MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2nd Serve Opinion

View Single Post

Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2nd Serve Opinion

Well my coach and I had a discussion that I should mix up my second serves more by throwing in a slice serve about 50% of the time however I disagree with him because I find that the slice serve doesn't clear the net like the kick serve can, so I just leave slice serves for a first serve mix up. Since my first serve goes in about 50-70% of the time and gives me a lot of easy and free points, I typically put a little extra pace to my kick serves when I am hitting a second serve, especially when I am up during my service game. While I do double fault at least a few times during a match, the effect is quite minimal because I don't really lose points on my service games so I could lose free points here and there. But when I'm playing another top junior, I can't afford to play like that because I need all the points I can get so what ends up happening is my second serve gets picked on because the kick serve will just sit up there or I will double fault trying to go for more off the second serve.

So what my coach has proposed is for me to use a slice serve on my second serve half the time. Obviously I am improving my kick serve everyday, so it isn't like I'm stuck. But to "procrastinate" the situation a little longer, should I be using a slice serve as a second serve?
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote