MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Will Murray ever win a clay title?

View Single Post

Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy Murray on clay........

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable unit View Post
I just wanted to discuss his realistic hopes in the future on the clay, please re-direct me if there is another thread already.

Murray has always stated that he enjoys clay court tennis, and had success as a junior however it'll be interetsting to see much sucess he really has. Tactically he was playing a very smart match against Volandri last year before his wrist injury and his intelligence will always get him a few wins. However, one match here and there surely won't be good enough. He probably needs a title on clay and i struggle to see him getting that.

Do people here really think he has that big weapon on clay to manoeuvre his opponent around? As far as i can see, he has great natural hand eye coordination, tremendous balance, hands and retrieval skills. Every now and then he'll suprise a good clay-courter with them having a bad day. But over a tournament i think his lack of a big shot and limited work he puts on the ball will ultimately always cost him.
Murray's weakest part of the game (mental strength aside) is his physical fitness (plus he's prone to injuries). Given that clay is the most physically demanding surface of all, I do not see him having very good results, especially in French Open. If in 2-3 years he improves his physical fitness significantly than maybe he has a chance of getting to semis.

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote