MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Memorable matches

View Single Post

Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #22
country flag Laba

Laba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond reputeLaba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memorable matches

My most memorable match is from roughly two years ago in the Finals of a comp my friend and I entered in together. With two players to a team, there would be two singles matches followed by a doubles rubber regardless if the result was already 2-0 or needing the final match. So my partner was up first and he lost in a tight two setter, 5-7 3-6 against probably the most skilled player in the comp. I was up next, needing to win to keep our chances alive.

I was nervous yet kept reminding myself that I had beaten my opponent in the first week of round robin play about two months prior; 6-4 6-4. Anyway, I was taken by surprise in the first set 'cause his groundstrokes were much better and he was really hitting through the court. We each exchanged a single break of serve early in the set and it ended up going to a tight tiebreaker which he won 5-7. In the second set, he seemed to be riding on confidence and outside support (he had a fair few people made up of family/friends cheering quite a lot)... and went up 2-4 with a break, and then had 0-40 on my serve, which I happened to fault on my first. At this stage, it all seemed over... I had been off-rhythm in the second set, constructing points well but unable to finish them off... until I heard someone from his group loudly proclaim "Ya might as well give 'em the trophies now!!!"

Needless to say, I fired right up, suddenly became more assault-minded and charged to the net off a kick-serve and smashed the shit out of an overhead to save the first breakpoint. From there, I was just rarely missing, going on to turn the set around and take it 6-4. I carried that momentum on into the third set and powered to a 6(5)-7, 6-4, 6-2 victory... forcing a "live" doubles match which would be one set to determine who won.

We went on to destroy them 6-1, playing our best doubles match of the competition and capturing the trophies from right out of their grasps!
Laba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote