MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Tennis Tipping Rules & Questions

View Single Post

Old 02-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
country flag Tytta!.
(:

Tytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond reputeTytta!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

2. Event preparations

2.1 Commitments

2.1.1 Tournament thread

-Tournament threads should be posted on Friday (two weeks before the start of the tournament).

2.1.2 Number of participants

- Singles:
a) ATP 28 or 32 player draw: 32 player draw -> 28 direct entries (1 or 2 special exempt spots if applied), 4 qualy spots (16 player qualy draw, 32 in special occasions)
b) ATP 48, 56 or 64 player draw: 64 player draw -> 56 direct entries (1 or 2 special exempt spots if applied), 8 qualy spots (32 player qualy draw)
c) ATP 96 or 128 player draw: 128 player draw -> 112 direct entries, 16 qualy spots (64 player qualy draw, 128 in Grand Slams)
- Doubles:
a) ATP 28 or 32 player draw: 16 team draw -> 14 direct entries, 2 qualy spots (8 team qualy draw, 16 in special occasions)
b) ATP 48, 56 or 64 player draw: 32 team draw -> 28 direct entries, 4 qualy spots (16 team qualy draw)
c) ATP 96 or 128 player draw: 64 team draw -> 56 direct entries, 8 qualy spots (32 team qualy draw, 64 in Grand Slams)
- In special occasions, the number of participants can be increased in order to give all the players a chance to play.

2.1.3 Singles commitments Ė basic rules

- The post of the commitment must be clear and made by the player themselves.
- Players mustnít commit to two different tournaments in the same week.
- Players mustnít delete a commitment post.
- Entries will be based on the TT Singles Rankings (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament).
- Unranked players will be listed in order of commitment.
- Players who are banned from MTF will not be allowed to play TT.

2.1.4 Singles commitments Ė deadlines

- Players have 10 days (from Friday till Sunday) to commit to the singles tournament (the first entry deadline is always Sunday 6 PM current time in Europe - CET or CEST - except for Grand Slams, which need a suitable deadline for their different schedules).
- The Friday before the start of the event is the final deadline (the exact time is up to the manager) for changes and late registrations.
- The final deadline can be extended if there are still spots available in the Main Draw or if the tournamentís qualifying starts on Sunday.
- Players who commit to the tournament after the first deadline and before the final deadline will be registered as Late Entries (LE) and placed on the bottom of the entry list, ordered by ranking.
- Players who commit to the tournament after the final deadline and before the start of the qualifying (or the main draw if no qualifying is played) will be registered as alternates and placed on the bottom of the alternates list, ordered by commitment time.

2.1.5 Changing tournaments

- Players are allowed to change the tournaments (only once). They must withdraw from the tournament theyíve previously entered before being accepted in the entry list of another tournament.
- Players who change tournaments will be registered as late entries (LE) and placed on the bottom of the entry list, ordered by ranking.
- Any changes must be made before the qualifying draws are posted.

2.1.6 Double commitment

- Players are only allowed to commit to one tournament per week.
- If a player commits to two different tournaments in the same week, the first commitment prevails.
- If the double commitment is not noticed by the managers, points gained by the player in any of the two tournaments will not be considered.
- If the infraction is noticed before the tournaments start, only the first commitment will be valid and no punishment is applied.
- Players are allowed to commit to Challengers during Grand Slams first weeks as well as to enter the Grand Slam qualifying event. Players who lose in the Grand Slamís qualifying are then able to play the challenger.

2.1.7 Doubles commitments Ė basic rules

- The post of the commitment must be clear and made by one of the player of the team.
- A single entry post by one of the members of a doubles team is enough to commit the whole team to the doubles competition.
- Entries will be based on the combined TT Doubles Rankings of each member of the doubles team (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament).
- Unranked teams will be listed in order of commitment.

2.1.8 Doubles commitments Ė deadlines

- Players have two weeks (from the Friday when the thread is opened until the Friday before the start of the tournament) to commit to the doubles tournament. The deadline is the same as the final deadline for singles commitments.
- The final deadline can be extended if there are still spots available in the Main Draw or if the tournamentís qualifying starts on Sunday.
- There arenít Late Entries in doubles.
- Teams who commit to the tournament after the final deadline and before the start of the qualifying (or the main draw if no qualifying is played) will be registered as alternates and placed on the bottom of the alternates list, ordered by commitment time.

2.1.9 Challengers/Futures - Entry restrictions

- Top 30 players in singles are not allowed to play challengers, except during the Davis Cup weeks, the second weeks of Grand Slams or two-week Masters events and when there are no other tournaments (ATP 250 or better) played.
- In these weeks, top 30 players are allowed to play challengers, but they must be registered as Late Entries and are not able to be seeded (qualifying or Main Draw).

2.2 Entry list

2.2.1 Basic rules

- The Entry List is composed of:
a) Direct acceptances: players who are directly accepted into the Main Draw.
b) Qualifying list: players who are directly accepted into the Qualifying Draw.
c) Alternates list: players who donít make the Qualifying Draw. Alternates are still able to play if there are players who forget to send picks on the first day of qualifying (or main draw if there is no qualifying).
- Entries are ordered by the TT Rankings (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament).
- In doubles, the combined positions of each player are added together and the total is used to determine the entry order.
- Unranked players should be listed in order of commitment.
- Late entries should be placed on the bottom of the entry list (after the unranked players), ordered by ranking.
- Players who commit after the final deadline should be placed on the bottom of the alternates list, ordered by commitment time.
- If thereís a tie in the singles list, the players should be ordered by commitment time.
- If thereís a tie in the doubles list, the teams should be ordered by the sum of ranking points of each player. If the sum of points is the same, the tie should be broken by the individual doubles ranking of the best player of each team.

2.2.2 Protected Ranking (PR)

- Players who are absent from TT for at least 3 months are eligible to apply for a Protected Ranking.
- The Protected Ranking is the average ranking of the first 6 weeks of the playerís absence.
- Players must ask for a Protected Ranking in the PR thread before they commit to any tournaments.
- After being inactive for 18 months or more, the player is no longer eligible to apply for a Protected Ranking.
- The number of Protected Rankings depend on the length of the absence:
a) 3 months out = 3 PR
b) 4 months out = 4 PR
c) 5 months out = 5 PR
d) 6 or more months out = 6 PR
- Protected rankings apply to singles and doubles (thereís a separate PR for each of the competitions).
- Players must inform the tournament manager whether they will use a PR before the first deadline (or the final deadline, if LE). If the player gets a direct acceptance to the tournament with their current position in the entry rankings, the PR is not used.
- Protected Rankings canít be used for seedings.
- In case of a tie, a player using a PR will be placed below a player using the regular ranking in the entry list.

2.2.3 Special Exempts (SE)

- Players may receive a Special Exempt into the Main Draw of the following weekís tournament if they reachthesingles final of the previous weekís tournament and meet one of the following criteria:
a) A qualified event for Special Exempt to an ATP Masters 1000 is the singles event of another ATP Masters 1000 or an ATP 500 Tournament.
b) A qualified event for Special Exempt to an ATP 500 Tournament is the singles event of another ATP 500 Tournament or an ATP Masters 1000.
c) A qualified event for Special Exempt to an ATP 250 Tournament is the singles event of any ATP 250 or 500 Tournament, ATP Masters 1000 or Grand Slam.
d) A qualified event for Special Exempt to a Challenger is the singles event of any Grand Slam, ATP tournament or Challenger.
- Players must apply for the SE spots before the final deadline.
- If Fridayís play is postponed to Saturday, players whoíre still alive in the singles tournament are eligible to receive SE spots of an event in the following week, even if they donít reach the tournament final.
- Any player in the qualifying or alternates list is eligible to receive a SE, even if the player is a LE.
- If there are more players than available spots for Special Exempts, the players will be selected according to the TT rankings (rankings from two weeks before the start of the tournament).
- Top 30 players arenít eligible to get Special Exempts into challengers.
- Number of special exempts per tournament:
a) ATP Masters 1000 & ATP 500 Tournaments: one Special Exempt
b) ATP 250 Tournaments & Challengers: two Special Exempts
- If no players meet the SE criteria or apply for the spots, the first player(s) on the qualifying entry list should be promoted from the qualifying draw to the main draw.

2.2.4 Challengers & Grand Slams

- Players are allowed to commit to both a Grand Slam and a challenger played in the first (week #1 challenger) or the second week (week #2 challenger) of the same Grand Slam.
- Players who make the main draw of the Grand Slam (singles or doubles) should be removed from the entry list of the week #1 challenger.
- Players who decide to send picks as potential Lucky Losers on the first day of the Grand Slam's main draw should be removed from the entry list of the week #1 challenger.
- Players who reach the Grand Slam R16 (Singles 4th Round or Doubles 3rd Round) should be removed from the entry list of the week #2 challenger.

2.2.5 Challengers & Indian Wells/Miami

- Players are allowed to commit to both Indian Wells/Miami and a challenger played in the second week (week #2 challenger) of the same ATP Masters 1000 event.
- Players who are still playing the ATP Masters 1000 by Saturday should be removed from the entry list of the week #2 challenger.

2.3 FAQ

Code:
1) Arenít players able to commit another player for singles?
Not anymore. This rule was changed in the 2012-2013 off-season.

2) Am I allowed to change tournaments after the second deadline?
Yes if the draws havenít been posted yet. Once the draws are posted, itís no longer possible to withdraw from a tournament. Alternates can still be added to the bottom of the list.

3) I  was an alternate for tournament A but didnít make the qualifying draw.  Then I realized tournament B still had Main Draw spots available. Am I  allowed to play there?
No. Players are only allowed to play one tournament per week. Alternates arenít allowed to play anywhere else that week even if they didnít make it to the draw.

4) My partner has already committed my doubles team to the tournament. Do I need to confirm the commitment in the thread?
No. Your partnerís commit is enough to confirm the teamís entry.

5)  Iíve entered the Tournament A, played in week X, and the Tournament B,  played in the following week (X+1). If I make the Tournament A final but  donít enter the Tournament B main draw directly, do I have to withdraw  from the Tournament B qualifying to be able to play the Tournament A  final?
No. Since the tournaments are played in different weeks, youíre allowed to play both the final of Tournament A and the qualifying of tournament B.

6) I  chose to use my PR to get into a tournament, but it turns out I would  have entered the main draw with my regular ranking. Was my PR used or do  I get to use it somewhere else?
You get to  use it somewhere else. Your PR is only used if your current ranking  isnít high enough to get you a place in the main draw.

7)  Iíve reached the doubles final of Tournament A. Am I eligible to request  a SE into the doubles main draw of Tournament B, to be played in the  following week?
No. Special Exempts are exclusive to singles.

8) I  still havenít played the singles SF of Tournament A on Friday, but Iím  interested in a potential SE spot in Tournament B, played in the  following week. How should I proceed?
You must  request the SE spot in the Tournament B thread, even if your match  hasnít been decided yet. You donít necessarily have to wait until the  last moment to post your request. Just make sure you do it before the final deadline.

9) How should managers proceed if the potential SE players are yet to play their matches on Friday?
If the main  draw is to be made before a potential Special Exempt player plays on  Friday, then such place(s) shall be drawn in the same manner as  qualifier, i.e., four qualifiers ("Q") and one or two "SE". Each of the  five or six slots are marked "Q/SE." As soon as the "SE" match results  are known, either the "SE" or the next Direct Acceptance (if the SE  lost) is randomly drawn and inserted into the draw.

11) I  committed to a Grand Slam, but didnít make the Main Draw. Do I have to  withdraw from the tournament Iíll play in the week before the GS to be  able to play the GS qualifying? And what if I reach the final of a  tournament and donít get a SE spot, do I have to withdraw from the  qualifying of the tournament played in the following week?
The answer is Ďnoí to both questions. You can play both tournaments, as theyíre tournaments from different calendar weeks.

12) I  lost my Grand Slam match on Saturday. The week #2 challenger I chose to  play only starts its qualifying on Sunday and main draw on Tuesday. Am I  able to play the challenger? Wasnít there a rule that said ĎR16 Ė out  of Qualifyingí & ĎQF Ė out of MDí?
Sorry, youíre not able  to play the challenger. This rule is no longer valid. If you reach the  GS R16 (4th round Singles/3rd round Doubles), youíre automatically  removed from the challengerís entry list. Grand Slamsí R16 are usually  played on Friday & Saturday, except for the US Open (played on  Saturday & Sunday).

13) What happens if a player is banned from MTF? Would they still be able to play TT?
If the suspension doesnít end until the start of a TT event, the banned player will be removed from the tournament.
If the  suspension happens after the start of a TT event, picks sent before the  ban starts running will still count. Picks for the following rounds will  not be accepted until the suspension is ended.

Last edited by Tytta!. : 12-16-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Tytta!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote