MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Monday OOP/Revised Draw/Scores and Results

View Single Post

Old 08-23-2004, 03:55 AM   #2
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monday OOP/Revised Draw/Scores and Results

Agassi withdraws from Hamlet

BY JEFF WILLIAMS
STAFF WRITER

August 23, 2004

Despite a contribution to his foundation and an appearance fee guarantee, Andre Agassi yesterday told the TD Waterhouse Cup that he was too fatigued to play in this year's tournament. Agassi called the tournament office yesterday morning and withdrew, telling officials that because he had won in Cincinnati, then followed up this weekend with a semifinal finish in Washington, he was feeling too tired and needed the week off before the U.S. Open.

His withdrawal was a blow to the tournament at the Hamlet Golf and Country Club in Commack, which also lost Olympic gold medalist Nicolas Massu. In a statement, Agassi said: "While I had hoped to play next week, my results in the last two ATP tournaments have caused fatigue and forced me to re-evaluate my schedule as the U.S. Open approaches."

Agassi would have been the No. 1 seed and No. 1 draw. On Friday, the tournament managed to entice Lleyton Hewitt, the former U.S. Open and Wimbledon champ, with a wild-card berth. He will become the No. 1 seed. Hewitt, who won the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington yesterday, confirmed he will be coming to Long Island.

"I'm extremely disappointed that Andre withdrew," said Elliot Monter, president of the Holiday Organization and owner of the TD Waterhouse Cup. "I'm not so much disappointed for us, but for the fans that won't get a chance to see him. That's who he has disappointed."

The tournament begins today at 4 p.m. The feature match will be Todd Martin, also given a wild card, against Jurgen Melzer of Austria, scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. The opening match will pit Jan-Michael Gambill against qualifier Richard Gasquet. Also withdrawing yesterday was Iraki Labadze, citing personal reasons. Hewitt and two-time defending champion Paradorn Srichaphan will play their opening matches tomorrow.

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc. (Newsday.com)
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote