MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams

View Single Post

Old 02-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #59
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MTF Posters Favourite Football Teams (soccer to the uneducated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
No problem, the reply was informative.
I was always a bit confused because I knew East Belfast was where the shipyard workers lived and these were traditionally Prods, in the days before the ''troubles.'' There must have been an enclave of Catholics there though, because I am fairly sure that there was a disgusting amount of house-burnings there in the 60's and 70's.
Yes in East Belfast Short Strand is the major Catholic enclave. It is small, isolated and surrounded by Protestant communities, and in the 60s and 70s there were major problems there, and gun crime was rife. Even as recently as June 2002, there were serious riots with fist fights, petrol bombs thrown and houses damaged or even burnt to the ground. Unsurprisingly the residents there have lived in fear ever since and had to fortify their personal security.
In the last few years the crime rate in East, North and South Belfast has steadily declined, and West Belfast has taken over the mantle as the roughest area of the city.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote