MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Shots you DON'T have in your arsenal

View Single Post

Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
country flag Bernard Black

Bernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond reputeBernard Black has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shots you DON'T have in your arsenal

Yeah, a bit of a negative thread I know, but perhaps we can help each other out with our weaknesses.

I'm very happy with my game all round at the moment. Serve's working, I'm rallying well and the volleys are being put away. I'm on a nice winning streak too so confidence is high.

One shot I'm having real difficulty with though, and to be honest, I always have, is the short ball to my backhand side say landing around the service line. I have a tactic of hitting the deep slice down the line or the short, knifed slice cross court and coming in off it. I really wish I could just open up the shoulders and put those balls away - but if I do try they are tending to go 10 feet long or into the bottom of the net. Very frustrating! Bizarrely, if I'm put on the back foot I hit a great running backhand passing shot so I think it really must be a mental thing of the short ball being too much of an "easy" shot that I have too much time to think about it and then the doubts creep in and cause hesitation.

Anyone else have any weaknesses? If so, how do you cope under pressure when the opponent is attempting to exploit it?
Bernard Black is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote