the bye instead?
No. The draw should only be rearranged to prevent alternates/lucky losers from receiving byes.

4) I can’t wait for the manager to post the OOP. What should I do?
Players don’t necessarily have to wait for the manager to send their picks. But if you can actually wait for the OOP to be posted, you should do so and send pick in the correct order (which helps the manager a lot).

5) I forgot to send my picks, but the whole round was postponed to the next day due to rain. No lucky losers replaced me in the draw. Am I still able to play?
No. No picks can be accepted after the deadline, which doesn't change because of rain, darkness or any other events which may change the time the first match starts.

6) I didn't read the instructions and sent the picks to the wrong person. Will my picks be accepted?
No. Players must read the instructions and send picks to the correct manager. The person who posts the OOP isn't necessarily the person who will be managing the tournament. And the tournament manager may ask for someone else to take over the event on a given day.

7) I forgot to send my picks. It wasn't a first round, so I wasn't replaced in the draw. My opponent didn't predict any correct winner, didn't score any SR, didn't have any advantage in the SR Shootout and scored 0 points in the PTS match. I have the CB advantage. Shouldn't I be the winner of the match?
No, in this case your opponent is given a walkover.

8) I sent the picks in the wrong order and made some spelling mistakes. Am I automatically punished?
  No, it's up to the managers whether to impose these penalties (and they probably won’t). What you must understand is that managing tournaments consumes time, and picks sent incorrectly make the manager's job even harder.

Last edited by keqtqiadv : 01-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
keqtqiadv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote