MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - The One-Handed Backhand

View Single Post

Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #10
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The One-Handed Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
This is why Federer loses to Nadal so much on clay, so dont feel too bad that you cant do it either

Another suggestion is to try to take it earlier
It is a bit tough to take everything on rise when you play top players Unless I predict every single shot, but I'm pretty sure that is a bit difficult. But I mean when I do have to time to get to the ball nicely, I take everything on the rise off my backhand side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeter View Post
i've seen a player I know who, when he gets in those situations, leaps like nalbandian and takes it pretty high. Otherwise, i really don't what to say. you could let its come down, take it early, or just run around it. the best thing to do in my opinion is to get a ball machine, set it send nasty spin to your backhand, and just hit a @@@@ load of balls until you get used to it. You could even have someone vary the settings a little bit every ten balls or something
But Nalbandian has a two-hander. Two-handers can do that because they can muscle most shots through. I practice with a ball machine regularily, but the spin is quite unrealistic, Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
The single handed backhand is a very difficult shot even for the pros and generally it will have nowhere near the consistency of a double handed one. The high ball is especially difficult particularly for club level players who aren't the same height on average. I myself use a single handed backhand and while I hit a lot of great winners off it, its nowhere near consistent and I have basically the same problems as you do.

That is why you must appreciate it when you can witness the backhands that the likes of Kuerten and Haas possess.
Well I am at a decent height, almost 6 foot 2 inches. Consistency is not the problem. I can go all day long without missing, my level is past that. The problem is to just hit a high one-handed backhand AS cleanly/solidly/firmly as a low/hitting-zone one-handed backhand. It isn't like I am not getting it back decent; the problem is the ball doesn't land deep enough or get enough topspin to keep the opponent back.

Eh Haas? I don't find his backhand to be amazing. The only one-handed backhands I find nice are probably Kuerten, Gaudio and maybe Gasquet. Kuerten and Gaudio because they can hit the ball so well on clay and hit many winners using their backhands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin Sports View Post
Hkz,

You pose a problem that MANY players face. Regardless of the forehand or backhand side, hitting a high ball is one of the harder parts of tennis. Here is some help. I am a tennis pro, and college player, so I know what its like to play top juniors, in fact, Im playing top division 2 players.

My first advice, when you refer to "hitting the ball on the rise."

1. Make sure you are not hitting the ball too early. Hitting a ball on the rise is dangerous and although it gives your opponent far less time to react, I suggest hitting the ball at the APEX. This means at the highest point. (assuming you are not getting loopy shots from these top players you should have no problem hitting the ball at the highest point because it will be in your comfort zone). My main point being dont hit the ball too early! Hit it that moment before gravity takes over!

Secondly, regarding the high backhand troubles. The reason you need to hit a high backhand is because you missed your optimal contact point (the apex). Therefore, you are hitting a defensive shot! You must fist admit that. At your level right now, Your NEXT best option is to hit the ball on the way down. What important here is that you are still hitting in your comfort zone, the second you step out you are caught up in a shot you are not used to practicing.

Remember how I said if you are hitting the ball up high you are hitting a defensive shot...well, therefore your next best option is a slice.

Lastly, if you plan on hitting topspin on your high backhand you have to remember two things
1. Get under the ball! Even though its a high ball, if you dont get under the ball you will not produce and spin.

2. Secondly, you need to have a low follow through when you hit a high ball (or a low ball). The low follow through will drive the ball rather than produce a loop which is what will happen if you dont have a low follow through.

Good luck, hopefully this will help
I don't understand by having a "low follow" with a one-hander. Obviously you can do that with a two-hander since you can muscle the shot out, but I don't get how you mean it on a one-hander. If you are saying pull it more sideways instead of the usual pulling up, then that is what my coach has been telling me to avoid. Also I don't understand what you mean by "dangerous" when hitting a ball too early. I never have a problem when hitting on the rise, especially when it is early than hitting the ball before getting to the hitting zone. A clarification on your post is much appreciated.

Thanks for comments by the way everyone.
HKz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote